Model Cars Magazine Forum

jada no more

jerseyjunker1

i have been working on this van in my spare time. i should have taken a little more time on it and it would have come out better. the van is supposed to look like a neglected just out of service painters van that has a bad motor. i still have to do some lettering and the frame should be moved a little more to the front as i did not notice untill it was done that the wheels are to far back. i just don't feel like tearing it down to move it up. any way its a junk right!! lol. some things to look for are the hand made accessories. it had no door handles so i added those and i had to cut out the back doors. o made some funky looking hinges so the doors open and close.i made the old wooden ladders and the ladder racks.
i made the paint brush and roller and the roller pan was an oil pan. i made the buckets of paint a few other things. i also cut out the plastic grills in the headlights and remade them out of wire the plastic looked so bad and i remade the floor as it had molded in back speakers so i trashed it. the frame and motor are d.m. 53 ford pick up

Captured2014-6-600000_zps23cd2c76.jpg

Captured2014-6-600001_zps6cdbfc3d.jpg

Captured2014-6-600003_zpse2e69b67.jpg

Captured2014-6-600002_zpsdc457c63.jpg

Captured2014-6-600007_zpsce4622a3.jpg

Captured2014-6-600006_zpsbb1aa74f.jpg

Captured2014-6-600005_zpsb87090fb.jpg

Captured2014-6-600004_zps2e413c8b.jpg

That is very cool and creative.

I seen my first weathered junker model at a show over 20 yrs ago and remember walking right by it thinking "Who brought this junker to a model show" but I kept going back by the same car and kept seeing more and more great well thought out details that were perfectly done and subtle as well.Gained a whole new respect for these type builds.

That is very cool and creative.

I seen my first weathered junker model at a show over 20 yrs ago and remember walking right by it thinking "Who brought this junker to a model show" but I kept going back by the same car and kept seeing more and more great well thought out details that were perfectly done and subtle as well.Gained a whole new respect for these type builds.

Very nice work as usual Manny!

I started building junkers back in the early 1990s with a Monogram 1959 Caddy convertible as part of a club 'same car' project. I brought it to a contest and the organizers made me put it on the "Misc" table. I was standing back watching people look at it and as two guys were looking at it one said, "Somebody ruined a perfectly good model for that." That became an inside joke in my club for years! But beaters and junkers hadn't come of age just yet.

The car I seen was a 68 Olds 442 just after they had come out. Car had mismatched fenders,misskng door handle,missing and cracked side markers,cracked glass,ripped seats,rust holes and everything.

I seen many people turn their heads and noses up at the car when seen. The more I looked at the car the more I seen and understood what talent it took to remove a cast in side marker and drill mounting holes and such to make it appear there was a light there once. The rust holes made in the lower fenders and 1/4's plus around the rear window trim was great. The car was so cool but so cleverly done it stuck in my head for all these years.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...