Model Cars Magazine Forum

Forum Troubleshooting - Picture Problems w/Internet Explorer? Look Here

Sixx

It's not so much that I hate IE, it's just that I like Firefox and Chrome because I can customize them with plug-ins and add-ons. I have a Chrome plugin that automatically loads the next page on most forums (including this one) so I don't have to click "next page", I just keep scrolling down. And there's plenty of good ad-blocker plug-ins out there. I use "Down It All" for Firefox a lot when gathering reference pics, it will save all the photos on a page in one bulk download instead of having to do them one at a time. There's tons of good stuff out there for the other browsers.

The scroll-down plug-in sounds cool. IE10 and IE11 have intelligent pre-fetch routines that pre-load and pre-render the next page on a website but they don't append it to the bottom. Page changes are instantaneous but they're still page changes... IE has very effective ad blocking and has had it at least since IE9. I'm virtually ad-free in all its forms. With IE11 when you install it, it defaults to Do Not Track while still giving you the option to allow tracking on specific websites if you desire. I think, like most decent software, a little exploration and native curiosity leads to a vastly improved experience. If Microsoft has made an error, it's not to have developed as visible and engaged a developer culture as Apple and Google have. They really missed the boat with the whole "Apps" thing. On the other hand one thing I do actually despise is the fact that I had to register myself with Google via G-Mail in order to activate my Android tablet, and it's still locked up tight as a drum. Now that's Big Brother talkin' to ya!

I still have problems just posting regular messages here, let alone adding pictures. :(

I was having problems, too, even before I updated my IE version. I'm on IE11 as I write this and it's working very well now. I suspect Brett's advice about making sure this site is included in your Compatibility View list has a lot to do with it. Even when I was on IE9 I would have problems losing my cursor on the screen when I was typing so I didn't know where I was in the paragraph! That's all fixed now. The only problem I have left is that I still can't toggle easily between Rich Text Formatting mode (the regular view we all see by default) and BBCode Mode. If I switch to BBCode the screen goes blank and I lose all my work. I can start my work in BBCode and switch to the full formatted view but I mustn't switch back or everything will be gone. Weirdness indeed. But this is obscure enough that I haven't tried to reach out to the community for a fix.

Edited by Bernard Kron

Is there a reason why the Quote function won't work for me? I click on the quote button when I want to respond directly to a particular post and nothing happens. I tried to copy & paste the post I want to respond to and nothing happens? Is it it mycomputer that's the culprit?

Edited by landman

Is there a reason why the Quote function won't work for me? I click on the quote button when I want to respond directly to a particular post and nothing happens. I tried to copy & paste the post I want to respond to and nothing happens? Is it it mycomputer that's the culprit?

If you want to quote use the quote tab at the bottom right of the page...

Are you running IE as your web browser? If so, start here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81824&page=3

I'm using IE, too. Had the same problem after IE was upgraded to IE-11.0.

Here's the fix:

Upper right corner of your screen, there are three icons under the 'minimize-maximize-close' buttons. They are a house icon, the 'Favorites' star, and a cog (some people call it a snowflake).

You want the cog icon. Click on it.

That gives you a menu box. The10th selection down is "Compatibility View Settings." Click on it.

That gives you another menu box that allows you to "Add This Website." The website name "modelcarsmag.com" should be preloaded in the box. Click the "Add" button to its right. Then Click the "Close" button and you're done.

Now the 'quote' and all other functions of the board should work properly for you.

Here's the fix:

Upper right corner of your screen, there are three icons under the 'minimize-maximize-close' buttons. They are a house icon, the 'Favorites' star, and a cog (some people call it a snowflake).

That gives you a menu box. The10th selection down is "Compatibility View Settings." Click on it.

That gives you another menu box that allows you to "Add This Website." The website name "modelcarsmag.com" should be preloaded in the box. Click the "Add" button to its right. Then Click the "Close" button and you're done.

Now the 'quote' and all other functions of the board should work properly for you.

Thanks Danno. I had the same problem, now its fixed.

Here's the fix:

Thanks Danno, now I see why they call you a Natural Luminary.

• 4 weeks later...

Landman said: "Thanks Danno, now I see why they call you a Natural Luminary."

You're too kind. It's actually because I once drove a Chevy Lumina, and it seemed natural. :P

{By the way, it was a company car - I wouldn't have selected a Lumina as a personal car, although it was very competent and effective for our purposes.}

I've had no problems with the "View New Content" button. I'm using Google Chrome.

Sometimes when I click it only shows new members (if any) Just have to click "forums" and it's normal.

I can click it when I'm in members mode and it will show the members who joined in the last day or so.

But outside of that it just returns a "no new messages found". Since I've tested this on all the browsers, and on both my computers, it must be in my account settings. It wouldn't be in my cookie on this computer since it worked on both. Is there a way I can get this reset by a moderator?

• 1 month later...

I can click it when I'm in members mode and it will show the members who joined in the last day or so.

But outside of that it just returns a "no new messages found". Since I've tested this on all the browsers, and on both my computers, it must be in my account settings. It wouldn't be in my cookie on this computer since it worked on both. Is there a way I can get this reset by a moderator?

I'm still not able to use my View New Content button when logged in. I've tried it on every device, in every browser including my smart phone. If I am NOT logged in, I will see all the new content. IF I click it when I'm logged in as me, I get a no new content message. There must be some button they can press in my account? Something like the date in my last time visited stuck? It's been this way for a long time, I've mentioned it to the moderators and Dave Ambrose with no solution. It's aggravating since that's the way I'd view the board.

• 3 weeks later...

we just got a new computer and I cannot use the "quote" button, nor can I cut and paste into the reply box. does anyone know of a setting that will reverse this? I took a look and can't seem to find one. any help will be appreciated.

have a great day,

Tubbs

• Gregg unpinned this topic