Model Cars Magazine Forum

When do you open your kits?

Me? I open my kits right away. Usually it's in the car or the store parking lot, even just to see the decal sheet or any obvious flaws.

Then, when I get home, all the bags get opened and everything gets checked over. Ideas are written down, reference material is found, then the notes and parts go back into the box until I start it.

So when do you open your kits?

It depends. Some I open right away, but I usually leave the inner bags intact. The only time I tear everything open is when I start a kit. But then I have many that have been opened, started, but are not finished yet ... some more than ten to fifteen years ago. :lol:

Edited by Bill Eh?

Unless it is one that I have multiples of, as soon as I get home! I don't care even if it is an old kit still sealed I pick up at a show or off ebay, the shirk wrap dies as soon as I have it home. The only few sealed kits that I have are multiples, and that is my little way of telling myself that I bought that kit JUST to build the way it is supposed to be, so keep my grubby paws off the parts!! :lol:

The only time I look through kits before getting them home is if they are open already at a show or the couple of shops in my area that sell parts of collections and/or estates. Once doing that, I even taught the one shop to start looking through kits, I found an old Monogram Lamborghini Countach I wanted and found this when I opened the box:

HPIM2262.jpg

I showed it to the shop manager, and thought he was going to faint or throw up! :lol: He looked at me and said "Just take it and I guess I need to start going through the boxes before I put them on the shelf!" At least I got an ugly free paperweight! :lol:

I only open a kit if I don't have one and haven't seen the contents in person. If I buy multiples of a kit, there's no reason to open them, and as said before it will make it easier to sell them someday, not that I ever have sold anything! :lol:

And I only open them once home with them, because I usually cut the edges of the shrink wrap aligned with the bottom of the box edges. That leaves the box top still shrink wrapped to save shelf wear. I've been doing that for 25 years once a friend showed me how he did that!

Immediately on receipt at home.

Most of my kits are older and I get them on eBay. If a listing says "sealed," most of those have been resealed; I ask the seller to open the kit and vouch for the integrity of what's inside. I've been about 50% successful with getting cooperation.

Worst case scenario : Opening up an old kit and finding the tires melted to several major parts. :unsure:

70's AMT kits are notorious . I bought two factory-sealled Matador annuals (1975 and 1976) in 2004 , and each one had tyres burns on the windshield(s) and backlite(s) !

Those irritating two-piece tyres !!

80's MPC kits are bad , too . I bought a factory-sealled 1984 Corvette (the more-common gold version) and the (annoyingly-incorrect) BFG's chemically-fused them-selves with the hatch 'glass' (deep-inpression , too !) and the windshield (to a lesser extent) .

I open kits upon receiving them ( mail order ) or when I get home (LHS purchase) .

Since kits are packaged a lot nicer these days (i.e. , dissimilar materials are separated / bagged separately , and decals have a "wax-type" paper buffer on the printed-side) , I only look for what's not there (e.g. , missing parts , incomplete moulding , etc.) and damage .

For me, if it's a kit I've had before or I have multiples of, I leave it alone till I'm ready to build it. I have a case of the reissued Ca Hauler Pete and a case of Italeri 378s. Why open every one of them. If it's a kit that's new to me, I open it right away. Just to check it out, look over the chrome, give the instructions a quick gander, look it over for the mods I have in mind, and how am I gonna go about doing the mods.

Edited by Petetrucker07