Model Cars Magazine Forum

Working Rear Shocks and Driveshaft with articulated U-joints

Scale-Master

Mostly aluminum. A couple-few dozen parts and some wires and custom decals. Even has the shock absorbing mounts...

DSC09986C.jpg

DSC19988C.jpg

DSC19987C.jpg

And a couple of secondary fuel filters. One for the normal fuel injection, one for the boost when nitrous is engaged... Aluminum and soldered brass for the bracket...

DSC109980C.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Here is the gauge set I made for the Super 7, in no particular order. Auto Meter Ultralite series. Everything is scratchbuilt. I created the gauge faces and the needles are parts, not decals...

DSC00301C.jpg

Here is a shot of one of the smaller ones and it's lens, (machined from 1/4 inch thick acrylic sheet):

DSC00278C.jpg

And the "Arm Nitrous" dash switch...

DSC00303C.jpg

I have to ask the question...

Does your model bench feature a low power microscope and a series of magnifying glasses? And do you have to wash your hands in really hot water to get them to shrink small enough to build this wonderful stuff?! Or do you cheat and hire little tiny pixies with engineering degrees?

My dad was a precision machinist and was fascinated by close tolerance, finely detailed and accurate anything. He would have loved your work. He would have said "That's some good work there, kid. Ya done good." You have no idea what high praise that would have been.

It's one thing to detail, and it's another to make something small and apparently true to scale, but doing both borders on witchcraft & wizardry.

Mark,

As usual, I can't find words beyond WOW! Your work is in a class by itself. How did you do the toggle switches? Also, in the last picture, the third gauge from left to right, Does the pointer pivots down the bottom like the first one?

Thanks,

Thanks guys.

The first small gauge on the right is a vacuum gauge. The sweep is reversed from the other gauges. Not sure why Auto Meter does it that way, I have Sun vacuum gauges in my real cars and they work with the more traditional clockwise sweep. But I copied the real deals, so that's how it had to be.

As for the toggle switches. I machined the hex and the recepticle out of aluminum, then I made the toggle and stuck it in the hole...