Model Cars Magazine Forum

Window tint

While wondering the isles at my other favorite toy store (Home Depot), I found some material to make tinted windows for model cars. It’s a waffle patterned clear smoke tint panel about 4’ by 8’, and costs over $20. Best bet is to go in on it with about 3 other guys, and to cut it in quarter sections.

There is just enough flat section in each “rib” for side and rear windows. I don’t think it is large enough for fastback windows; it’s not perfect. For standard coupes and sedans, it just may be the ticket.

IMAG0928TINTED.jpg

Have you ever tried VHT Night Shades? It's at auto part stores for about $12. I used it to smoke out my tail lights on my 1:1 avalanche. Works really well. You wet sand the clear glass with 2000 or finer. Clean really well then spray it on. I'm going to try it on my next build0B6C3DD7-EE81-4BDF-BADC-FA1AF28BF9DF-6250-00000AE3650F5681.jpg

Edited by Daniej01

I believe both Testors and Tamiya also sell window tint sprays. I had bad results with the one I tried. The idea with the tinted plastic sheet is you don’t tint your windows, you replace them. Use the original as a pattern. No spray, no dust.

If Dahm’s Window Tint is still available, try it. This is an R/C product, very strong tint. Very strong adhesive too! Apply to the outside of your window. Down side is, not good for compound curves (for instance, a slight domed window)

DAHMStint-vi.jpg

The one time I tried VHT Night Shades it etched the kit glass so badly it was unuseable.

I've had good luck with tinted report covers from Staples or OfficeMax; it's thinner than kit glass so it's more 'scale correct,' and it cuts/glues very easily. I used it on my Rabbit limo, and put the door glass halfway down:

DSCN3015-vi.jpg

Another tip I heard of many years ago but never tried was developed-but-blank 35mm film negatives, but the narrow width limits its uses except on chopped hot rods

I have to agree with Dave. I needed some purple tinted windows for my daughter's van I'm building and found some report covers at Staples pretty close to th eright color. There were MANY colors to choose from. They were .005" thick. This is just a tape up to see how the color was ...

windowDSC_0844.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

i just use regular window tint for vehicles. i have friends that do tinting and they save me good scraps so i can get it free. it goes on easy, dont have to worry about it ruining the part, and if you mess up all you do is pull it off and clean the glue with soapy water and cut a new piece. can get it colored, and different shades of black. can also get it for very cheap by the foot off of ebay and thats also where you can find the colored tint. also the window cement doesnt eat it up so i consider it the best to use. just be sure to use a real sharp blade to cut it or you get jagged edges and can tear it when you try to peal it from the clear backing.