Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Unsafe @ Any Speed"

wisdonm

Not exactly sure what info you need 57lover. SillyPutty is a commercial brand for a putty-like kid's toy that is made from white glue and liquid starch. I flattened a chunk to about a 1/2 inch thickness. I depressed the original chute into the putty, detail side down, and fished it out carefully with a hobby knife. I used two-part casting resin for the parts. I have successfully used two-part epoxy and super glue in the past. The casting resin just sets up faster, super glue can take days to set, and has less clean up.

This was an exercise in learning new paint techniques. So I got stupid today and hauled out my $5 HF airbrush. I have owned it for at least 6 years. Until today, I only used it once, 4 years ago, because I hate cleaning it. The taping was an unexpected success. My skill with the air brush wasn't even close. That's Tamiya X-24 Clear Yellow and black. Tried doing a fade. Had no control (skill) and mucked it up pretty good.

This is the taping for the silver areas. Anything covered in blue tape will remain silver.

gallery_5771_956_61123.jpg

All the silver areas, were painted with clear yellow, because I didn't have any kandy yellow.

gallery_5771_956_53484.jpg

Then I had to tape out the yellow and silver, so that I could spray the black.

gallery_5771_956_31597.jpg

I was in a poorly lit and cramped space with no experience, so the fade is rather poor. Removed all the tape and rattled canned four more coats of clear and it looked like this.

gallery_5771_956_22734.jpg

I see you went for the sleeper look....lol

Man, this thing is WAY beyond SICK!!!! A long time ago, I had a '66 Corv8.... it was a Monza with a Crown V8 conversion subframe, with a Hillborn injected L79 327... we extended the velocity stacks up through the roof, then put a Lexan scoop over them... it was bonded to the Lexan rear window..... that car was FUN!!! It would corner like it was glued to the road, and you could take a corner at 45mph, and barely chirp the tires!!!! I had to get rid of it... too many speeding tickets LOL!!!

AJ, I too fantasized about building a Corv8. Somewhere along the line, I fell in love with the '66-'70 Eldo/Toro UPP (unitized power package in GM speak). This resulted in the twin-engined slalom car, described in reply #14, and UPP powered '69 Beetle, '67 912 Porsche, Deserter GT, and rear engined '93 Dodge Daytona IROC.

Don't know how we missed a UPP Corvair. It would be much more practical, with a rear seat, and probably outperform most Corv8.

Along the way there was also a 140 hp Corvair powered Isetta

Edited by wisdonm

Insane, I dig it. Looking at your last mockup, I think it looks better than the Hairy Olds. I'm not quite sold on the paint job. Why dont you post a mock up now? I feel maybe seeing the overall concept might tone down that flake a bit. Any plans for decals?

Oh yes. I have decal ideas.

I do think that I have finished the interior. Scratch built things like 2 Sun tachs, console, fire extinguisher, parachute release lever, if you look real close, you can see the return spring beneath the blue cable, trans and throttle cables for rear engine, Moon Big Foot pedals for both gas and brakes, and a Plastic Jesus and Madonna. After all, it is unsafe at any speed.

gallery_5771_956_4499.jpg

gallery_5771_956_21297.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHf7TD4qwjk

gallery_5771_956_3777.jpg

Sadly, the Plastic Jesus hit the windshield and had to be re-located to the console.

med_gallery_5771_956_18677.jpg

Oh yes. I have decal ideas.

I do think that I have finished the interior. Scratch built things like 2 Sun tachs, console, fire extinguisher, parachute release lever, if you look real close, you can see the return spring beneath the blue cable, trans and throttle cables for rear engine, Moon Big Foot pedals for both gas and brakes, and a Plastic Jesus and Madonna. After all, it is unsafe at any speed.

gallery_5771_956_4499.jpg

gallery_5771_956_21297.jpg

gallery_5771_956_3777.jpg

Sadly, the Plastic Jesus hit the windshield and had to be re-located to the console.

med_gallery_5771_956_18677.jpg

Real nice job and idea. By the way do you have the decals from this Hairy Hurst Olds? Need it got a buildup of this car but no decals.

John Pol

WElp,Don, I ain said nuthin caz I was waitin ta see this beast borned! An BORNED it IS!!! EVERYTHING is RIGHT ON bro! Looks like it rolled outta some custom speed shop back on Woodward Ave! I think the ONLY reason din't nobody say nuthin about the little Plastic Jesus an Virgen Mary dolls is they just TOO flabbergasted! Personally, I like 'em. Didja make them or buy em? If so where caz just like the car, they's too cool too!!!

I thought the Plastic Jesus was original. However, since no one seems impressed, have you guys seen this done before?

I love the plastic Jesus, made me laugh out loud. New to the forum myself, so, I didn't know if every fifth model on here had a plastic Jesus and now I know better. I applaud your originality.