Model Cars Magazine Forum

Charlie Smith's Plain Vanilla 25T A/Altered from 1964

Here's another project that's needs help to finish.

It's a kit bashed Altered that uses a AMT 25t parts pack body, spare parts injected 327 chevy engine, with a Revell Tony Nancy kit competition trans, AMT Fiat Altered chassis. front spoke wheels and straight axle from the parts box, Revell pie crust M&H slicks, rear wheels and axle from the parts box, and finally a scratch built roll bar and interior cover.

I need help with the decals to finish. See enclosed pic of real car. Anyone out there that can copy and print white lettering decals?

post-13715-0-62054900-1396801688_thumb.j

Edited by magicmustang

I've been wanting to build this car for decades, but couldn't find the right parts. I had gathered several parts but couldn't find the right body. I had an original AMT 1925 T kit but didn't want to take parts from it. Then Round 2 rereleased it.

That's when I saw an AMT 25T altered parts pack on Ebay. I saw that and the altered wheel wells were perfect for this car. I won the auction an was inspired again. With the right parts it just came together.

Still have a problem completing the lettering. I need to find someone who can copy and print white letter decals.

• 6 months later...

Great job sir ............ a beautiful piece of history .............. I remember this car well, as Charlie raced often at Amarillo Dragway .................. his brother Frank also brought his A/Comp roadster to Amarillo quite often ............. would make a great companion build for your little roadster

FrankSmith_zps178d0920.jpg

Yep, I agree John. I have the Sept. 1965 issue of Hot Rod that contains the article that details in pics both cars. The Tony Nancy Revell kit of a A/C roadster would work well. As you can see in your pic of Frank's A/C and the pic of Charlie's A/A, they both used '65 El Caminos for push cars. Now that would be a interesting diorama!!

Thanks for your comments.

Edited by magicmustang

Gerald, what a great model! Very clean and well prepared.

I like that A/C car too! Could that car be done with the Double Dragster Kit and the AMT 25T Parts Pak? Hmm, this may be an upcoming build for me to do.

Thanks guys for the inspiration.

Michael

I like that A/C car too! Could that car be done with the Double Dragster Kit and the AMT 25T Parts Pak? Hmm, this may be an upcoming build for me to do.

Not really. The DD chassis is much older and shorter, and of a different type. The Parts Pack body wouldn't be the best starting point for that. You'd have to fill in the provided cutout. You'd be better off starting with a regular AMT T body. The DD kit has a usable Chevy engine with injection but you'd have to come up with the tubes for it.

You can build an A/C from the DD kit but it will be a much earlier version and won't look much like the car in the pic. A better starting point might be the Revell Tony Nancy car.