Model Cars Magazine Forum

Taillights and Blue Dots for taillights

I haven't seen them in a while, but HL used to carry a similar product called cabochons that were the same as rhinestones, except they are smooth with a bit of a dome shape. I picked up a couple of bags of them, clear and multicolor in 5mm, but have not seen them in some time. They also came in 3mm and 7mm, IIRC.

At places like Michaels, Jo Annes, etc. Look for small bags of blue sequins, about 2 bucks a bag..... Check the bottom of the clear bag; in the packaging process the little 'punches will show in the bottom ( sometimes a LOT).....These make PERFECT scale blue dots; coat the tail light with clear, place your blue dot where you want it . The slow drying clear will let you move them around and adjust. Let dry, then coat the entire tail light, blue dot and all, with the clear again. I use 'acrylic' clear, because of it's slow drying time......'Z'

For blue dots, try MV lenses. They are intended for model railroaders, but cross over just fine. Hobby shops that carry a lot of RR stuff should have them or be able to order them, and they are available on line, of course. The lenses come in assorted sizes and colors and there are many model car applications where they can be used.