Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project: "Inferno" 49 Merc - *Update p17* 3/13/15

JasonFL

Jason, check all of your parts sprues even if you have to go through a few boxes. A lot of times there will be lengths of sprue that are a much smaller diameter. I used to use them all of the time for roll cages etc. until I finally started buying styrene rod.

Rodger I cant tell you how many times I went through all my kits and extra parts trees I have and wouldn't you know, not one of them had a smaller thickness. When I get some cash I'm gonna have to figure out what sizes I need and order some up.

go to 711 store use coffee staws they are black plastic :D/>

that's funny...I got online to suggest that very thing,

or...do you use microbrushes? the handles might work for you

Todd and Paul, I never even thought of that. That's a real good idea. When I run into dunkin donuts the next time I'm gonna have to grab a handful of em'. Could probably use then for a bunch of different things.

Paul, what are the micro brushes you mentioned?

Hey, that might work! Or maybe you have a WD40 can with the little straw laying around. That should be good for a couple link bars at least.

It's funny you should mention that Ken. I went looking in the closet the other night for my WD40, found the straw but I'm afraid it will give me fish eyes when it's time to paint. On the other hand I found another type of straw from a 3M Dust Remover can that would work but I'm not sure if there are any chemicals in the can that would give me the same problem when it's time to paint. Not sure, I might just use it.

darn thing insisted on being a slide show...try going here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blunc

Thanks for that link Mike. A lot of nice photos you took. There were a couple photos that might help me out but I couldn't save them so when I can figure out how to sign back into Flickr I'll just have to friend ya if that's cool with you so I can refer back to them.

You can always re-appropriate parts from other kits. Sway bars make good fabrication parts.

Honestly though, brass rod is your best bet. Wire clothes hangers are usually a good source, but tend to be a bit thick for control arms/4 links.

I find some of the most useful stuff when I'm not looking for specific things. Go rummage through a thrift store.

First off I wanted to thank everyone for their help and suggestions.

So far this is what I found lying around the house. As you can see I have a couple different exhaust pipes, paper clip, q-tip post (blue), WD40 straw (red), and a 3M Dust Remover can straw (white).

The ideal thickness would be the 2nd set of exhaust from the top but its the ones I need to use for the Merc, go figure. Next best option would be the 3M straw. Still not sure what I'm gonna use.

abdaaa912e4232cb97504f9dbdac42fc.jpg

I also have a 32 ford kit that has a couple sets of stabilizer/radius bars, is it possible I could use a set of them?

Amongst that problem my other issue is still trying to figure out how I'm going to fit everything (4 link, shocks, exhaust, and brackets) at the rear with the over sized airbags.

As you can see here I did a quick layout where I think the 4 link and shocks will work but its so tight I have no idea how I'm going to squeeze the exhaust by to reach the desired exhaust openings.

Is it realistic to run the pipes over the gas tank and spare tire?

9434690c5f0ca9fb2e9384f78b750ce1.jpg

Sorry for all the questions but this is the first time attempting any of this so any sort of help/suggestions/opinions/photos are much appreciated.

You can always re-appropriate parts from other kits. Sway bars make good fabrication parts.

Honestly though, brass rod is your best bet. Wire clothes hangers are usually a good source, but tend to be a bit thick for control arms/4 links.

I find some of the most useful stuff when I'm not looking for specific things. Go rummage through a thrift store.

Thanks Ken, I was thinking about using some stabilizer/radius bars from my 32 kit. I checked out the metal hangers and they are to thick. Thanks for the help and welcome to the site.

Im stumped. My exhaust ends in front of the rear end on my truck. As for fisheyes, throw the straws in the purple pond while stewing on some ideas and let em soak. I'm thinking they might be a little stronger than coffee stirrers. (Stirrers, is that even a word?) :blink:

Edited by Skydime

Thanks for that link Mike. A lot of nice photos you took. There were a couple photos that might help me out but I couldn't save them so when I can figure out how to sign back into Flickr I'll just have to friend ya if that's cool with you so I can refer back to them.

That's fine with me. :)

Im stumped. My exhaust ends in front of the rear end on my truck. As for fisheyes, throw the straws in the purple pond while stewing on some ideas and let em soak. I'm thinking they might be a little stronger than coffee stirrers. (Stirrers, is that even a word?) :blink:/>

Haha....stirrers, good question. I thought about dumping that exhaust before the rear except I got this killer idea of putting them out of the bumper. You think if I ran them really close together down the middle I could squeeze them over the rear pumpkin and then somehow separate them to exit?

I'm a little new to all this so I'm not even sure what that purple pond is that everyone talks about. I do know if I have any chemicals in the house that are purple. What are some other chemicals guys use for stripping paint/chrome?

That's fine with me. :)/>

Thanks Mike, I added you. I'm under Perfect Aperture.

Great Work! I've just spent most of the last hour checking out this build!

Thanks a lot Thomas. Sorry it took you so long to look through it all but I appreciate it.

The exhaust can run over the spare, but not the gas tank. IRL it would serve to heat up the gas and would burn out your pump. Will there be room to run it to either side? As for your 4 link, you could always do a 3 link instead, two bars straight out and one cross bar. Would save you some room. As for sizes, Ive used 2mm rod for mine, so anything around that size is dead on, imo. Anything smaller will be too weak.

here's what I was referring to [img=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/fatkidd/microbrush.jpg].I buy them at a LHS or hobby lobby.

Ahh ok, I kinda thought that's what you were referring to. I actually do have some that I was looking at but the ones I have are to thick. Man, you have some good ideas though. You've really been brain storming over there, I appreciate it Paul.

purple power at dollor tree works great. On the links the go twolink can go on axle housen and the lower fit the frame

I'll have to look for it next time I'm by the dollar store. As for the linkage, I was going to do the tri 4 link like you suggested but then I worry about trying to get the exhaust over the links connected to the housing. I may have to spread the links on top out a bit and squeeze the exhaust over the top and then some how separate the exhaust their own way. Thanks again for the help

The exhaust can run over the spare, but not the gas tank. IRL it would serve to heat up the gas and would burn out your pump. Will there be room to run it to either side? As for your 4 link, you could always do a 3 link instead, two bars straight out and one cross bar. Would save you some room. As for sizes, Ive used 2mm rod for mine, so anything around that size is dead on, imo. Anything smaller will be too weak.

Very clean build btw, the fab work looks great!

Yea Brandon, I didn't think the exhaust woulda been safe over the gas tank like that, just running low on options. The exhaust pretty much has to run down the middle from the front due to the bags. No room to have them fit off to the side. After they pass over the rear I need to make them go into different directions to go out the rear bumper. That's why I asked about the gas tank option. I never thought about the 3 link, I'll look into that tonight. I'll keep that size in mind while I'm looking for the links and if I ever have extra cash to order some supplies.

Thanks for the compliment. It doesn't quit compare to that killer full frame build you got going on. One day I'll have to attempt the full frame build.

Can you post up some pics of the assembled rear with the surrounding area, I will see if I can maybe brainstorm something for your exhaust.

Yea bud, check out p8 post #158. It's rough but I think that's the layout I'm gonna go with. Then ill run the exhaust tightly down the middle, over the rear, and split it up around the gas tank/spare tire.

The only issue I see with that, and thats if you are going for realism, is that your exhaust would cause the suspension to bind up. Now, you could try something like this if you dont mind changing up your design a little:

IMG_4861.jpg

Or something more like what you want. All the stuff I was able to find shows the exhaust running up above the rear end and then around the gas tank. Where is yours going to exit?

2012%2003-12%202nd%20Chance%20Camaro%20H

Edited by ll Brandon ll

Haha....stirrers, good question. I thought about dumping that exhaust before the rear except I got this killer idea of putting them out of the bumper. You think if I ran them really close together down the middle I could squeeze them over the rear pumpkin and then somehow separate them to exit?

I'm a little new to all this so I'm not even sure what that purple pond is that everyone talks about. I do know if I have any chemicals in the house that are purple. What are some other chemicals guys use for stripping paint/chrome?

My best opinion...it's a custom. Ditch the spare tire all together and locate a fuel cell from another kit. Throw the fuel cell in the trunk and fill the gaps left in the floor. If you don't have any styrene stock right now, use an old "For Sale" sign, a spare flat hood, or one of those credit card things with no raised letters everyone sends you in the mail to fill in the gap. (I make roll pans out of those cards sometimes.) With those items out of the way, your worries will now be minimumized.

Also as described above, the "purple pond" is simply degreaser. It's called that because it's highly popular to use Purple Power or a similar brand in that color. Dollar Tree also has a brand called "L.A.s Totally Awesome. I use it quite a bit...It is in a clear bottle and has a yellowish tint to it. The reason so many people refer to it here as the"purple pond" is because they pour it into a container slightly larger than the model when they want to strip all the paint from it...just let it sit a couple days and then take a brush to it under running cold water when it comes out to get the old unwanted paint removed. In essence, it soaks in a pond of it.

Edited by Skydime