Model Cars Magazine Forum

SCREAMING YELLOW ZONKER

GrandpaMcGurk

Really cool project.

Love the idea of sleeveing the holes in the frame . Wanted to do a frame with holes but with plastic it would be too fragile without reinforcement.

bobthehobbyguy

The sleeves make all the difference Bob...it not only makes the rail stronger and less prone to sagging, it looks way cool.

Have to hang a pumpkin under here somewhere so I think I'll go with coils, shocks and Brooklyn Bridge traction bars.

For the upper coil buckets I cut a section of the cap from defunct drafting pens and tied them together with sheet plastic....this will become a rear crossmember.

ASYZ2023.jpg

ASYZ2024.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Time to do a little body work, as you can see in this photo the roof has been chopped at the front (only) to give it a foward raked appearance. When the rear wheel wells were opened up the rear bottom corner of the doors was lost....suppose I could leave them as is but like they say..."the devil is in the detail"....., besides it would drive me nutz.

Also the body lines on this Lindy body weren't all that crisp anyway.

ASYZbod001.jpg

I re-scribed the doors to make them work with those honkin' wheel wells, also started filing in some body lines and drip rails....I think I'm going flare or put a lip on the wheel wells when I add the inner tubs.

Oh my....there just might be a cool Topo hiding in this hunk of plastic.

ASYZbod002.jpg

ASYZbod003.jpg

ASYZbod005.jpg

I'll be mixing up my own paint for this thing.....I don't think anyone has Screaming Yellow on the shelf....LOL.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Help me out a little if you would...

I'm having trouble deciding who's gonna drive this thing, on one hand Mr. Bones is ready to strap in, on the flip side there's always the Rat Finks alter ego.

There's the fancy lad with the billboard grin and the list goes on. I know the car isn't done yet but given what you've seen and knowing how far fetched this build is, who or what would you like to see crammed in that tiny Topo as a driver.....NO REAL PEOPLE PLEASE....... I don't want to play there!

Thanks Vince.....Mr. Bones was given to me years ago by an ol' gear head buddy.

It's fully articulated as you can see by the way I've posed it in the pics.

All the pieces snap together (there's a bunch of 'em), ball & socket joints etc.

If you're asking if one could be purchased somewhere...I have no idea.

I searched the net a few times quite a while back but never came across another.

I had this Topo grille shell roughed out to start with...it's the plastic nose piece from the 1/12th Lindy kit. I tweaked it a little, threw some Super Sculpey at it and got to thinking.........yeah, I know...I shouldn't be doing that, right?

Anyway......if I had to be right up front in harms way with bones driving this thing, I do believe I'd look a little concerned.

Ascary001.jpg

Ascary002.jpg

Ascary004.jpg

Ascary005.jpg