Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1/12 Shelby GT350

I built this kit about 20 years ago and it is still in my display case, I think it went together OK!? I only used the GT350 decals for the sides the stripes were masked and paitned guardsman blue. I added some detail wiring and the battery in the trunk. I always thought the tires were too chunky, but thats what they gave you.

100_0226-vi.jpg

100_0227-vi.jpg

TuesdayNovember2420096-vi.jpg

Good luck building it.

Jerry

Wow, rade8boy, that's nice. I was still working on this post before I saw it.

One way I size up a potential purchase is to check out the instructions, but you probably already know that. Your beautiful builds always look like you did a ton of preparation.

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/instruction_sheetsh/instruction_sheets/revell-5/revell-shelby-350-g/

I would assume this kit is very similar to the Mustang GT. Here's a not-very-good build that leaves me questioning a number of things...

http://cgi.ebay.com/BUILT-MODEL-KIT-REVELL-1965-MUSTANG-1-12TH-SCALE-/370515742299?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5644758e5b

MustangGT1-12.png

Edited by sjordan2

I have this kit. I bought it when it first came out and I've done nothing to it except to sand and prime the body, doors hood, and trunk and install the side window louvers. I don't want tp paint it white and that's what kept me from continuing because I thought the car was supposed to be white. Any other color suggestions that wouldn't be out of place on this style of Mustang?

Wow, rade8boy, that's nice. I was still working on this post before I saw it.

One way I size up a potential purchase is to check out the instructions, but you probably already know that. Your beautiful builds always look like you did a ton of preparation.

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/instruction_sheetsh/instruction_sheets/revell-5/revell-shelby-350-g/

I would assume this kit is very similar to the Mustang GT. Here's a not-very-good build that leaves me questioning a number of things...

http://cgi.ebay.com/BUILT-MODEL-KIT-REVELL-1965-MUSTANG-1-12TH-SCALE-/370515742299?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5644758e5b

MustangGT1-12.png

Skip;

I do believe they are the same kit, with some part differences,as I also have the one in your picture. I have always been around and owned 1:1 Mustangs, Back Before Kids!!! :lol: And thanks for the complement, I just build slooow, from lack of time and sometimes that translates into a good build.

Jerry

I have this kit. I bought it when it first came out and I've done nothing to it except to sand and prime the body, doors hood, and trunk and install the side window louvers. I don't want tp paint it white and that's what kept me from continuing because I thought the car was supposed to be white. Any other color suggestions that wouldn't be out of place on this style of Mustang?

I don't know what factory colors were actually available, or what was authentic for each particular year, but this shows a couple of shades of blue, red, burgundy – and my favorite, the Hertz rental car in black with gold stripes from later years (known as the GT350H).

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1377&bih=757&gbv=2&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=1965+shelby+gt350+mustang&btnG=Search&oq=1965+shelby+gt350+mustang&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=40486l42366l0l5l5l0l0l0l0l196l690l1.4l5

Edited by sjordan2

White is correct for a 1965 Shelby GT 350. If you were to convert it to a 1966 Shelby, then it could be painted other colors. To convert it, you would need side scoops, 1/4 panel windows, and the 1966 GT interior. Those are the major differences.

Dave

White is correct for a 1965 Shelby GT 350. If you were to convert it to a 1966 Shelby, then it could be painted other colors. To convert it, you would need side scoops, 1/4 panel windows, and the 1966 GT interior. Those are the major differences.

Dave

Dashboards are also different for a '66 if you want the interior to be totally correct :D

...........................I dunno, looking at those build pics the entire roof looks kinda "chopped" to my view, but then this is a very old tool.

Jerry, yours is a very clean build! It's the shape of the roofline that was the turnoff for me when Revell intro'd this years ago. I don't know of anyone else that did a 1/12 '65 Mustang glue kit however! :D

Edited by MrObsessive

Ron, If you decide to do the Hertz version, you'd want to eliminate the side louvers on the roof and replace them with glass with a thin chrome surround. Also, you might create your own decals for the proper ID below. You may have a better idea, but I'd paint the gold stripes, and reproduce the black parts on clear decal paper. Others may have better suggestions. As for the rest of the differences, I don't know.

Hertzgt350.jpg

Edited by sjordan2

Thanks guys. Looks like this would be alot of work. Is it just me, or are almost all the proportions way off? The roof line height and shape. The ride height. The headlight diameter and "flat" front end. The wheels and tires. The blocky side coves.

Here is a pic for reference:

01-reggie-jackson-shelby-gt350.jpg

This kit was originally tooled up by Renwal, then Revell acquired the tooling when they acquired Renwal. I think the Renwal version had a red box art car, but it's been a while since I've seen one. :)

That makes sense. Revell also reissued Renwal's hideous 1/12 1965 Ferrari 275 GTB and Mercedes Gullwing kits produced in the same era. I'd be scared about the GT 350 if it's anything like those - except Rade8boy sure did a nice job on it.

Edited by sjordan2

Dave

dont forget the bars in the grill!

i know one year they run vertical and the other year they run horizontal!

cant think which is which though!

I've looked at these many times on eBay myself, unsure what the accuracy was like, but loving the look of them regardless....I'll probably be content to wait and see the new 2010 version when it arrives....:rolleyes:

I'm sure that with your fine talent and attention to detail David, you could quite easily make a show piece from one of these though....your Corvette's and Camaro's always look stunning. :lol:

I've looked at these many times on eBay myself, unsure what the accuracy was like, but loving the look of them regardless....I'll probably be content to wait and see the new 2010 version when it arrives....:rolleyes:

I'm sure that with your fine talent and attention to detail David, you could quite easily make a show piece from one of these though....your Corvette's and Camaro's always look stunning. :lol:

What he said! I've wanted this Mustang kit for a while, but at this point it would land too far on the back burner for me to give it any attention right now. Hawk, I beleive you could make this kit into an incredibly, shockingly, beautiful showstopper. Do it up, man!

The kit may not be the most accurate but I like big scale kits and Mustangs, I try to do the best with what is given. And like most everyone else I cannot wait until the new Revell 1/12 2010 is released!! :unsure: It is surprising that they are even making something new in this scale! I have a couple of the OLD Doyusha/Otaki 1/12 scale Mustang and TransAm kits, that I was able to snag many years ago at reasonable prices (pre-ebay), along some of the Entex 1/16th scale kits.I would love to get some of the other kits in the series, even though they are inaccurate they are IMHO interesting kits! I read somewhere (maybe a forum?) that whoever holds the molds is afraid to release them again due to the inacuracies in them and the precived critism they would get?? I personally would love to get them at reasonable prices!

I have both of these kits- the GT350 I bought new,the yellow GT was given to me by a fellow modeler. I can say the dimensions for the roof are definately off compared to the 1:1 car. I even think the side dimensions are incorrect. The window louvers would need a redo also. I am a big Shelby fan and have built several 1/24 scale kits. This kit would need serious work to get close to the actual car, thats why I stopped at cleaning up body flash. I own 3 67/8 Mustang fastbacks that I can pull dimensions from but not a 65/6 which would be the best way to resize this body. It may be possible to use the Revell/Monogram 1/24 kit and scale up? I hope that you take on this challenge it would make an awesome kit with some attention.

As already mention former Renwal kit from the mid 60's (in their 1/12th big car "TOY" kit series) landing at Revell in mid 70's, surely not accurate to today's standards: as you can see body proportions are not the best, as for frame/ engine/interior, pretty basic detailing & so-so accuracy for such a large scale kit...but then again, the kit was made mostly for kids 45++++ years ago ;)

Revell's mid 80's slight Shelby version "retooling" is surely not perfect, but again, after all those years, still the only 1/12th large scale '65-'66 Mustang plastic kit to this day, long gone &...so pricey! now a days...kool if Revell could bring it back simultaniously with the upcoming 1/12 2010 kit, introduction :rolleyes: