Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

I stopped at a garage sale and bought a wood tool box for some of my model tools. I think it is a good deal for 20.00. It kinda looks like a Harbor Freight version, but I can't tell for sure.

IMAG0074.jpg

My Father was a tool and die maker and this box looks like his must have been when he started out, too bad that his box was so worn out it was not worth saving when he passed on.

Bob

Not today but this summer investment:

- R&R Hudson 4-door '48 resin kit

- R&R Rambler 4-door sedan '59 resin kit

- Jo-Han 1959 Rambler Wagon '59

- Monogram CJ-7

- RMR Jeep Wagoneer resin kit

- Revell Jeep Honcho

- Missing Link AMC Ambassador 2D HT '69 resin kit

- MCW AMC Matador '72 Race Car resin kit

- MCW AMC Ambassador 2D HT '66 resin kit

- Revell Mustang LX 5.0 '90 (I don't know why I bought this, maybe the nice box art)

+ resin parts, tires, engines and so on...

All bought from USA. You can't find old interesting kits (Nash, Hudson, Jeep, Rambler, AMC) in Finland and new releases are too expensive.

Fantasy Printshop Carbon Fiber waterslide decal sheet.

Detail Master 10feet Ignition wire.

Hobby Design FRP Max racing seats.

Resin Mopar steelies with dog dish,2 sets.

Resin Chevy Mystery motor air cleaner x 2.

58 Cadillac Eldorado conv glue bomb/project.

65 Chevrolet Chevelle w Camper (sealed) AMT

Only 6.50 for a kit on clearance at HL? Around here the best the kits on clearance get is 40% off. They don't get marked down anymore than that. I think the tool box will work well for things like files, exacto knives, etc.

My bad it was $8.50. Still thats a good deal and I'm going to pick up another for my grandson.

G

Thanks Andy. I may have pulled the trigger a little early saying I have the job. It's through a temp service on a temp to hire...the employers option, but at least I have my foot in the door.

Congrats! Still you have a place to work on Monday. I've been out a while myself. Every so often I have something that appears to be working towards an offer that never comes. The last one was a consulting position that I was ideal for. The position was cancelled so nobody got it!

Congrats! Still you have a place to work on Monday. I've been out a while myself. Every so often I have something that appears to be working towards an offer that never comes. The last one was a consulting position that I was ideal for. The position was cancelled so nobody got it!

I had an interview once back in the dot.bomb era where when I showed up at the office for an interview they were boxing up and moving out..the company had shut down.

I had an interview once back in the dot.bomb era where when I showed up at the office for an interview they were boxing up and moving out..the company had shut down.

OUCH!

I'll bet that's one job you're glad you didn't take; if they were that bad off, and you landed it, your first assignment might well have been to package the office supplies.

Charlie Larkin

OUCH!

I'll bet that's one job you're glad you didn't take; if they were that bad off, and you landed it, your first assignment might well have been to package the office supplies.

Charlie Larkin

Things were pretty crazy back in '99-01 in the software biz...I had one company make me a six-figure offer after only a 30 min phone interview...didn't even want an in-person interview, wanted me to start the next day, 100 miles away. I think that company tanked a few months later.

Back around 1982 I was working for a large engineering firm that had geared up for US Dept of Energy Alternative Fuel projects. One Friday, our government said, "Oops we changed our minds." and cancelled the funding so all those huge projects came to a screeching halt. They had people starting Monday that they couldn't reach to tell them they had no jobs!

Late 2008 I had set up an out of country gig as a PMC in A'stan. I was scheduled to leave Valentine's day '09 for a year. High six figure tax free instructor job, sort of hazardous, nothing a 50+ guy like me couldn't handle.

Two weeks before leaving the country the State Dept. decided not to recognize the contracts, told us all we'd be considered ex-pat mercenaries and oh and, have a nice day.

Two weeks after that I met the current MrsG, rescinded my resignation and have enjoyed life immensely.

G

Ok...this is the last post on this for me. I got the paperwork in order this morning and I start on Monday. Don't know exactly what I'll be doing except that it's at Quikrete(Wisconsin plant) which will allow me to keep buying models and supplies(that model related thing again :rolleyes:).

Edited by The70judgeman

Today was a little like Christmas in August.

My parents usually give me some money for my birthday, which was the 5th, with instructions to get something fun. Having a thing for full-size Buicks, and Buicks in general, I was originally looking for a 1964 Riviera...then I stumbled across this. A 1964 Wildcat! It does need some TLC, and some parts replaced, but what a lovely model of a rather pretty car. I'll be ordering a hood and steering wheel from The Modelhaus, I have a goofed-up '66 Wildcat downstairs that will supply wheels, tires, and at least parts of the engine.

What's really nice is that the car is only screwed together for the chassis/body, making disassembly pretty easy. I paid a bit more than I'd like to have, but this is a bit of a scarce model and will be well worth it when done. The only real problem I see with it is where some part (exhaust, I'm betting), fell off the chassis plate, and left terrible glue marks. I'm wondering if I might be able to modify the Revell 1963-64 Impala frame/floor as the worst-case scenario. if anyone else has any ideas, feel free to share.

DSC_0340_zps013b06aa.jpg

DSC_0343_zpsece4fdc2.jpg

DSC_0342_zps37594c45.jpg

DSC_0341_zps585547bf.jpg

DSC_0344_zpsc6df4199.jpg

Next up was the '57 Ford police car. I got a VERY good deal on it.

DSC_0345_zps3a9eec94.jpg

Although not modeling-related, strictly speaking, it will be used for a lot of modeling photography. This is an Olympus IS-2, a 35mm SLR with a built-in lens. Olympus uses the same basic body for some of its digital cameras. What makes this one handy is the magnificent macro lens that's built into it, really good for up-close and details. I'll be running some Fujichrome Velvia 50 through it this fall to photograph plants and flowers, and other autumn items.

DSC_0346_zps4070ae16.jpg

Charlie Larkin

Nice little camera there Charlie. Just one question though....where are you finding 35mm film? Seems not many places are carrying it anymore...not that I've been looking for it. Camera shops perhaps. Guess you just have to find it and stock up! I was just looking at the '57 Ford Police Car yesterday myself at the hobby store, but didn't buy anything. :o Weird...I usually leave the store with something!

Nice little camera there Charlie. Just one question though....where are you finding 35mm film? Seems not many places are carrying it anymore...not that I've been looking for it. Camera shops perhaps.

I wonder if there are many places left that develop it either....I haven't used film cameras in probably at least 10 years..

I like the Buick Charlie. First I would see how that chassis cleans up and how much of that glue mess would be covered up by an exhaust system. Otherwise, I'd first look at the repops of the '62 Electra. And as you mentioned there are a number of Chevys of that era with that same style center wishbone chassis. Fit, both wheel base and body to chassis, will tell you what's best.

I wonder if there are many places left that develop it either....I haven't used film cameras in probably at least 10 years..

There's not. Anymore you have to send it in to get developed. The cost of that and buying film are just going to keep going up. I'll just stick with my trusty Canon T2i DSLR.

There's not. Anymore you have to send it in to get developed. The cost of that and buying film are just going to keep going up. I'll just stick with my trusty Canon T2i DSLR.

My father was a life long photographer and lived for 35mm. He shot mostly slides and I have tons of old family photos due to his addiction. He died right as digital cameras were coming out. The month after he died, I got my first Sony FD83 camera for $800. I think he'd be wavering beyond being amazed at the digital technology and mourning the loss of his beloved film!

I started shooting B&W 35mm when i was 14, i spent every penny i made on film and processing only to have 50% of the pictures to turn out not to my liking. When i got my first digital camera 6 years later i thought they were so expensive till i figured out what the pictures would have cost me if i was using 35mm. Now it doesn't bother me to spend 600.00 on a used lens.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...