Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 wants to know what you want!

I would love to see a late model Ford pickup. Anything 2004 or newer.

I'd also like to see a 2000 Mustang GT(my first car), but I know that's a pretty specific request.

It's too bad they never did a variation of their '99 Cobra as a GT...would have been nice.

Junkman, you need to remember that in the US the core model building market is men age 55 and older...Revell, Moiebus and Round 2's new releases target that core demographic. They are giving the old guys what they want.

I agree with Junkman, but also understand that the core age group is in 50+ , I guess the only thing I can say is good thing the Japanese companys are targeting the under 50 age group :D

I guess I should I should I post something on topic, since it seems Round 2 is all about doing reissues vs new tooling, I would like them to keep bringing back van kits, the truck kits from the 90s, more so the 454SS kit, I would love to see that come back, I guess alot of stuff from the 90s. There are a lot more older kits that I would like to see, but cant think of them at the moment

Edited by martinfan5

As has been mentioned here many times, Round2 would be best served with asking us to choose from a list of available tools of what to reissue. I am not going to list my wants, I want them to let me know what is possible and then I can vote accordingly.

It would be nice to see some old AMT & MPC kits reissued and knowing what "could be" is something a lot of us would appreciate!

As has been mentioned here many times, Round2 would be best served with asking us to choose from a list of available tools of what to reissue. I am not going to list my wants, I want them to let me know what is possible and then I can vote accordingly.

It would be nice to see some old AMT & MPC kits reissued and knowing what "could be" is something a lot of us would appreciate!

I sent them an email asking about the possibility of doing such a thing (listing what might be available) - the marketing director was very prompt to reply but didn't really address the idea. She said the FB was a "dream model" type of post. They use the usual marketing - research, polls, and focus groups.

I would assume there is some kind of secrecy in saying "here is all we have" in terms of competition, etc., so we probably won't know all the potential kits that could be reissued from the AMT/MPC vaults. I hope that Pinto mold is there...

I agree with Junkman, but also understand that the core age group is in 50+ , I guess the only thing I can say is good thing the Japanese companys are targeting the under 50 age group :D

Well, I guess when you're in the "50+ core age group" you and your cronies can look forward to all the scale old 70's and 80's and 90's "vintage" japallacs, rice-burners, and phartcanmobiles you can handle!

And all the young pups will be complaining the model companies are catering to you old geezers and aren't manufacturing enough "vintage" rat rod C-7 Vette kits or led sled lorider jelly bean Taurus kits or Crown Vic drifter kits.

:P

The Japanese companies are focusing on their home market. It's a different culture (as you can see from some of their van creations) and people still build models there. It's also a culture that focuses more on new cars than old, and conforming more than individuality. They really don't see the US as a market, note that they don't include US versions or even LHD dashes in most of their kits.

Edited by Tom Geiger

AMT_1963_Wagoneer.jpg

AMT_JeepStationWagon.jpg

AMT_1971_Riviera_GS.jpg

AMT_Marauder_X100.jpg

AMT_72_Fury.jpg

AMT_78_Thunderbird.jpg

So you see a market for all of these? Not saying I would mind seeing them on the shelves, but not saying I would buy all of them either. They would be all new tools for cars that probably will not sell well. Marketing research... it's not just what the "core group" wants. Look at the 1:1 world of trends for a moment. Let's take "DONKS" for instance. I have no interest in the subject matter. One of the worst automotive trends I have ever seen IMO... BUT, a company had the guts to tool up new parts to modify current kits to follow the trends. Same thing with lowriders. Have you been to a news stand lately? Customs, Gassers, vintage style hot rods, muscle cars... these are the vogue thing right now. And if you look really closely alot of the re-issue's have been right in line with the trends. I have no ambition to convince you that the current release's and re-issues are what EVERYONE wanted. Someone did research somewhere and figured they would be a good gamble. I am not sure why there seems to be so much gruff about posting something this simple.

I'm IN for ALL of those, Terry.

(Well, maybe not the TBird, but certainly ALL the rest!)

I just can't believe the Plymouth and the Jeeps have not already graced the plastic kit shelves.

Especially the Willys station wagon genre. There's already a very nice SpecCast diecast which could be converted easily to plastic.

B)

The Japanese companies are focusing on their home market. It's a different culture (as you can see from some of their van creations) and people still build models there. It's also a culture that focuses more on new cars than old, and conforming more than individuality. They really don't see the US as a market, note that they don't include US versions or even LHD dashes in most of their kits.

I would of never known that if you didnt tell me :rolleyes::P

I was not comparing the two ( US, Japan companys) all I was saying is I am glad that they tool the kits that they do, meaning newer stuff, vs here which is mostly older stuff.

Edited by martinfan5

Well, I guess when you're in the "50+ core age group" you and your cronies can look forward to all the scale old 70's and 80's and 90's "vintage" japallacs, rice-burners, and phartcanmobiles you can handle!

And all the young pups will be complaining the model companies are catering to you old geezers and aren't manufacturing enough "vintage" rat rod C-7 Vette kits or led sled lorider jelly bean Taurus kits or Crown Vic drifter kits.

:P

Dont forget all the American stuff from the 70's-90's as well :D , I do hope by that time , that they will have kitted an Crown Vic (99-2011) by then

And get off my lawn

I think I dont express what I am wanting to say properly, yes, my interest in modeling is newer stuff, meaning cars that I grew up with (80s and up), just like the core age group wants to build stuff that they grew up with, nothing wrong with that, and there is stuff from the core age group that I would like to build, but my main interest is a little newer, again ,nothing wrong with that.

Edited by martinfan5

Well, I guess there is a reason for it.

How many bloody 56 Ford reissues do I need in my life? I had what feels like 20.

In what feels like 30 years, I got the following new tooled kits:

50 Olds

5x Hudson or what that bloody thing is.

Nobody with half a brain can convince me, that the world was waiting for those two kits.

The hype is simply based on the fact, that we became grateful for any newly tooled kit, no matter what the bloody heck they think to unload on us.

It's pathetic.

I'm sick and tired of their nonsense. Everyone with half a brain buys diecasts by now. The diecast boys do what the kit makers fail to understand for well over a quarter century now.

Lissen, if a manufacturer has to ask around what to release next, he'll be broke in less than two years. Mark my words and I rest my bloody case.

I wish the plastic model kit industry was not run by backward hillbillies. I really do. But alas.

Well, I work in that industry, but since I don't run it I guess I'm not a backward hillbilly with half a brain.

But you know what I do have? Data. Facts. The ability to look at sales numbers and see how well a kit is doing.

#1 best selling car model kit over the past 12 months (for my company, anyway) - 1950 Olds. C'mon it's the Rocket 88, Ike Turner wrote one of the earliest rock and roll songs about it.

#2 - Revell's 57 Ford. And it's only been out a couple of months. I predict in 12 months it will have outsold the Olds.

#4 is Moebius' 55 Chrysler 300.

Moebius' 52 Hudson Hornet convertible is in the top 10, and it would appear that if you added up all the variants, the 53 coupe and all the NASCAR versions, it'd still be solidly in the top 5 or so. (the 53 Hornet is the #1 kit over the past 2 years)

But again, what do I know? I just do this for a living...

Nobody with half a brain can convince me, that the world was waiting for those two kits.

Well, apparently the world was ... the three kits you mentioned (in case you can't count) are the top three grossers this year ...

I'm sick and tired of their nonsense. Everyone with half a brain buys diecasts by now.

I don't buy die casts (note the correct spelling). And I have much more than just half a brain.

Or are you actually saying that only people with only half a brain make up the die cast market's constituency?

Lissen, if a manufacturer has to ask around what to release next, he'll be broke in less than two years. Mark my words and I rest my bloody case.

I guess you're referring to Revell. Let's see ... they've been around for 60 some years. You're certain they'll be broke in less than two years.

Okay. We'll write that down and check back with you.

But you're probably, right, of course ... they've recently produced the top two selling NEW TOOL kits of the past year and they're probably teetering on the brink of failure.

I wish the plastic model kit industry was not run by backward hillbillies.

There just isn't even any way to address such a stupid, insulting, offensive and outrageous comment.

Unless one was a moderator and could dump your vapid post into the literary latrine.

Perhaps you'd find yourself happier on the Die Cast Digest forum?

:mellow:

Well, I work in that industry, but since I don't run it I guess I'm not a backward hillbilly with half a brain.

But you know what I do have? Data. Facts. The ability to look at sales numbers and see how well a kit is doing.

#1 best selling car model kit over the past 12 months (for my company, anyway) - 1950 Olds. C'mon it's the Rocket 88, Ike Turner wrote one of the earliest rock and roll songs about it.

#2 - Revell's 57 Ford. And it's only been out a couple of months. I predict in 12 months it will have outsold the Olds.

#4 is Moebius' 55 Chrysler 300.

Moebius' 52 Hudson Hornet convertible is in the top 10, and it would appear that if you added up all the variants, the 53 coupe and all the NASCAR versions, it'd still be solidly in the top 5 or so. (the 53 Hornet is the #1 kit over the past 2 years)

It will be interesting to see if the Rat Roaster has the same staying power as the 50 Olds and the 57 Ford - both kits will see modified reissues and straight reissues for years to come. The Rat Roaster will be a big seller now, but interesting to see...

It would be interesting (to me, anyhow) to compare sales numbers for all these kits based on source - for instance brick and mortar versus online (and break that out to eBay too) - to get an idea of where and who (demographics) buys.

I am afraid the origin of this post has been lost (it started with R2 and now is all about Revell...), but I find most of the conversation interesting.

thanks for the information. I'll bet half of us could figure that out just by what we see around us and on the boards. Everything I see is positive. I'm super happy that Revell and Moebius efforts are being rewarded. That can only mean that more good stuff is on the way!

Edited by Tom Geiger

I don't buy die casts (note the correct spelling). And I have much more than just half a brain.

Let's see...Both Franklin Mint and Danbury Mint say die-cast with a hyphen, though Danbury also says die cast.

Hot Wheels spells it diecast.

Webster's Dictionary says die-cast.

I guess it's open to interpretation.

Edited by sjordan2

Let's see...Both Franklin Mint and Danbury Mint say die-cast with a hyphen, though Danbury also says die cast.

Hot Wheels spells it diecast.

Webster's Dictionary says die-cast.

I guess it's open to interpretation.

Edited by Danno

Were all the faux box art pictures not posted by you on post #50, following this quote?:

That'll do me for this year, thank you.

The ones I want next year I'll post in September.

I am sorry, if you requested them I figured it would be reasonable to assume that you thought these would be good idea's to create the tooling for, then produce and market them. That was less than half a brain making a logical conclusion.
Edited by Blown03SVT