Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rommel's Rod sells for $ 1 million +

Interesting. But, no where as cool as Tom Daniel's design. Plus, nothing in the article to indicated Rommel ever road in one. Much less that one. I'm sure he had occasion to ride in one ones or twice. But, it makes me wonder? What did Rommel use as his main form of ground transportation during the African Campaign?

Scott

I think that tom daniels thing is a monstrosity but that's what I thought about most of his "creations".

its just amazing to me that in this day of everything being politically correct, a major model manufacturer actually markets a cartoon based on mass murder and holocaust and even puts swatstikas on it. is that thing still available new/reissued?

jb

I think that tom daniels thing is a monstrosity but that's what I thought about most of his "creations".

its just amazing to me that in this day of everything being politically correct, a major model manufacturer actually markets a cartoon based on mass murder and holocaust and even puts swatstikas on it. is that thing still available new/reissued?

jb

Good lord, lighten up. I suppose it is wrong for model companies in your mind to make models of German aircraft armour and ships too.

>Good lord, lighten up. I suppose it is wrong for model companies in your mind to make models of German aircraft armour and ships too.

hey I am with you all the way! I have always advocated that one of the major model companies ought to release a replica of Charlie mansons dune buggys too. strangely no one has managed to see the genius in my idea.

and you might have noticed, had you actually read my post, that I was just commenting on the historical reality, not suggesting it. but you DO know the swatstika is a totally outlawed symbol in many countries (starting with Germany) and I believe right on ebay as well? and that a kid can get kicked out of school for so much as scrawling a swatstika on his book cover?

its not me who needs to lighten up, its the world that needs to.

jb

jb

Those are not Swastikas on the Rommel Rod. The headlamp covers are Iron Crosses which date pre WWI and the other markings are just armed force markings of Germany. The kit never had Swastika markings.

Old WW II military vehicles are interesting and rare because few survived. Many were destroyed in battle and the remainders scrapped after the war. They weren't built to last, vehicles like Kubelwagons were designed to last 3 months on the battle field. No rust proofing and not even paint on inner surfaces. So those that did remain rusted away. No mention in the article about how many of these actually remain, so it's probably near one of a kind.

Edited by Tom Geiger

jb

Hope everyone realizes Rommel wasn't a Nazi and was put to death after being implicated in an assassination attempt on Hitler. There was only one swastika in the kit, the DAK palm tree decal and it was never shown on the outer box art, even the original.

Rommel's other African ride, "Mortiz" an AEC Dorchester captured from the British 8th Army.

moritz2.jpg

Edited by Brett Barrow

Why is there a panic over a Swastika on a model kit? How about the Confederate Flag on the General Lee?

Let the mayhem begin! :P

And the Palm and Swastika was the logo of the Africa Korps and thus historically accurate

Edited by Daddyfink

If anybody feels like branching out, for an actual Rommel Rod to put next to your Tom Daniel, there is AFV Club's awesome Dorchester (Passion Models makes a decal sheet for Max and Mortiz), and Greif has been done several times by different manufacturers.

1-35-AEC-Dorchester-ACV-AFV-Club-35227-A

Swastika on the spare tire cover with a Palm Tree

Sad fact is that the Swastika was a sign of good luck and good fortune before Hitler got ahold of it and made it the symbol of attrocity! I have a 1908 era postcard with one on it that is for good luck. There is history with American Indians as well.

There is an organization right now trying to redeem the Swastika. See web report: http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-swastika-banner-new-york-beach-20140714-story.html

Notice that after WWII there weren't any babies named Adolph. Check your local phone book. Bet there's nobody named HItler listed. Same thing.

Why is there a panic over a Swastika on a model kit? How about the Confederate Flag on the General Lee?

Let the mayhem begin! :P

And the Palm and Swastika was the logo of the Africa Korps and thus historically accurate

In 13 years of selling hobbies I have never, not once, had anyone show offense to a swastika on a model. But the offense shown when they are left out as on most European kits? Off the charts. Believe me Revell would have taken waaaaaaaay more heat for leaving the swastika out of the redone Rommel's Rod, especially since they include them in their aircraft kits. Revell US is one of the few companies that still show the swastika on the box top, most others leave them off the box art even if the decals are in the kit. Some companies print them on the margin of the sheet so they can be chopped off for sale in Europe, or break them into two parts so they don't appear to be swastikas at first glance. Revell Germany, of course, by law cannot have them in any form in their kits, even the split ones.

The swastika is an ancient symbol that dates back many hundreds, if not thousands, of years. It appears in ancient civilizations, it was a common decorative element in tile work of building floors long before it became a symbol of the Nazi party. Heck, we even used it ourselves...

untitled-2.jpg