Model Cars Magazine Forum

Blue Magic, New Paint Stripper

Gregg

With all the talk of the best paint stripper available, I was surprised to find in the mailbox a new product called Blue Magic.

It's available for $21.95 per quart, plus shipping, and is available from: driverrogerinmotion@frontier.com

I did a pretty thorough test, and I am amazed.

Give Roger an email for more information.

post-3-0-32178200-1329474101_thumb.jpg

The test was my old Tamiya Porsche 956 that I had recently painted Tamiya Black, a lacquer-based paint.

post-3-0-42126200-1329474144_thumb.jpg

I started the test as you can see.

post-3-0-01017400-1329474166_thumb.jpg

After one hour, the paint had softened up.

I decided to let it soak overnight.

post-3-0-83174900-1329474192_thumb.jpg

After 24 hours, this is what it looked like after gentle scrubbing with a stiff brush.

Like I said, I am amazed!

IF it strips BLACK paint of ANY brand it's WORTH the price, just don't get crazy with it. Gregg, If you filter it out before each use will it last longer? Does it evaporate fast? PP, CSC, Westleys, simple green, OVEN CLEANER, NOTHING I've tryed YET has EVER given a satisfactory result when I've tried to strip BLACK paint from old models. NOT even BRAKE fluid. This may be worth it to me. Thanks for turnin us on to it!!!!! :D :D :D

Edited by george 53

If you want the best, you have to pay for it.

Yes, it's expensive, but with these results, I would buy it myself.

There was my usual primer under the black, DupliColor primer surfacer, then the black, both Testors and Tamiya, I know, I know, that's a no-no.

that's why I had to strip it.

I will do another test this weekend.

One thing I did do was put a bunch of paint-laden hemostats in the bin for overnight, and they are spotless!

There were at least five years of paint booth paint on them, crusted up to the max.

I sealed the tub, so evaporation should not be an issue.

I would assume that filtering would work, I'll ask the company.

I have also used that Easy Lift Off, but that stuff is down right nasty!

It is about the same price, when you consider the price per volume, with Blue Magic probably cheaper, since it's a quart.

So, yes, it's expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Did you get an MSDS with it, Gregg? I would be curious to see what the active ingredients are.

From the eBay listing:

"BLUE MAGIC PAINT STRIPPER: Being a model car builder and collecter for over 50 years..

Fast, Safe, And simple paint removal was always a concern. Then about 20 years ago I discovered this incredible stuff. It did everything I've always wanted a paint remover to do. It didn't take long and all my friends started using it as well. I would never dream of using anything else, and believe me I've tried them all!

This was a commercial, and never was availaable in any retail outlets. I contacted the manufacterer and was finally able to get this in one quart bottles.

I'm now offering this amazing stuff to everyone in the hobby @ $21.95 per Quart plus shipping.

This is how this product works. You find a suitable size tupperware container, big enough to submerce the entire model and all parts needing to be stripped. I ONLY USE THIS STUFF FULL STRENGTH, AND ALWAYS TEST IT ON A SMALL PART FIRST. some of the models I buy, have been painted in a hot lacquer with no primer, in which case the paint is usually burned into the plastic and simply will not totally strip. This stuff is safe on clear plastic and will also remove old decals and strip plated parts in minutes. This product is extremely potented when used in full strenghth. The less time you let it soak, the better.(BESURE TO ALWAY KEEP THE LID SEALED WHILE SOAKING,AS THE FUMES ALONE CAN SPEED UP THE PROCESS). I have no problem stripping diecast models; however be very sure to test it on resin models, because they are not alway the same. Once the model's are ready to be taken out of the container, hold it under a faucet, (warm water is best), and just lightly brush all the paint off with a toothbrush. It will clean,shine, and be ready to Paint.

Final note; After finished, simply leave the product right in the container, making sure the lid is tightly sealed. This is a non toxic biodegradable product but I always suggest wearing rubber gloves, and working in a well ventilated area.

AND PLEASE KEEP IT AWAY FROM CHILDREN AND PETS...

MANUFACTRED IN THE U.S.A.,"

There was/is a MSDS sheet with it, I'd have to find it.

I did another test today, a Monte Carlo that was painted with the Testor's gold metallics, that was being super stubborn and would not let go of the final paint on the roof.

I let it soak for two hours tonight, and it took off that last stubborn gold paint.

I love this stuff!!!!

I had tried everything with the Monte; Easy Off, Purple stuff, even the Easy Lift Off. Nothing would get that last part of the roof off, I was even down to sanding it.

Two hours, and it was gone.

I'm sold!

• 1 month later...

Might need to look into this, cost be darned... I've got a few projects stalled for the simple fact they have some old paint remaining on them, paint which has so far shrugged off everything I can throw at them short of freakin' sandblasting! A few stubborn, clingy spots can ruin your whole day, and I don't see ANY stubborn, clingy spots in the pics posted.

• 4 weeks later...

This stuff looks like it works really good. Tamiya paint is the worst to remove. I once painted a seat with Tamiya paint and two hours later I could not get anything to remove it except MR. PAINT REMOVER. That stuff was around 8 bucks for a four once bottle which probably makes this stuff cheaper by the ounce.

With all the talk of the best paint stripper available, I was surprised to find in the mailbox a new product called Blue Magic.

It's available for $21.95 per quart, plus shipping, and is available from: driverrogerinmotion@frontier.com

I did a pretty thorough test, and I am amazed.

Give Roger an email for more information.

post-3-0-32178200-1329474101_thumb.jpg

The test was my old Tamiya Porsche 956 that I had recently painted Tamiya Black, a lacquer-based paint.

post-3-0-42126200-1329474144_thumb.jpg

I started the test as you can see.

post-3-0-01017400-1329474166_thumb.jpg

After one hour, the paint had softened up.

I decided to let it soak overnight.

post-3-0-83174900-1329474192_thumb.jpg

After 24 hours, this is what it looked like after gentle scrubbing with a stiff brush.

Like I said, I am amazed!

You should be AMAZED at $87.80 a gallon, and I thought that gas was high?

• 6 months later...

Hi guys well I finely went and bought some of this stuff and I to found it to be very expensive.I didn't find it to be all that great but some stuff for paint and chrome removal works for different people.So I went back to good old brake fluid to strip paint and good old bleach to strip chrome.Just adding my two cents.

• 1 year later...

My experience has been fantastic on Testor's paints. Keep in mind I can never guarantee results due to all the combinations of paints and plastics. I have yet to have anybody actually use Blue Magic that didn't like it or ask for a refund. It is not a one time use product but its effectiveness will fade with use, just like anything else. I always welcome feedback so that we can all get better.

Here's the website: www.bluemagicpaintstripper.com feel free to call or email.

I always say stick with what works, I know I do. I would be interested to know when my stripper doesn't work. I think there should be a guide that includes what damages different plastics. The 20 page thread on here about stripping is extremely valuable. What's interesting is how some swear by something and others hate it.