Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/18 55 Chevy Dirt Track Car

Bigdad

Back in the early 70s when I was a teenager my dad used to take me to the Anderson Speedway here in Indiana on Saturdays. I loved to watch those nasty looking dirt track cars. There were a lot of 55 - 57 Chevys on the track back then. I've decided to take an old 1/18 scale die cast 55 Chevy Belair that I have had for a long time chop it up a bit and make a beat up old race car out of it. I'm going to grind the wheel wells out for bigger tires and fab up a roll cage. I'm thinking about painting it plum crazy purple I want it to end up looking something like this picture. I'll post some progress pictures as I go along.
55Chevy2_zps89a10a7a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Making progress on the wheel wells finally, I've used up three Dremel tool sanding thingies to get them done but it's getting there. I'll try to post some progress pictures in the next day or two. After I finish the wheel wells I'll start on the rest of the body work and getting it ready to paint. Then I'll begin detailing the larger engine I'm using and building the roll cage out of plastic sprue.

Well I'm making progress on the race car I just don't have any pictures yet. I have a friend that takes my pictures for me and he is having computer issues so he can't e-mail them to me. He says he should have things fixed soon so as soon as he sends them to me I'll post them. In the meantime I got another idea I'm thinking that if I can get my hands on a 1/18 scale old Chevy pickup cab and a dually frame and wheels. I will build a race car hauler truck and put the car on it like this.
RampTruck_zpsb9439343.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys. I remember seeing some cars with the doors cut out like that. I think it was so they could get to the driver easier in case of an accident or he could get out of the car quicker. It was usually the passenger side door so that the drivers side door was still intact for protection. I just like the look with the door cut out too, the tires and wheels are from a diecast model of The Car from the James Brolin movie of the same name. A friend of mine gave it to me after it was broken by one of his kids, to use for parts.

I found another race car hauler picture that I like better I'm bidding on a 1/18 scale 55 Chevy pickup to use on e-bay. I hope I get it but I'll have to get my hands on some bigger wheels and tires for it and a duel wheel set up for the back, then I can use sheet plastic for the ramp.
0041_zps5e81cb71.jpg

Thank you all for your comments I just won an e-bay auction on a 1/18 scale 55 Chevy pickup to use as a wedge bed car hauler. This is a picture I found of what I want to do with the truck.
calvacade_and_misc_019_detail_zpsdd57964

Congratulations Roger on your winning bid, maybe you could give me some tips on how you do that, I have not been so lucky lately on ebay.. It sounds like it is all coming together. I like the direction you are going on this one.

Thanks Ron, I'm still working on the car it will probably be done well before the truck is though. When I get the truck I'll have to take it apart and draw up some plans for the wedge car hauler back end. I have seen some plans but there all in 1/25 scale it's not like the thing will be very complicated though it looks pretty straight forward. I decided to go with the wedge bed design because all I need to use to build it is sheet plastic I'm trying to decide if I should paint the truck Plum Crazy to match the car.

P.S.
I just paid for the truck and ordered a racing seat belt setup for the car they will be shipped tomorrow I should get them both next week.

Edited by Bigdad

Well I should be able to get back to work on the car know my last purchase of a couple of bucket seats from e-bay will be here today. I was going to try to cut up the bench seat and use it but it just does not like right, plus I have that cool looking photoetch 5 point racing seat belt now. I have been holding off starting the roll cage until I have the seat. I'm having second thoughts about converting the pickup into a car hauler too. The 1/25 scale semi truck tires would work but the wheels look totally wrong, I may just get a trailer for the race car and do a kinda rusty old rat rod look on the truck.