Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell/Model King '53/'54 Chevy gasser

Mr. Metallic

16 minutes ago, Mark said:

Where was the most recent issue (sedan delivery with military themed decal sheet) made?  That would provide a clue as to whether or not Atlantis got the tool for it...

China. Per an eBay image of the box side. 

On 12/4/2006 at 1:05 PM, 62rebel said:

does the reissue still have both grilles; the 53 and the 54?

i recall also the spaghetti-thin exhaust pipes the old kits had; always swapped in something else, usually the duals from AMT 49 ford, altered to fit better.

is the scale accurate to where it would not be acceptable to adapt the monogram 53 belair engine/wheels? i know some older kits kind of fudge the scale (sometimes due to mold deterioration and not on purpose) and the difference between 1/24 and 1/25 not so noticeable in those cases. at any rate, i'd build mine as a low-dollar backyard drag racer, probably with the six banger in it and full "aged" interior. got some new ideas for strengthening those thin rear springs, too. one is to simulate a set of airlift springs between the axle and the frame; the other is a set of ladder bars similar to quicksilver kit. others come to mind, too many to list.

any thoughts on converting that gasser axle to poseable steering?

1949-54 Chevy and 1953-62 Corvette frames and suspension are essentially the same (except for length). So there are any number of 1/25 scale Corvette kits you could rob the suspension from. (MPC 57/60 Corvettes have steerable wheels). Plus there are the three AMT 51 Chevy kits as well. Engines could be sourced from those or the AMT 53 Corvette (not quite stock) for a 53, or the AMT 60 Chevy truck for a 54.

Edited by Dave Darby