Model Cars Magazine Forum

Long Hauler 379 - 119

A Holmes DTU (Detachable Towing Unit) turns a truck with a 5th wheel into a wrecker.

Exactly right! I am sorry Colin, it was not meant to be a lowboy. Here is another picture of a real thing.

1-1861115118.thumb.jpg.c0082c88baec4a004

This picture shows the unit standing on its own. A truck sneaks underneath it the same way as when coupling a trailer. The 5th wheel and four other mountings make a tight connection.

Holmes5tha.thumb.jpg.4ec08d4d836fadf164f

There is probably more systems on the market from more manufacturers. I haven´t seen neither of them except for the pictures. The Holmes units (or similar) can be found on European trucks too.

32_holmes-dtu-hd-01_627.thumb.jpg.dbbeeb

I found this picture on some Dutch model web sites but there was no comment on it. I don´t even know the scale. Maybe it´s a diecast model, I don´t know

283d.thumb.jpg.a92927b3a3ddb984ef4c9612a

I hope I make mine just as nice.

Edited by truckabilly

Thank you, Colin.

Now I am looking for some info on the wet line kit. I guess I need one for a truck with the DTU. What do I need to replicate?

1. PTO - it is located on the bottom side of the transmission, right?

2. Hydraulic pump - is it attached directly to PTO? Or do I need a drive shaft? If so, where is the pump located?

3. A tank - sometimes it is mounted behind the cab, sometimes on the frame side, just like a fuel tank. Is there any rule for that?

Any other important things? If someone has any knowledge about this, would you please share with me? I´m all ears. I tried to find a picture of those components mounted on a truck but all I found was the tanks. Thank you for any info.

I think it spends on the truck, we have trucks with front mount pumps, others are located in various places, I think it will basically come down to your truck and how it's configured. The hydraulic fluid tank on our trucks are frame mounted behind the cabs, on the drivers side.

• 1 month later...

Thanks a lot for your comments. The progress on the DTU is slow but steady. I have the boom assembled, the winch bed and the winch itself. Still a few details to add, though.

PA140046.thumb.jpg.fec4da8fa7d35ca48ad15

PA140056.thumb.jpg.5454f03a32b97a3a1063e

PA140048.thumb.jpg.9fdab8f232fcc587f37e9

PA140058.thumb.jpg.19b5518c7a17844d5c4f7

PA140050.thumb.jpg.dbefc08019925835dd8ca

I have two of the three telescopic parts of the low lift. They are simlified a bit and the end with the hole will be reshaped to match the real deal better.

PA140052.thumb.jpg.9d717da8f111c99241ed0

Edited by truckabilly

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Gordon and Tony. Now I have all the main parts ready, so I tested them if they fit the way they are supposed to. Well, they don´t. I must have made a mistake somewhere. There is 5mm difference in the length of either the subframe or the boom. This resulted in the different angle of the hydraulic cylinders. The ones that lift the boom. So, I had to cut the subframe and extend it 5mm more. It was not glued yet when I took the pictures.

Here is the frame cut with extending parts. They are still loose on the wires.

PA300068.thumb.jpg.3443ab3ec9425cc223921

Here you can see the extending parts in the rails.

PA300069.thumb.jpg.31b55371bd9005145207c

This is supposed to be the lower position of the boom. Will have to shorten the hydraulic cylinders to get the horizontal position.

PA300071.thumb.jpg.8b5811f317309ed4cdd48

This is the underlift in full extend.

PA300072.thumb.jpg.e97ee7fbff7378d56564a

With the subframe extended the tower fits better inbetween the guiding plates.

PA300073.thumb.jpg.66d0ba5cf12ea44ad252f

These two pictures show the boom in the upper posotion.

PA300074.thumb.jpg.49a71d97673b9f04d3069

PA300075.thumb.jpg.f871114b8feea67eac114

This is where I am now. I hope to have next update soon.

Edited by truckabilly

• 4 weeks later...

Now all the main parts are in surface primer.

PB250086.jpg

PB250082.jpg

PB250079.jpg

Now it is time to think about the colour. What colour of DTU would best match to a dark-blue truck? Yellow, red, orange or black? What do you, guys think?

I would have gone with a mediium blue, silver, medium grey or white, but that's just me. Any other color you mentioned would work pretty nicely except black

as it would not have enough contrast with a dark blue. This thing is shaping up nicely Jarda, keep it up. Outstanding work as usual.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I try my luck with yellow. I will have to play with the finish a little but this is how it looks after the first coat.

PC190088.thumb.jpg.cc4610d58147cf1a93a00

Besides the yellow DTU parts you can see the tanks, the brackets, the breathers and a reshaped fifth wheel ready for painting. The pair of fuel tanks are the kit parts while the short one for the hydraulic liquid is scratchbuilt.

The headache rack is made of the RoG parts. I still need to produce the base for it.

PC190090.thumb.jpg.7ab42f0ef56cbb7284bb7

PC190091.thumb.jpg.e56012fe0e000c093470c

The back wall is cut to shape off the scrap piece of sheet, brush painted the humbrol silver. I did not take too much care of the looks as it will be facing the back of the sleeper.

PC190092.thumb.jpg.d3b8b8d49de618ee9cf1f

The conditions for painting are not excellent at this part of the year. I wonder when I am able to continue with the paint job. There is not much to do on the model till the painting is finished. Plus, I am waiting for some aftermarket parts, so the progress will not be any faster. But stay tuned, I will update now and then.

Edited by truckabilly

Okay, I try my luck with yellow. I will have to play with the finish a little but this is how it looks after the first coat.

PC190088_zps5885b712.jpg

Besides the yellow DTU parts you can see the tanks, the brackets, the breathers and a reshaped fifth wheel ready for painting. The pair of fuel tanks are the kit parts while the short one for the hydraulic liquid is scratchbuilt.

The headache rack is made of the RoG parts. I still need to produce the base for it.

PC190090_zps2e224b9b.jpg

PC190091_zpsb3ec8038.jpg

The back wall is cut to shape off the scrap piece of sheet, brush painted the humbrol silver. I did not take too much care of the looks as it will be facing the back of the sleeper.

PC190092_zpsaeabb132.jpg

The conditions for painting are not excellent at this part of the year. I wonder when I am able to continue with the paint job. There is not much to do on the model till the painting is finished. Plus, I am waiting for some aftermarket parts, so the progress will not be any faster. But stay tuned, I will update now and then.

I dont know whats going on but photobucket is being a pain in the butt still!...still broken links? :angry:

I dont know whats going on but photobucket is being a pain in the butt still!...still broken links? :angry:

There is nothing wrong with the links, but try these

Clear out your browser's cache and cookies and make sure you have the most current versions of Flash and Java Also, check to see if Javascript is enabled (Javascript is different from Java)

in other words make sure your computer is up to date with all updates current

Hopefully this will help