Model Cars Magazine Forum

cool pix, first time I've seen plug heat shields on one of those.

is that a tach drive distributor?

here's a tidbit, the fuel pump has a vacuum pump built into the top to run the windshield wiper motor and anything else they decided to tack on.

Make note that the oil pan in Bill's pictures is T-Bird only, regular cars had the sump at the front and a longer oil pickup tube from the oil pump.
Pickup's with Y-block also had rear sump.

Edited by Force

• 3 weeks later...

Nice close up pic of what I assume is the fuel pump (out of this guy's photo gallery of the engine rebuild for his '55 F250 truck), which seems to most closely resemble what's in the AMT '56 Crown Vic kit. I wouldn't have known the lower section of the kit pump was a clear glass piece without this pic.

But what is that upward angled black can immediately behind the fuel pump and what's with the pipe coming straight down from it? I see that in other Ford engine illustrations...

gallery_12144_1240_119617.jpg

yup, that has been blanked off on the engine that Bill posted.

PCV valves weren't in play yet.

Exactly. The T-bird engines didn't use the block-mounted breather canister assembly,as shown, or the lower-glass-bowl fuel pump due to accessibility-for-service issues in the 'Bird chassis.

Y-blocks used two different crankcase ventilation systems ("road-draft-tubes") and the very last of the line had a PCV system.

• 3 weeks later...

....PCV valves weren't in play yet.

By random chance, I was leafing through my dad's old car reference files this weekend, and long ago he'd cut out the article seen here in Google's scans of the Sept 1966 Popular Mechanics magazine, about PCV valves. According to the drawing on that first page, the crankcase vent tubes were used up to 1963.

• 2 months later...

By random chance, I was leafing through my dad's old car reference files this weekend, and long ago he'd cut out the article seen here in Google's scans of the Sept 1966 Popular Mechanics magazine, about PCV valves. According to the drawing on that first page, the crankcase vent tubes were used up to 1963.

In some cases the road draft tube was used that late. My brother's 56 Ford Wagon 292 had the road draft tube which came out of the engine near the distibutor and down alongside the bellhousing. My 61 F100 292 had no road draft and had a PCV. The valve covers on mine looked very much like those on the hot rod with Hilborn injection above, but without the add-on aluminum trim. My brother's had the oil filter with the bolt through the middle, but he converted it to a spin-on. Mine came with the spin-on.. His was front sump, mine was rear sump. His had dual exhaust, mine was single with a crossover pipe from the front of the right manifold to the front of the left.

My F100 292 died in the mid 70s. Timing chain jumped a couple of teeth. At the time, I couldn't find rreplacement parts to rebuild it. No timing chain, no rod bearings, no valve springs, etc. I was calling all over the country talking to T-Bird restoration guys. When I would ask if they had parts for the Y-Blocks, they would answer "No, but if you find any, we'll pay you a finder's fee!" After hearing that many times, I put a 428 Cobra Jet out of a 1970 Cougar Eliminator in the truck. It's still there, but way overdue for a rebuild.

Richard if you wanted parts for a Y block in the 70's you could have looked in Toledo OH. An old private parts store had them on the shelves when my brother worked there in the 80'S . They were a full service rebuild shop also. No internet to link the old school shops together back then.