Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Unique modeling challenge

Guest zebm1

Was in Plastic Scale Models Chat tonite and we were bemoaning tha fact that all Model Contests of late, past many years, are always about tha same general subjects. So I was discussing wid Bigtruck Ken and Wade_Anderson, Jason, Yoda, Ron and Brian how we have nevah seen a model contest that has included Big Truck, Semi-Racers, in tha contest. So we discussed a Challenge Contest, Semi- Race Trucks, best one wins "Bragging Rights for tha Year." Contest starts in February, winner is declared in May, day of tha Indy Time trails.

Trucks must be believable Euro or American semis with deisel or gas engines, start with a stock frame and body, single or tandem axles. Modifications are legal as are wings. Turbos ans superchargers are also legal.

We are hoping that Gregg and Jairus will form tha nucleus of tha Judges, perhaps Art and a few more Oldtimers.....no trophies...just Bragging Rights.......whose got real creative juices? Anyone game for a contest that no-one has ever entered before?

In other words, an Unlimited Class of truck racers capable of racing at Daytona, Dover(where they already race) or at Watkins Glen. Yall got tha stuff to compete?

Have an opinion?

Zebm1

Rules are pretty basic --- model has to start as a Semi Cab, single or tandem axles, diesel or gas engines (no blacked-out windows, what I think used to be called Slammers), Turbos, Superchargers, Fuel Injection, water injection. Body mods --- stock windshield heights(driver's side window to have NASCAR crash webbing)(three windows required), lowering of body(channeling), side pods, front air dams and wings. And of course Roll Bar cages. In plain terms a Semi-race truck capable of racing on paved race tracks (Indy, Daytona, Dover, Watkins Glen) and or dirt (ala Pikes Peak). Any semi-cab from any part of tha world, but in tha real world, truck must have been capable of pulling a 40 ft. trailer in it's stock form.

And yu are correct Jairus, semi-pro, no trophies, no prizes--just bragging rights for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places and tha also-rans. To me modeling is about modifying, building dreams and such and since I have nevah even built a semi, much less a racing semi-truck, this oughta get some creative juices flowing like Niagra Falls and,of course, all builders are invited.

Oh yeah, Ken was telling me that some of these big rig models are kinda expensive....so we won't limit tha scales, but I would think that 1/64th scale might ruin one's eyes building something that small. But I guess we could give Gregg and Jairus some LARGE magnifying glasses.

All suggestions will be considered for inclusion. We have until Feb. '07 to finalize tha Rules of Engagement.

Zebm1