Model Cars Magazine Forum

67 Charger ignition system

This is sort of a stupid question, but if you don't know, you just don't know. I was getting ready to drill my holes for my plug wires and it just didn't look right. I began to do some online research in reference to where the plug wires went on the 67 Charger and it looks like they go into the top of the valve cover. When i pulled the valve covers out of the green bath (taking off the Chrome) they appear to be made for this arrangement.

Is this an arrangement for individual ignition modules. If I run the wires into the top of the valve covers - will I be right.

Thanks for all the help in the past and future. Obviously, auto shop was not available to me :)

Also, does anyone know of a model club near Raleigh NC ? None listed in the section.

Wayne

If the Charger engine in question has very wide valve covers, it is a Hemi engine and the plug wired do go through the center of the cover. Since the 67 Charger model wasn't issued with the 440 wedge, I would say that is what you have.

Andy, might I suggest you narrow your field of answer. Not all engines with plugs going through their valve covers are Hemi headed. Look at the modern DOHC set-ups. Are they Hemi? By your words, they are. But they aren't.......they are what is called a Pentroof design. Basically two wedge configurations placed back-to-back with the plug in the middle. The Honda D-series engines aren't Hemi either, and their plugs go into the cover. Their B and H series motors are also straight-through the cover, but are DOHC Pentroof heads.

Edited by whale392

Andy, might I suggest you narrow your field of answer. Not all engines with plugs going through their valve covers are Hemi headed. Look at the modern DOHC set-ups. Are they Hemi? By your words, they are. But they aren't.......they are what is called a Pentroof design. Basicallt two wedge configurations placed back-to-back with the plug in the middle.

I forgot about the Pentroof! I read about that a while ago and then I forgot about it, not a very popular head design...

Andy, hate to break this to you, but you need to go back and read. ALL current DOHC designs are based on the Pentroof head. Didn't work well my tail, it works fantastic. It combines the best aspects of a wedge and Hemi head. Perhaps, when you are older and wiser, you will learn to keep quiet until you really KNOW what you are talking about. You just made yourself look foolish; please go back and edit your reply.

To the original poster: http://www.offroaders.com/tech/images/Plymouth_Hemi_Cuda_engine-gnu.jpg, http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1257/1434056225_b3097736f5.jpg

These photos should help.

Edited by whale392

Andy, hate to break this to you, but you need to go back and read. ALL current DOHC designs are based on the Pentroof head. Didn't work well my tail, it works fantastic. It combines the best aspects of a wedge and Hemi head. Perhaps, when you are older and wiser, you will learn to keep quiet until you really KNOW what you are talking about. You just made yourself look foolish; please go back and edit your reply.

I made a mistake, why am I suddenly the jerk now?

If you look back at my first post,

Yup, any engine with spark plug wires going through the valves covers is a Hemi. since the combustion chamber is a hemispherical design, the spark plus is in the middle.

See what I did there? I made it CLEAR that I didn't say that if the plugs are in the middle it's automatically a Hemi.

I'll be honest, I don't know a whole lot about most engines other than domestic ones. I do, however, know a fair amount about the other parts.

Edited by Andy C.

Andy, you are what, 14? You wanted to come off like you knew what I was talking about and sound like you actually know something. That is what is called a fake, a posuer. If you don't know, keep quiet. You tried with the Hemi thing..........but you epic failed with the Pentroof.

Andy, you are what, 14? You wanted to come off like you knew what I was talking about and sound like you actually know something. That is what is called a fake, a posuer. If you don't know, keep quiet. You tried with the Hemi thing..........but you epic failed with the Pentroof.

I'm 13.

I don't know what the big deal is, and when you said pentroof I DID know what you were talking about!!!! I did a bunch of studying on engines a couple years ago, but I've forgotten some of it.

Sorry Wayne for this being completely off topic. I had no intentions of people coming in and screwing with me and completely changing the topic.

Edited by Andy C.

Andy, you said, 'Any engine with the spark plug wire through the valve covers is a Hemi' YOUR WORDS. Get it right or SHUT UP. Not all heads with plugs through the valve covers are HEMIS. God are you dense. You want a real schooling, we can take this to PM.

Edited by whale392

Andy, you said, 'Any engine with the spark plug wire through the valve covers is a Hemi' YOUR WORDS. Get it right or SHUT UP. Not all heads with plugs through the valve covers are HEMIS. God are you dense.

And you missed, yet again, where I said, " since the combustion chamber is a hemispherical design"

Excuse me Mr. Moderator! We need a clean up on aisle three. Brad, he's a kid. Cut him some slack. I got one that will shoot his mouth off about anything he's heard two facts about. I've tried to break him of the habit by "schooling him" as you put it but it just doesn't take.

We took it to PM, Rob. Hopefully, he will get what I was trying to tell him with my first reply to him, before he persisted with the 'You misread me' stuff. That is why I left this thread. Still, if he wants to 'spit fact', he had best have an idea of what he is talking about, because he just made himself look foolish here.

and, if i can add something missed in the replies to the original question: no, the Chrysler Hemi doesn't use individual coils for each spark plug as is done in many modern cars. those are rubber boots to seal the openings, and simply extend down to the plug through tubes. i suppose, though, that some manufacturer probably does make a system like that today, just not as a stock item.

many engines share the hemispherical combustion chamber design, but only Chrysler owns the right to the name "Hemi" for it, or at least they did for a very long time.