Model Cars Magazine Forum

how to make old style metal spark plug connectors?

I'm thinking of getting back to the build of my '51 Plymouth straight 6 engine and one thing that put a pause on it was modeling the spark plug connectors. These are those old metal connectors .. made from sheet metal with a 90 degree bend and clamped around the wire with a press fit to the plug. They were all bare metal and were about the wire insulation diameter. I found one photo below.

Some thoughts I had were slitting the plug wire insulation so it would bend to 90 degrees, gluing and painting silver. I think this might be a tough glue job without making some jig.

I do have some rubber spark plug boots that I could just paint silver but these are large compared to the plug wire. Last possibility I will just use there as is. I do have some cast spark plugs I'd like to use and these would cover more of the plug that I want to.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

50Plymouth_mainfolds.jpg

Edited by Foxer

• 3 years later...

photo research has shown these engines with straight plug boots, 90-deg boots and no boots at all.

if you are trying to replicate the plug wires in your photo, I suggest making your own plugs...

drill a hole into plastic rod that you will use as the porcelain part of the plug and insert the bare plug wire (remove the outer insulating layer) with a crisp 90-deg bend into the drilled rod, then drill a hole into some Plastruct hex rod to insert the "porcelain" rod into, mount this into the spark plug holes and complete the paint detailing.

Thanks for the photo link. Tom. Like all my builds, I'll get back to the engine eventually. :lol::D

Now I'm thinking of notching the smallest aluminum tube available and bending it to 90 degrees. That might be oversize but look right after some corrosion is applied.

Edited by Foxer

I think that's what spoils the illusion, especially on what gets used for "boots". looks like garden hose compared to fine plug wires.

I've ordered parts and am going to try these (from the cylinder above). if the 1/35 scale guys can do it .... he says in fine print ...