Model Cars Magazine Forum

I started on this project about 5 months ago, and got just a few days work done before havnig to pack up for a move to our new house. Now, we are getting settled in, and I can start building again, so this is first on the bench.

This is intened to be an early 60's style custom, and is part of ModelCarsUnlimited group build 3-N-One where the object is to take three or more major body parts from different kits, and create your own unique vehicle. To that end, I am working on C-N-Things. I main cab is made from cutting down the side panels of a Paddy wagon kit, and using the sides to form the back of the cab. The enterior will be tuck-n-roll using plastruct half round. The roof was also cut from the Paddy Wagon, but had to be narrowed, and shortened. I will have more pics of the roof in the next couple of days. The fenders and bed are from the '29 Ford Rat Rod kit, and the bed has bene shortened about 6 scale inches. The cowl and dash will likely come from the same Paddy Wagon kit, but not possitive yet. The grille may be a 32 Ford Unit or custom one similar to the Ala-Kart. The engine is still undecided, but will be something more for show that go, with lots of chrome.

Looks great so far Mark. That 3-N-1 build sounds like it would be fun. Kind of what I'm in the process of now. Body of the 53 Vicky, top of a 66 Mustang and chassis and interior of a 06 Mustang. Engine block is a Polar Lights NASCAR 427. Fun project.

Keep up the progress.

Later-

Thanks Ira and Hoosierfarmboy (also a Hoosier myself from Anderson, although I now live in Phoenix area).

I managed to get almost a full day of model building in today

These first pictures show where I took the the Paddy Wagon roof and narrowed and shortened it, ended up being 4 pieces in order to use the backside of the roof lip.

I have also removed all the texture as I want the paint to be smooth like the rest of the body.

• 3 weeks later...

Got more done on C-N-Things. Found a seat from an old Monogram kit, but since it was molded in the bucket I had to cut it free which resulted in no sides. I used some two part Milliput putty to mold some in. In this picture below it has the rough coat of primer/filler and still needs sanded. I also am using the 32 grille from the Switchers kit. Also, since this is on the 60s style of custom, I am making a Tonneau cover and then covering it with simulated tuck-n-roll with half round plastruct, still drying in this pic so not yet trimmed.

• 3 weeks later...

I got some more done. I cut the molded in tie rod off and made a new one from brass rod, used the ends of the original piece. After Narrowing the front axle, I put the spindles back on using brass the brass rod from previous pics, and trimmed pins will hold them in place allowing them to be posed. Finally, I added sheet styrene to the the fender section to create a floorboard. I have a lot to do, but am planning on trying to have this done by the 21st. Should be under paint this weekend.

20120407_172441_906-vi.jpg20120407_172455_697-vi.jpg

20120407_172504_347-vi.jpg20120407_172533_496-vi.jpg

I will also be leaving the engine block white.

20120407_172522_153-vi.jpg20120407_172516_528-vi.jpg

Took the Ala Kart rear axle, like the looks but not the fact it was upper and lower molded seperate. Stripped the chrome, molded together, and reshot with Alclad

20120421_081055_767-vi.jpg

20120421_081128_457-vi.jpg

Also, the front axle shot with Alclad after the modifications

20120421_081154_885-vi.jpg

Also, the front firewall in what I am pretty sure is the final configuration, ready for final primer

20120421_081334_256-vi.jpg

I hated missing the show, not only not getting to enter anything. It turned out my wife's annual company picknic was the same day this year. Complete bummer on the day. It should indeed be there on the tables next year tho. I will post a few more progress pictures today.

Looking good, Mark.

Too bad it missed the DSC deadline, but there's always next year!

Keep up the good work.

B)

• 3 months later...

Finally up on all fours!

post-8985-0-48956200-1344211071_thumb.jp

Exhaust made from brass and aluminum tubing, may end up being painted red to resemble Thrush mufflers, or Steel Metalizer. post-8985-0-30424200-1344211210_thumb.jp

The dash with some old Wizard of Oh's as bezels and gauges printed from Iggy and Seb'shttp://www.modeljunk...m/about_us.html

post-8985-0-31934000-1344211363_thumb.jp

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark