Model Cars Magazine Forum

In-n-Out Burger 1995 Funny Car

I'm building an older funny car from 1995. It's the In-n-Out Burger funny car. I like In-n-Out burgers and I like drag racing, so I thought I'd show my appreciation.

My goal is to add as much detail and realism as I can in this 1:25 scale. I'm using Revell's Mooneyes Funny Car kit (#7624 released in 1995). My researching hasn't turned up too many detailed photos of this particular car, in order to keep everything period correct. So I'm combining what I can find and what I think looks good. Let me know if you see something that's not correct for 1995.

I've been going back and forth between the chassis and engine and haven't made a lot of progress on either because of it.

I have more photos posted on Photobucket (look for the In-n-Out album) http://s1256.photobucket.com/user/TedsModeling/library/In-n-Out%20Burger%201995%20Funny%20Car?sort=3&page=1

I would appreciate your suggestions and comments.

This is the inspiration (3 wheels off the ground is awesome)
post-9302-0-63979900-1333024536_thumb.jp

Wheelie bars are duplicates of the those supplied in the kit.

WheelieBars.jpg

The chassis needs the fuel cell, rear brake lines, fire extinguishers and more

DSC_0012.jpg

This detail shot of a funny car brake handle and spring inspired me

FCBrakeHandle.jpg

So I had to do it, too. I used R&B rod ends and throttle springs along with Pro Tech nuts on the handle and a piece of small heat shrink tubing for the grip. I built up the base and made it functional. I guess I need to add a master cylinder now. I describe how I did this in the Photobucket 'Working Brake Handle' album.

DSC_0007.jpg

The engine is partly finished and partly mocked up. Note the functional butterflies. More to come.

DSC_0013.jpg

Another view of the engine and electronics

DSC_0018.jpg

Edited by TedsModeling

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I need it.

Micro - I don't believe how many people on this site have been involved with the actual 1:1 cars we're reproducing. This is great.

So far I don't have any carbon fiber planned because I couldn't see any in the photos I found.

I'm guessing there might be some on the cockpit floor and/or around the seat???? I'd love to pick your brain for anything you can remember.

What was the seat made of? Aluminum? It looks like it has small padded rolls on the bottom seat. I am going to use small diameter (1/16") heat shrink tubing, cut in half lenght ways, to simulate this. The texture and color are perfect.

Thanks, Goat. I used 1/16" K&S #5100 aluminum tubing because it matched the kit wheelie bar OD.

Thanks for the mag video feedback. I also made a video of the wheelie bars, if you want to see the rest of the parts and how it went together, it's here:

Edited by TedsModeling

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I need it.

Micro - I don't believe how many people on this site have been involved with the actual 1:1 cars we're reproducing. This is great.

So far I don't have any carbon fiber planned because I couldn't see any in the photos I found.

I'm guessing there might be some on the cockpit floor and/or around the seat???? I'd love to pick your brain for anything you can remember.

What was the seat made of? Aluminum? It looks like it has small padded rolls on the bottom seat. I am going to use small diameter (1/16") heat shrink tubing, cut in half lenght ways, to simulate this. The texture and color are perfect.

Hey Ted,

All the funny car seats were aluminum. Murf always built the seats himself it was one of the few hands on things he still did. I did the dragster seats out of Kevlar. On that year car the seat padding would be minimal only what the driver would have added. The clutch box could have been carbon or aluminum depending on what the team wanted. If you find it was carbon you may want to sand the ribs off the plastic one your using. Most likely the valve covers were also carbon as that is before they were outlawed.

The detail your putting in this are incredible. I keep thinking it is 1/16 scale the detail is so clean. I will be following this one.

Thank you all for the remarks! I think you're all being too nice. I was expecting some constructive criticism (a little at a time - please -I'm fragile ).

Micro - Thanks for the help. I already painted the seat polished aluminim and had to remove it due to other work on the seat. That's why I was asking about it. I was going to re-paint it black (because all of the current FCs are), but I'll go back to the aluminum. Is polished okay or should it be plain aluminum?

Speaking of aluminum, does anybody know if the two sides of the cockpit (secured with dzus fasteners) were aluminun or something else around 1995? I don't know if I should paint them black, aluminum or polished aluminum or maybe finish them with carbon decals.

The seat padding in the kit seat matches with what you described. You never know whether Revell is following the 1:1 or doing what is easy or maybe they already have a mold to use. I'll stick with my 'heat shrink tube' padding on the lower seat only.

As for the clutch box, I'll leave it the way it is, since I don't know otherwise.

Thanks again for looking and for the comments. :rolleyes:

I wanted to get your feedback before I told you what I did. I've been experimenting, on and off , in my quest for realism.
The reason they look so real is becuse they are.
I used stainless steel (which they are in real life) and I applied heat into them (just like real life).
I made a video of the process while I was making them. I'll have it out shortly, but I'd be glad to answer any questions in the meantime.
Thanks for looking and for your comments, guys.

Here's a shot of a few test pieces while I was working on them.

heatstainedheaders.png

Edited by TedsModeling