Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shhhh... The Beast is sleeping (Z06 progess) *PIC*

ismaelg

Hello again,

The final coat of clear has been airbrushed. I took this pic this morning, about 48 hrs after the last coat was applied.

DSCF2529b.jpg

Now, the body will be put aside for a nap. Lacquer can be polished as soon as 2 or 3 days, but I like to wait at least one full week before polishing. Anyways, I still need to work on the interiors and other stuff, so most likely it will be more than a week before I start polishing it.

I like how it is progressing so far. If I don't screw it up, (like I usually do), this could be my best yellow paint job to date.

Thanks,

Ismael

Looks great in yellow 8)

I should have shot mine in a solid color. Did you do a lot of prep work to the body to get it smoothed out?

I've shot some coats of silver on mine; wrong color if one doesn't want to see how sketchy Revell's tooling/engraving/polishing is in certain places :roll: Stuff that didn't show up in the primer. Lots of extra time getting this body smooth...lots of block sanding (before primer and after color coats) and rescribing, and it's still a bit sketchy but that's as good as mine is going to get. I guess I shouldn't expect an $11 Revell kit body to be as well molded as a $25 Japanese kit body. Because it isn't :wink:

Bob,

Welcome to the club :D

I had to touch up many spots many times, after the first color coats. I don't know if it has anything to do with the softer plastic, but they didn't show during primer. As you said, mold lines, tool marks etc. Something you wouldn't expect from a new mold.

So yes, there is a lot of prep work before and after initial color coats for those of us obsessed with perfection. :D

Thanks,

Well, at least the Z06 is worth the extra effort. I don't know if it's the soft plastic, but honestly I think it's just sloppy finishing of the molds.

My Z06 just got pushed aside as my Hobbylink order just arrived and I have a new Fujimi Ferrari F430 Challenge car that's going to get fast-tracked over the weekend :D The body mold is much crisper than the Z06, it's also quite a lot different from the standard F430 kit. Fujimi's really gotten their act together in the past couple years.