Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salt Flats/Dry Lake Studebakers.. Need info..

DrGlueblob

It's been so long since I followed the Bonneville scene, I need a few refreshers.

First, anyone know where I can find vintage SCTA rules? Southern California Timing Association ran the Speed trials, IIRC.

Second ..Did the cars then use Salt Flat hubcaps, or was that just a fashion statement at the time?

I'm building Mr Speed. did most Studes use the stock chassis? Or was there a custom tube or square-stock frame and sheet metal under there, like a Funny Car?

Thanks mucho

Chip

The late '40s and early '50s Hot Rod magazines posted the SCTA rules. That's where I get my correct info, but they're still all packed from the move.

What year are you wanting to build? The rules were changing kinda quickly back then.

All of the period Studebakers I know of used the original (but modified) frame, and many ran full wheel covers... "Moon caps"...for drag reduction. They were only a "fashion statement" if used on street cars.

One notable Stude, often referred to as the Cagle Sanchez car, did away with the independent front suspension that was stock on the '53, and replaced it with a transverse leaf spring and straight axle from a '40 Ford. It also ran extreme engine setback. Originally built with an Ardun-headed flathead Ford, it was re-engined with a Chrysler Hemi, and went on to become the first "stock bodied" car to break 200mph.

Story here... http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/featuredvehicles/1953_studebaker_coupe/

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

interesting, and shows how "car lore" can get confusing.

in his book Merchants of Speed, Paul Smith shows this car in the first chapter "Ansen Automotive" (pg 13). evidently it was campaigned under two different liveries also, with the Ansen #201 showing up in R&C image #P120778.