Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project: "Inferno" 49 Merc - *Update p17* 3/13/15

JasonFL

You're doing some pretty cool work there my friend. This thing is going to look very cool when it's painted! Just as a little note though...that bar you fixed isn't the sway bar...that's the tie rod. The sway bar is the other rod that's more to the front of the front suspension...

Thanks Terry. I appreciate the correction, I'll have to change that. I must of sat there for five mins and just kept drawing a blank on what it was called, figured sway bar would be close enough.

Awesome work Jason! The rear set up came out great. Keep it goin!

Thanks again Albie. Hate to say this but I can't get that rocker to scrape the ground. I have done everything but it looks like I'll have to settle for it being a c*nt hair off the ground. Sucks but ahh well, what ya gonna do.

Keep it going, keep it going.

Hahaha thanks doc, I'm giving it my all.

Where did you locate the "o" rings?

Had gotten a package of them from homedepot awhile ago for some plumbing stuff and I finally found them in my tool box. I herd you can find some in CD players but I've never looked.

amazing work!

Thanks Kevin

Thanks for all the motivation guys. Didn't get much done on this long weekend but I hope I can get more done this week. Guess we'll see.

Next up is the cross member, 4 link, shocks, tabs, and exhaust. Challenging part is trying to figure out where the hell it's all going to fit. Any suggestions/photos are appreciated.

I took some suspension pix at the good guys southwest nats last weekend, link is in the contests thread.

Thanks Mike but when I went and looked for the link I didn't see any photos. Could you post the link for me?

Great work looking forward to more.

Thanks Jerry, more to come soon.

Ok everyone, I need some help. I'm trying to build the 4 link but I don't have any plastic rod. The only rod I use is from the old parts tree and its to thick. The only thing I can find around the house are plastic q-tip post, old pens (the plastic rod that holds the ink), and those to are to thick. I have paper clips that might work but are metal.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of things around the house that might work? I'm open to anything so shoot em' out, let's see what you guys can come up with.

Edited by JasonFL

Ok everyone, I need some help. I'm trying to build the 4 link but I don't have any plastic rod. The only rod I use is from the old parts tree and its to thick. The only thing I can find around the house are plastic q-tip post, old pens (the plastic rod that holds the ink), and those to are to thick. I have paper clips that might work but are metal.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of things around the house that might work? I'm open to anything so shoot em' out, let's see what you guys can come up with.

Maybe you could heat up your parts tree and stretch it out a little thinner ?

What about cutting up some metal axles from die casts you may have taken the wheels off? They're metal but, seems like they would make a good beefy 4 link.

Thanks for the idea Ken. I'm not sure I have any extra sitting around but I'll have to take a look.

You could try tooth picks.

I've thought about that too Erik but I didn't have any in the house. They are pretty cheap, I may grab some next time I'm at the food store.

Maybe you could heat up your parts tree and stretch it out a little thinner ?

That's a pretty good idea pat, does that actually work? I've never done it before, if you have any tips I'd like to know. Thanks.

Another possibility is if you have a multi speed dremel, or any kind of rotary tool, try chucking up a length of plastic sprue (parts tree) and milling it down to the desired thickness. Use the lowest speed possible, and take your time. It will work.

Corey

Thanks Corey, I've thought of that one too. I have a b&d screw gun but I'm running extra low on sanding materials so unless you have another idea on how to mill it down I'm all ears.

have any skewers for kabobs? they might be close to the diameter that you are looking for.

Now that's thinking outside the box Paul. Unfortunately I do not have any of those in the house, good idea tho.

What a great looking build. I love the old Mercs. keep us posted Jason.

Thanks Gene, I'll do my best to keep everyone posted.

Jason, check all of your parts sprues even if you have to go through a few boxes. A lot of times there will be lengths of sprue that are a much smaller diameter. I used to use them all of the time for roll cages etc. until I finally started buying styrene rod.