Model Cars Magazine Forum

Has anyone built the Revell, MPC and AMT '83 1/25 Z28s?

Monty

Looks like they all offered their own version of the '83 Z28, but I'd like to have some reviews of the

kits' accuracy, features, foibles and any other aspect worthy of comment.

Here's all I know:

1) The MPC kit seems decent - they even got around to changing the engine over to the Camaro's version of the Cease err, Crossfire V8, which they neglected to do for the '82 'Vette. The chassis looks somewhat better than the mediocre offerings of most of their 1970s products, and the body seems to be correct, although I'm not an expert on Camaros. My biggest objection, as with most MPC vehicles, is the cheesy chromed headlights. A couple clear lenses could'a really been a game-changer on this kit at virtually no extra cost.

2) Revell offered a Z28 as well as a Berlinetta version. The Z28 box art I saw didn't give me a whole lot of information, but it implies that it's engineered for poseable steering (almost always a plus for me). Going by what I saw (tiny pictures), they seem to have captured the body accurately. No idea what the engine or chassis are like.

3) Just found out that AMT took a shot at this as well, although there's not much information out there on it either. The box art isn't terribly inspiring, but the instructions I found posted on Drastic Plastic show that AMT gave it the old college try. According to the illustrations, the chassis seems to have a couple nice (separate) suspension pieces and the engine seems to have all the basic elements to depict the Crossfire V8.

So, let's see what you have to say. Pics are more than welcome, especially when making comparisons.

I've built all the third gen camaro kits. My favorite is the AMT (the one without T tops). It has the best engine compartment detail, the chassis, the body looks correct, overall seemed the moste accurate, although it has a manual trans eventhough the crossfire was only available with an auto. The revell one is not good, the engine is a weird Pontiac/Chevy thing, the body is not quite right the grill has no license plate surround etc. I'll try and get some pics soon.

I've built all the third gen camaro kits. My favorite is the AMT (the one without T tops). It has the best engine compartment detail, the chassis, the body looks correct, overall seemed the moste accurate, although it has a manual trans eventhough the crossfire was only available with an auto. The revell one is not good, the engine is a weird Pontiac/Chevy thing, the body is not quite right the grill has no license plate surround etc. I'll try and get some pics soon.

Interesting information, Chris. I look forward to seeing your pics.

The MPC kit is an '82, not that it makes much of a difference. Their "1983" annual was the 1982 Indy 500 pace car. They were usually a year behind with pace cars, because the Speedway announced the choice well after the annual kits were issued for a given model year...