Model Cars Magazine Forum

ATTENTION! New posting categories

Please note that there is now a separate section for in progress stuff and finished models for both the Big Rig and Pickups, Vans & SUV section.... so post accordingly.

I moved some of the old posts to their new home, but there are too many to go through them all and move them. So let's just go from now on and post in progress stuff and finished stuff in the correct spot.

I guess that's a good thing. Officially, where would a completed El Camino or Ranchero be posted correctly?

Ah, yes... the eternal question! :lol:

Rancheros and El Caminos are cars. They are cars with "pickup" sheetmetal, but under the skin they are pure car. But I know some people insist they are trucks, so whether they are posted in cars or in pickups, I don't have a problem either way.

Actually they're both based on station wagons with the back opened up. Station wagons sometimes have been considered panel trucks but they were also the great gran daddy to the mini van which also could fall under panel truck. In Australia there are Ranchero/el camino type vehicles called sport utes. So they could be car,light truck,sport ute,panel truck or light commercial so maybe they need there own section ha ha.

Ah, yes... the eternal question! :lol:

Rancheros and El Caminos are cars. They are cars with "pickup" sheetmetal, but under the skin they are pure car. But I know some people insist they are trucks, so whether they are posted in cars or in pickups, I don't have a problem either way.

You are correct Harry ! They are based on car frames and suspensions and were never desighed to haul a 1/2 ton load like a pickup truck .

Unfortunately one of the moderators doesn't agree and keeps moving them !

You are correct Harry ! They are based on car frames and suspensions and were never desighed to haul a 1/2 ton load like a pickup truck .

Unfortunately one of the moderators doesn't agree and keeps moving them !

If GM refers to thier own El Caminos as trucks, who am I to say they are wrong?

$(KGrHqZ,!i4E8VDJi4qGBPVMHUtDpw~~60_57.JPG

If it has a bed, either separate or integral with the body, I consider it a truck, but as long as people are willing to share what they've built with others, that's what really matters-- not where each of us thinks it should be posted.

I know I can be a pain in the you-know-what about posting stuff in the right place... but Rancheros and El Caminos can go in either the car or pickup section as far as I'm concerned. I'm not going to move them.

Technically they are cars, they're based on car platforms, they are the same as their passenger car brothers under the skin... but some people see them as trucks, and that's ok by me.

Just don't ask about what the best type of paint is, and post it in "Under Glass!" (yes, it's happened)... :rolleyes:

If GM refers to thier own El Caminos as trucks, who am I to say they are wrong?

$(KGrHqZ,!i4E8VDJi4qGBPVMHUtDpw~~60_57.JPG

If it has a bed, either separate or integral with the body, I consider it a truck, but as long as people are willing to share what they've built with others, that's what really matters-- not where each of us thinks it should be posted.

they also call this a truck

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles/gmc/terrain/gallery-photos-exterior01

I dont think the general knows a truck from a hole in the ground

I know I can be a pain in the you-know-what about posting stuff in the right place... but Rancheros and El Caminos can go in either the car or pickup section as far as I'm concerned. I'm not going to move them.

Technically they are cars, they're based on car platforms, they are the same as their passenger car brothers under the skin... but some people see them as trucks, and that's ok by me.

Just don't ask about what the best type of paint is, and post it in "Under Glass!" (yes, it's happened)... :rolleyes:

Harry you caved to peer pressure LOL

Either way both Ford and GM are based on their station wagon models. You can turn a station wagon into one with a plazma cutter and grinder. A station wagon could be considered a light truck technically. Yes they are based on station wagons which are based on passenger cars but when all the dust clears they are light trucks somewhere under a half ton like s10s,rangers and any other compact pick up.

Ah, yea...

And we can't move them either, so the idea is incomplete.

I agree the horse done left the barn along time ago. No point i closing the door now. Everybody was used to things the way they were. By the way were is everybody at any way? This forum has been awful quiet the last 4 or 5 weeks.