Model Cars Magazine Forum

mustang with # mark martin nascar swap

Scanduhless

Hey my names Chad and I made this account tonight. Before deciding to post these pics I had no Idea that people were doing things that are happening on this forum. Before knowing, I thought of myself as a crazed drug addict for trying a motor swap on a plastic model car. Thanks to you guys maybe now I can fit in somewhere, and no im not a drug addict, maybe a model car addict! When I was 16 years old my girlfriend at the time told me to throw away all my model cars that I had worked on throughout my life. I threw away 16 model cars including some my grandfathers that he had put together in the mid-60's. I know, stupid me. Luckily I decided to get a zip-lock bag and keep a few cars and mostly parts that i was attracted to at the time thinking I might throw something crazy together later on when she's gone. Well shes gone now so here it is. Yes im new and im def behind all of you guys. Sorry if ive disrespected anyone with a chevy engine in a ford if thats right..?.?. Also I havent quite mastered my camera with these cars so the quality is extremely poor, Heres my first build since when I was way younger. Im 24 now. I have a few more that are in progress and ill try to post them soon. Heres the mustang. Idk what year it is or what brand of kit it is. Its not the prettiest youve ever seen but with this forum ive now discovered I no longer feel like an idiot for spending so much time on a piece of plastic resembling a car. Tell me what you think. Im just now beginning to get the feel in the extreme details. Most of my distributors are red to try and resemble an MSD. Let me know what you think im all ears! It has an engine out of a random #6 Mark Martin valvoline ford that I dont have the box to so I have no idea what it is. I had to do alot of cutting to the firewall and bottom of the floor boards to make this work. Everything on the engine was previously been painted and has a few missing parts. One of my friends had given me the Mustang with a missing engine and multiple parts that I had to make myself including the battery which was made out of an off brand cigarette lighter. Painted yellow to resemble an optima...idk thought it would be cool. Chrome oil catch can in the front rad support that I made out of the frame your parts come from in a kit from the Cobra im trying to post. Hell it even has a gear shift I'd found from a lamborgini diablo model. Wheels and tires are from a 32 ford coupe that I have no idea the brand of kit. I really liked how the headers show under the car real well. I had to heat the plastic to bend the headers so they wouldnt rub the bottom of the floor pan and look level. I did not paint it I believe the car came this way right out of the box. Its prety much done I have more that need finished including a 67 426 Charger, Shelby Cobra and an Audi R8 I got for my birthday. Both are over half way done, I can wait to show you guys and see what you think

post-11772-0-99770500-1364788529_thumb.j

post-11772-0-28912200-1364788559_thumb.j

post-11772-0-76416200-1364788587_thumb.j

post-11772-0-67962700-1364788614_thumb.j

post-11772-0-77938700-1364788637_thumb.j

post-11772-0-62647600-1364788694_thumb.j

Edited by Scanduhless

Here is the Shelby Cobra i've been working on since may of last year. Once again poor quality photos im sorry. Any advice on getting a good photo would be great. This house has poor natural lighting and with the flash off its very dark. I wish you guys could see my details on the carb

wait idk how to add more photos do I just need to make another thread?

loved this build even though its almost over. Having a hard time with the body of the cars paint orange peeling. I have no contamination just poor paint. Fearing that everything will look good except the body. Sorry for the poor quality photos. Any advice? Im all open ear, just avoid telling me its a p.o.s.

post-11772-0-26890800-1364790360_thumb.j

post-11772-0-80700600-1364790386_thumb.j

post-11772-0-59731500-1364790418_thumb.j

post-11772-0-26414100-1364790446_thumb.j

post-11772-0-39808100-1364790478_thumb.j

we won't flog you very much for putting a chevy engine into a Mustang but try to keep that stuff to a minimum. (just kidding)

welcome aboard, we all start somewhere...I haven't seen anyone that starts out as an expert model builder yet.

Edited by blunc

also, Is my driveshaft incorrect on the shelby?

the tailshaft on the transmission seems to be sitting a little high and may cause other fit problems when you go to assemble to frame to the interior/body.

see if you can find some photos on the internet of some cobra frames to use as a reference as to how it should look.

we have a few cobra experts here that can help also.

Edited by blunc

Greatly appreciated! Expert, You may be lying to yourself. You need to see some better photos before you start throwing out words like that. Im not that good but ill gladly take your reply. Heres some pics of a Chevelle I threw together at 9 years of age. Its goofy and supposed to be that way. It has an O-ring I found laying around from my shop that I put a random velocity stack lying around on top of it. It also has Lamborgini rear wheels that are fat. Ill never change anything on it just because thats what I wanted to do to it at the time and its a good memory

post-11772-0-43773900-1364791210_thumb.j

post-11772-0-43284600-1364791238_thumb.j

post-11772-0-28147900-1364791285_thumb.j

the tailshaft on the transmission seems to be sitting a little high and may cause other fit problems when you go to assemble to frame to the interior/body.

see if you can find some photos on the internet of some cobra frames to use as a reference as to how it should look.

we have a few cobra experts here that can help also.

Yes, the interior/box whateve you wanna call it does not sink down where it should be. I tried pulling it apart and broke the skinny piece that fits into the rear-end so ill have to do some magic. If you didnt notice I did the same with the drivers side rear coil and it is floating between the top mount because it is broke off. There is nothing a can do with that so itll have to stay. Tried my best. Fail

welcome! i'm pretty new here myself and have been made to feel very welcomed as i'm sure you will be as well. i think your work looks just fine, love the stang. also i'm currently working on one of those r8s except mine has a a blown hemi from a top fuel dragster in it and also the huge goodyear slicks. it's in the "on the workbench thread somewhere.

welcome! i'm pretty new here myself and have been made to feel very welcomed as i'm sure you will be as well. i think your work looks just fine, love the stang. also i'm currently working on one of those r8s except mine has a a blown hemi from a top fuel dragster in it and also the huge goodyear slicks. it's in the "on the workbench thread somewhere.

Nice. I cant find it let me know what page its on. There's 200+ pages. I doubt ill go much over with stock on the Audi though im having thoughts on keeping the brakes that connect in between the wheels for something else later on. R8 brakes on an old muscle car. I think that would be cool. I thought about the R8 engine in the Chevelle but it would be hard to figure out a tranny that would be compatible/believable to anyone since its a rear engine with the tranny already connected. Maybe, but im liking how its looking so far and the chevelle is something I built as a kid and not really wanting to change. I have 4 more cars Ill post soon. knarf, What are your plans with the R8 engine you didnt use?

Edited by Scanduhless

blunc if you dont mind to point me in the direction of the Cobra guys please do. Many problems with that build

I don't have their names memorized but if you scan through the Under Glass thread for cobra models I'm sure you will run across at least 2 builders (probably more) that can give you some tips on how to tweak your cobra back into proper shape. I have seen some amazing replicas and custom cobras in that thread.

remember, it's just plastic and can usually be glued back together.

Nice. I cant find it let me know what page its on. There's 200+ pages. I doubt ill go much over with stock on the Audi though im having thoughts on keeping the brakes that connect in between the wheels for something else later on. R8 brakes on an old muscle car. I think that would be cool. I thought about the R8 engine in the Chevelle but it would be hard to figure out a tranny that would be compatible/believable to anyone since its a rear engine with the tranny already connected. Maybe, but im liking how its looking so far and the chevelle is something I built as a kid and not really wanting to change. I have 4 more cars Ill post soon. knarf, What are your plans with the R8 engine you didnt use?

i have no plans for the r8 engine beyond assembly/paint and then stash it in the corner of my scale garage. do you have a use for it? also i just spent an hour goin thru the on the bench thread and can't find my r8 post so i'll add it to my phototbucket and you can check out the link at the bottom of my profile to check it out if you want.