Model Cars Magazine Forum

Prius Model Kit - Preorders taken

i know this is a model forum, but since someone start talking about real cars, just want to share my personal experience, driven alot of japanese cars, few european cars and couple fords,

both fords had a transmission blown up with less than 100,000 miles

2001 benz c class, and 2007 bmw 335, lots of electronic gadgets starts failing as early as 20,000 miles on european cars (good thing still under warranty),

most of japanese cars driven pass 150,000miles without major problems, got a 1990 honda civic, got stolen, bought for $8,700, insurance paid me $7,200 after 8 years with almost 100,000 miles on it, bought a 1991 toyota MR2 with 100,000miles on it for $3,500, someone total my car at 160,000 miles, insuranced paid me $4,500

currently driving a 1995 bmw 325 with 250,000miles and still going.

when this one breaks, going to buy a subaru

japanese cars overrated? unless every one in the industry and myself are lying

japanese cars overpriced? maybe so, but wait until when you resell it and you know why (highest resell value unless everyone int he industry and myself--with the insurance check are lying)

maybe i am lying....

i know everyone has their own perference otherwise there are alot of manufactuers are already long gone.

Hey... did somebody say "hideously ugly" and was there mention of a Nissan Juke? How about a kit of THAT???? Or an Isuzu Vehicross? Yes, I'd buy either of those in kit form, and yes, I'm being dead serious. I'd even consider a Nissan Cube...

What have you been waiting for? :)

Tamiya1_32_800.jpg

Tamiya1_32Geo_800.jpg

Attention all boring traditionalists! There is plenty of fun & plenty of life in the post-Model T, post-'32 Ford, post-'49 Merc, post-'57 Chevy, post-'69 Camaro world :D

When I built this Tamiya kit, it was before it (the 1:1) went on sale in the US. Somehow the photo ended up on the 'net and I had people contacting me asking me how I got my 1:1 VehiCROSS so early and how much they loved it. Most of them were people who were on waiting lists for the real thing :D Tiny market, but most enthusiastic. I've ridden in a VehiCROSS...it's just a shortened Rodeo underneath...slow, thirsty, rides like a hobby horse but looks like a moon buggy.

VehiCROSS5-vi.jpg

VehiCROSS4-vi.jpg

VehiCROSS3-vi.jpg

Cover your eyes and go hug your '57 Chevy ;) I need to print out a new license plate that says "SMUG" B)

IMG_1501-vi.jpg

IMG_1503-vi.jpg

IMG_1505-vi.jpg

support, support, support, we all need someone like you to keep the model world turning, otherwise the industry will just slowly dies, both isuzu and prius are very nice project, though may not be a nice 1:1 to own---just like alot of the models on my shelf. after all they are just toys that cost relatively low and gives you days of fun. very nice build btw!

Thanks for the comments; I do love building offbeat subjects, sometimes boring...lots of guys love boring old cars like Falcons, I like some boring new cars like the Prius :P

I love the shape of the car, it's a shame to me that it belongs to such a dull car to drive. Ditto the VehiCROSS...I love the moonbuggy styling, but it's nothing special at all underneath...rides like a buckboard, sucks gas at a prodigious rate, performance? What performance?

Thanks for the comments; I do love building offbeat subjects, sometimes boring...lots of guys love boring old cars like Falcons, I like some boring new cars like the Prius :rolleyes:

I love the shape of the car, it's a shame to me that it belongs to such a dull car to drive. Ditto the VehiCROSS...I love the moonbuggy styling, but it's nothing special at all underneath...rides like a buckboard, sucks gas at a prodigious rate, performance? What performance?

What do you think the chances are for a Juke kit? I really want to get my hands on one.

, it's a shame to me that it belongs to such a dull car to drive.

Precisely why I don't care much for American cars. And, yes, when you stomp on a muscle car and it lights up the tires and starts fishtailing, that's no so boring. But then, you have to drive it everywhere else. :rolleyes: Like steroids ... cheap muscle.

What do you think the chances are for a Juke kit? I really want to get my hands on one.

I have no idea. If it's made in Japan, maybe. If it's a Japanese nameplate but American-made for American consumers, doubtful.

Precisely why I don't care much for American cars. And, yes, when you stomp on a muscle car and it lights up the tires and starts fishtailing, that's no so boring. But then, you have to drive it everywhere else. :P Like steroids ... cheap muscle.

I have a friend who has owned his Cobra 289 for 36 years now ('cause it's a lousy daily driver ;) ). It's one of my favorite looking cars of all time, his car is gorgeous, I've been lucky to ride in it to a few car shows. It is also a beast; it has more than plenty of power. Even w/the 289, it twists and squirms under aggressive acceleration which in itself is almost breathtaking. The 427's are insanely overkill...the 289 has all kinds of character already :D

IMG_9891-vi.jpg

Precisely why I don't care much for American cars. And, yes, when you stomp on a muscle car and it lights up the tires and starts fishtailing, that's no so boring. But then, you have to drive it everywhere else. :D Like steroids ... cheap muscle.

i am impressed that you have the gut to say that outloud cuz u are seriously getting into a lots nerve. muscle cars are not that bad, its just that they should advance their model making a little bit, the challenger i bought couple years ago is virtually identical to the one i got 20 years ago. back then $4.99 and now $20.99, come on, change that stupid vinyl tires and make the front wheels steerable, no heavy mold lines, window masking, better chrome, better glass etc. etc. etc. just improvement please. instead of SOS---same old shxx.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

let's be real here guys. we are headed toward the end of modeling as we know it. :D just think about it for a minute. everything is going electric, our government is slowly weaning us off gasoline and making the car companies push these so-called cars on us. what started model cars in the first place? the car companies and Americas love for the automobile, right?

what about racing? Dragracing, Nascar, Le-Mans and, even boat racing have fueled our passion to build what we like to build. Now, with fuel prices skyrocketing, racing companies are going to get to where they can't afford to back a dragster or a circletrack car so, there goes the models for our model cars, boats and what have you. i'm sorry but there is no way i could support a dragster with a big battery in the engine bay, with a 671 blower strapped to it and them tell me it's Supercharged :D also, on down the road, the Cuda, Mustang and Vette models (just some of the staples of the model world) will be discontinued and everyone will not be able to afford to pay $200 bucks for a kit because we will be paying for the national debt ;) just the truth in my opinion. thanks guys.

Jim

Love it, a 6-door! Can anyone else picture a mid-engined sleeper with big-n-littles? Get creative, these are what our grandkids will be driving, and they will make their own memories just as we did in our '64 Falcons or '75 Vegas while we were dreaming of SS Chevelles and hemi Roadrunners!

• 5 weeks later...

I might build that Prius hearse just simply because it's so hideous, it proves that they're not all that wonderful afterall! And that Prius limo is just weird.

I did, however, see a great license plate on a Prius when I was up in New Hampshire a couple of weeks. I believe it was a silver one, and it read "VLTSWGN."

Well....I liked the plate.

Charlie Larkin