Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 wants to know what you want!

The reason why Round 2 put the question out on Facebook is to get the perspective of the average person. It's useless for them to ask here on the dedicated modeler boards because we are too sophisticated and too close to the issue. And we only represent a small fraction of their overall market. That's why we see a lot of '32 Fords and Ferarris. The general public who couldn't identify a '50 Oldsmobile, will buy those over and over.

And don't write off Facebook. If you ignore the people who post photos of their lunch and every trivial detail of their lives, the site has amazing power that can be used for your benefit. I got lured into joining because I local band had the "Visit our Facebook Page" on their card. Within a half hour, I had a contact from someone I knew in high school. That led to being linked to over 50 people I graduated with in 1976 including some old friends I lost contact with many years ago. And we've gotten together in person for three reunions so far.

There's also groups for just about anything you can think of. I belong to groups that post historic photos of my town and places I once lived. I grew up in the military and there are three groups for people who once lived on the US Army post in Pirmasens, Germany. This post has been abandoned by the US and turned into German civilian use. I saw tons of photos of both what it looked like back when I lived there in 1969-72 (my father was a career officer) and today. I saw a lot of pictures of the street I lived on which was Army quarters for families, but no photo of my old house. So I posted on one group asking if anyone was still in Pirmasens and if they could drive by and take a picture for me. Within an hour two people had volunteered. By the next day I had a video someone took in 2010 driving down the street and photos a German fellow ran over and took for me... of the current building where my house once stood! Turns out that it got knocked down and there are two houses where it stood. Not the outcome I wanted, but the answer!

And through these groups I'm in touch with five kids I went to junior high with back then! It's great to know how they all turned out and where they are today. We've shared memories that have filled in blanks in my own memory and I've enjoyed this a great deal.

And the 24 Hour Build this past weekend was done on Facebook. There are a lot of modelers and modeling groups there too!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Since it is an apparently totally unreasonable request to get anything new out of America for the past 30 years, I adjust my desires accordingly.

AMT: A 61-69 Lincoln Continental hardtop.

MPC: A late 60s Bonneville hardtop and the Superfly.

But please understand, I only mention these under the premise that

- no tard of the model kit industry is the least bit incommodated by dusting off the molds (provided they are fully intact and need no repairs whatsover), sticking them into a bloody injection moulding machine of all things, adding some styrene granulate (I know, that stuff comes at a premium nowadays, making every business venture involving it a stunt that requires the real pioneer spirit), and selling the ruddy things once they are moulded.

- my requests don't clash with the taste of some grandpas in America.

For crying out loud.

Edited by Junkman

Since it is an apparently totally unreasonable request to get anything new out of America for the past 30 years, I adjust my desires accordingly.

AMT: A 61-69 Lincoln Continental hardtop.

MPC: A late 60s Bonneville hardtop and the Superfly.

But please understand, I only mention these under the premise that

- no tard of the model kit industry is the least bit incommodated by dusting off the molds (provided they are fully intact and need no repairs whatsover), sticking them into a bloody injection moulding machine of all things, adding some styrene granulate (I know, that stuff comes at a premium nowadays, making every business venture involving it a stunt that requires the real pioneer spirit), and selling the ruddy things once they are moulded.

- my requests don't clash with the taste of some grandpas in America.

For crying out loud.

Why don't you just have all those huge well known plastic car model companies in the UK build you the models you want if America and it's companies suck so bad?

With your glowing comments I just can't see why the owners of Revell and AMT and Moebius don't jump at every request you have. ;)

Edited by hpiguy

• 2 weeks later...

There are a number of AMT kits that were released in the '60s that I'd like to see, but if they re-issue any of these kits please please please de-AMT them first.

De-AMT? That means:

NO molded in seats, whether it's the rear seats in a four door sedan or the front seats in a two passenger roadster. Let me decide how and where my scale people are gonna sit.

NO molded in exhaust system. What was the point offering zoomies or dump tubes for the "drag version" when you molded in the exhaust pipes and muffler?

NO molded in suspension and NO molded in drive train.

Okay, the last two are (kinda sorta) acceptable for the annual kits; if you're handy with a detail brush you could make them look ... acceptable. Still ...

I know, I know, we're talking about re-issueing, not re-working. But a decrepit old man can dream, can't he?

Edited by Reegs

This is an ongoing thing with Round2. They really do want constant input. I have sent them oodles (does anyone still use "oodles"?) of suggestions, and although many do not come to pass, at least they are actively seeking input. I think the other companies are great, but when they actively seek out input that puts them top of the charts as far as i'm concerned! ;)

• 11 months later...

The Polara/Monaco was Destroyed into that Bubble topped "Racer"

It Will NEVER be re-issued!

And, Polar Lights did a Modern tool of the 65 Coronet, so if Any get

re-issued, it will be that one and NOT the MPC/AMT original annual!!

(65 Coronet was an MPC kit tooled and first offered in an AMT box)

Based off the Lindberg 1964 Dodge 330 stock 2 dr sedan or the 1964 Belvedere 2 dr ht...A stock 1965 Plymouth Belvedere 2 dr sedan or hardtop with bench seat and the 383 and Slant 6 engines with steel wheels and dog dish caps..Would be a big seller for sure and could make many variations....

How many have forgotten they CAN'T re-issue the 65-66 Monaco/Polara??

Evidently a Lot by reading this thread.

It was already covered before, that they made that Single seat Bubble canopy

Salt-Flats type racer/custom out of it!!!

sadly, I forget the name of it now, but SOME One Should know.

Pic's Are posted somewhere here on MCM of the last version of the kit!

I posted a short version on Faceless Book. I'm like Junkman, personally, I doubt they're going to pay any more attention top me than they have in the past cause I'm sick an tired of 64 Galaxies , 57 Chebbies , and 32 Ferds . I asked for re issues , yes stuff I'm fairly sure weren't "Morphed" into some cheap "Fad " modified re issue . Revell at least is listening to me , a 57 Ford sedan, a Mercury wagon and a 50 Olds do make for Diorama extroidinare material .....................

How many have forgotten they CAN'T re-issue the 65-66 Monaco/Polara??

Evidently a Lot by reading this thread.

It was already covered before, that they made that Single seat Bubble canopy

Salt-Flats type racer/custom out of it!!!

Well, that is something that happened over 45 years ago...pretty obscure.

Can't recall if I posted in this thread on this topic previously or not, but what I suggested to Round 2 on their site was more modern subjects--whether curbside or not, I'd like it to see cars like the Chevy SS, '14 Camaro Z/28, '14 Corvette Stingray and '15 Z06, Cadillac ATS, CTS, CTS-v, '15 Mustang GT (sounds like this one is going to happen), 11+ Charger R/T or SRT, current Viper, 11+ Chrysler 300C SRT.