Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Lemon Crate refurb

I got this today as a previous starter from the bay. This is how it started out..................

1LemonCratePick-up_zpscbe5fc20.jpg

And how it was advertised.....................

2_zps109a654e.jpg

and on my bench today..............

3asitarrived_zpscf37a1fc.jpg

As most of it wasn't painted, it's amazing what a wipe over with some resin car polish can do...........

7aftersomecarpolish_zps1e2174b9.jpg

8_zps4ff73150.jpg

more to come.............................

Edited by PatW

and a few more pics.....................

Four nice rims.........

5nicerims_zps5b3ca03c.jpg

But who was it that bit that lump out of the wing?......................

6_zps58c1b57f.jpg

Put the carbs and the top of the rad back on............

9radampcarbson_zps8bb77f4b.jpg

Put the back axle on........................

10rearaxleon_zpsb8b6b57f.jpg

The firewall and the bonnet back on................

15_zps4fc76a6a.jpg

Test fit the front with the bonnet after fixing the grill on..................

16tryfrontend_zpsf603bd84.jpg

And test fitting the cab as well.................

17testfitcab_zpsca899e8f.jpg

Well that's three hours work this afternoon. I'll do a bit more graft tomorrow............see you then.

Edited by PatW

Oh right blunc, I wondered how smoth the edge of the plastic was now I know!

Did a few more bits today.............

Put on first coat of gloss clear, had to remove the decals as they were in bits................

21Cleargloss_zpsb947498d.jpg

New door handles from plastic coated wire as none came with wreck!..........................

20NewDoorhandles_zpsb69c5cab.jpg

Test sizing on spare '49 Merc exhaust, again none in the pack.............

19Merc49exhaust_zps04ecc9a2.jpg

Fixed seat unit in place..........................

18Fixseat_zps12ebf9da.jpg

Oh well I'll see if I can do some tomorrow after I've done the ironing!

Right some more pics. The headlights I found are from a Porsche 356 kit, slightly larger so I cut out the back of the headlight bucket and opened up the hole that was left................

23_zps0f6ac207.jpg

These stone guards from the same kit will go on later.......................

24356H-lightguards_zpsb3132648.jpg

As the mold missed part of the drivers side fron wing (see above) I think I'll fill it to match. So I have some alloy mesh that is used in 1:1 car repairs..........................

26_zps6371fe06.jpg

And them using a template and reversing it, trim to suit.......................

29trimmesh_zpsdc377356.jpg

As the three different types of modelling filler warms about it attacking plastic, I'll try modelling clay. This is the sort that air-dries overnight.

31ModClay_zpsc850a9e6.jpg

Not very neat to start with but that area will be out of sight.

Tomorrow I'll check to see if it has set and adhered to the plastic wing area, if so lay a thin top coat, molding with water to get a smooth correct shape. If not I shall revert to the plastic model filler, and as it says in the instructions, lay on small thin layers, so it doesn't attack the plastic!

Yes Jeff I have some, somewhere! Anyway here's today's pics.............

As the inner wing clay has set I've positioned the driver side headlight..................

33h-lightplacing_zps20040c5e.jpg

Laid up the initial outer layer of clay...........................

36addclay_zpsa1c28286.jpg

And it's already started to dry............................

38_zps80518a2f.jpg

As I don't tend to get a lot done over the weekend, that will give the clay plenty of time to cure. I can then shape it. If I can't paint it after a sealer coat, it'll just look like it's had a fender bender!

Today's pics..........

I've smoothed out the clay front wing fix. I've tested some acryic and enamel paints on other moulded clay parts. But may well leave the wing with the red-lead finish as I haven't got a yellow of the same shade as the kit.

I've taken out the rear window as it a few glue spots on it and replaced it with clear acetate. The front window is not so easy, as it also has a number of glue spots on it, but was stuck in from the outside and trying to remove it will damage the bodywork near the roof.

I've also cut and pasted wood strips to the bed and painted them in a first coat of mahogany coloured varnish.

53_zps30eed8c5.jpg

56_zps0de22697.jpg

I've not fixed the body to the chassis yet as I'm looking for tail lights, petrol filler cap and door mirrors from spares. I'm also trying to unstick the hinges from the doors with a drop of enamel thinners as the previous owner stuck them together.

Thanks guys! I've some more pics .............

Today the second coat of varnish has been painted on, a view of the new rear screen and I've sourced a new bumper as the original was broken and stuck back together in the middle......

602ndcoatvarnish_zps4d45338a.jpg

I notice that the first strip has lifted and the front end. I'll pin that down with a drop of superglue once it's dried in 24 hours. Just two coats of the mahogany varnish looks to be enough.

61newwindow_zps98811c2c.jpg

The new rear screen made from a strip of clear acetate, a great improvement on the glue spotted original.

64Merc49rearbumper_zpsd7197b54.jpg

The new front bumper for the Lemon Crate sourced from the rear bumper of the '49 Chopped Mercury kit.

I'm still trying to free-up the well stuck door hinges, or should I chop them off and make new ones?

Edited by PatW

I suggest drilling the hinge pin holes now then use a razor saw to cut the halves apart where they are glued together, if that fails then you'll have to make new hinges anyway...or just cut them off and glue the doors shut.

Edited by blunc

Just two pics today....

The first is the drivers door with new acetate 'glass' and replacement hinges.

The second is the sides are going on the pick-up bed, I haven't put the rear wings on yet as I have no plans, so I'll size them up when the body is fixed to the chassis..........

69_zps37f2d457.jpg

72_zps6432af3d.jpg

Just one other thing done today. The drivers side pin on the tailgate was broken so I've replaced it with some plastic tube and rod.

Three more pics.

79_zps3c5d275d.jpg

I will extend the wood strips into the tailgate.

80_zps318d9bf3.jpg

Posed drivers door.

81_zpsbedd1e84.jpg

Tailgate fix as previously mentioned.

Bonnet has been mounted to open and close.

Work to be done, fix fenders to body sides, fix front bumper, source rear door mirrors and rear lights, Build and fix exhaust

Three more pics of Saturday's small amount of work.....

The rear wings/fenders are on, the bonnet is shown open and the wood strips are extended onto the tailgate...............

82_zps04768131.jpg

86_zpsd0288a52.jpg

94_zps51c651a5.jpg

The first coat of mahogany varnish will go on on Monday.

My wife is out at the local Garden centre where there's a parade of shops including Hobbycraft where she will hopefully get a length of small chain to hold the tailgate at horizontal.

Work yet to be done, fit rear lights, fit front headlight lenses. I have not found any rearview mirrors in my spares box but I have sourced some alloy tubing to make the exhausts.

• 2 weeks later...