Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Cars of Rock 'n' Roll and Country Music

CorvairJim

got a little bit of work done on the monte

i primered the body

then applied some paint and did my first try of the "salt/baking soda" method

Give the painted area a scrubbing with a toothbrush and some rubbing alcohol. It will help thin that paint down some and reveal the undercoat and feather out the paint breaks. Also on the rust areas, brush on some matte clear, add a lil baking soda for texture (just a dusting really) on the wet clear and when dry color with some thinned rust colored paints, acrylic preferably.

On my build. Bed lowered. I think its just right now.

001-2.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

Eelco: That Monte looks awful... er... Great! Strange to think someone took a car that rough and actually welded in a new quarter panel, but I've seen MUCH stranger things done on 1:1 cars - I love it! Your rust on the hood looks good too. Just a thought: Do you think the paint that's left on the hood might be rubbed through a little where the bungee crosses over it, especially on the center crease and the edges of the raised center section?

Rob: Your flatbed sits absolutely right now! Not too high, not too low. If you can get your hands on some of those skinny wood coffee stir sticks from Starbucks, they should be great for the wood on the stake sides (You were planning stake sides, weren't you? I thought you had said so, but I don't recall for sure... B) )

anyone know a good technique for clumped up thick mud?

See my note to DIY concerning using baking soda for his rust. Just use a bit more and paint it mud color.

Yeah Jim, I'm doing stakesides. I have some of those, and if I can get the stain to match I'll use them. Good idea.

Edited by Jantrix

See my note to DIY concerning using baking soda for his rust. Just use a bit more and paint it mud color.

Yeah Jim, I'm doing stakesides. I have some of those, and if I can get the stain to match I'll use them. Good idea.

cheers mate. i picked up the bronco today. Jeez it's a big bodied beast! I also got some larger (outer wall only) offroad tyres from a childs excavator toy to put on there, very excited but progress will be slow as I'm up to my eyes in work needed to be done on my "four horsemen of the apocalypse" build

Plenty of time to do your thing, Aaron! I intentionally put up a l-o-n-g time to get the builds done, so you still have well over half a year to go. Hey, I haven't even gotten mine started yet, and this CBP was MY idea! (I have the Lindberg '64 Dodge 330 kit, I have the bright red paint, I even have the 1964 California license plates, but nothing's been done to bring it all together yet... )

Plenty of time to do your thing, Aaron! I intentionally put up a l-o-n-g time to get the builds done, so you still have well over half a year to go. Hey, I haven't even gotten mine started yet, and this CBP was MY idea! (I have the Lindberg '64 Dodge 330 kit, I have the bright red paint, I even have the 1964 California license plates, but nothing's been done to bring it all together yet... )

Cheers mate, mine will be done within a couple months as it's a fairly simple build. I've already raised the suspension a scale 6.5" and fitted the SS 427 Chev motor with supercharger, she looks so mean so far. Paint will be classic Bronco style, Blood red interior with Blue aftermarket bucket seats and a black exterior coverred in thick mud :)

Since my Bronco build is going so good I had a sweet idea.

For a second project to add to this build I'm going to build a ratrod / farm truck inspired by the song "Maggies Farm" by Rage Against the Machine.

What I want to achieve is a vehicle that looks as though it was made from spare parts found lying around "Maggies Farm" where this employee say for instance was ill treated and therefor needed a means to escape.

Updates soon :angry:

Since my Bronco build is going so good I had a sweet idea. For a second project to add to this build I'm going to build a ratrod / farm truck inspired by the song "Maggies Farm" by Rage Against the Machine.

Is the truck actually mentioned in the song? That's sort of the point on this CBP.

Some engine work. Just about ready to go. The engine is from the Revell 50 Ford F-1 except the air cleaner is from the AMT 49 Ford. I also scratched a fuel tank but it's not much to see, just a pen tube capped on the sides. I'm thinking a dark blue suede color for the body.

2011-05-18195031.jpg

2011-05-18195048.jpg

Rob: Aaron's song, "Hillbilly DeLuxe", mentions "Slick pick-em-up trucks". He's building his take on what one of them would be to him. To me, a Bronco without it's fiberglass roof section definitely looks enough like a pickup to qualify. Personally, I like the freedom that a vague mention like that would give the builder. I'm thinking of a second build if I manage to get the little old lady's car done in time - Springsteen's "Jungleland" mentions a "Barefoot girl on the hood of a Dodge". OK, we know it's a Dodge, but what else do we know about it? To me, it's always been a jacked-up Plum Crazy '70 Super Bee with side pipes riding on Cragar S/S rims. To someone else it might be a red '67 Charger, a black '73 Challenger, or maybe even a rusted-out olive green Dart.

To me, it's always been a jacked-up Plum Crazy '70 Super Bee with side pipes riding on Cragar S/S rims. To someone else it might be a red '67 Charger, a black '73 Challenger, or maybe even a rusted-out olive green Dart.

sounds like you got your next 4 builds lined up allready

Rob: Aaron's song, "Hillbilly DeLuxe", mentions "Slick pick-em-up trucks". He's building his take on what one of them would be to him. To me, a Bronco without it's fiberglass roof section definitely looks enough like a pickup to qualify.

I'd have to look back at the video again to be 100% sure, but I think there was even a Bronco or Blazer in the video.

No Eelco, but I do have the 'Bee up on the shelf already... There were a couple of others I had in mind too, but others are always welcome to jump on them before I do: A 1960 Impala convertible for the "'60 Chevy" from Bob Seger's "Night Moves" and the Beach Boys' "Surf City" '34 Ford Woodie wagon. Lots of scratchbuilding for the body on that one! :P

For a second project to add to this build I'm going to build a ratrod / farm truck inspired by the song "Maggies Farm" by Rage Against the Machine.

What I want to achieve is a vehicle that looks as though it was made from spare parts found lying around "Maggies Farm" where this employee say for instance was ill treated and therefor needed a means to escape.

Jim, I'm cool with the Bronco. The song mentions a truck and that's perfect. However the RAtM song Maggie's Farm, (a cover of Bob Dylan by the way) does not mention a vehicle of any sort. Any song can inspire a build, even My Ding-a-Ling by Chuck Berry. I was just pointing out that this CBP is for vehicles mentioned in songs of one sort or another. Or at least that was my understanding.

I must have missed where Aaron mentioned the "Maggie's Farm" build in his post. Sorry Aaron, but Rob is right: If the vehicle isn't mentioned in the song, it doesn't fly in this CBP. Now if you want to use this CBP and the song as your inspiration to build something for your own entertainment, well, I'm glad I gave you the seeds of the idea. But as for entering it in the CBP, sorry, no go.

I must have missed where Aaron mentioned the "Maggie's Farm" build in his post. Sorry Aaron, but Rob is right: If the vehicle isn't mentioned in the song, it doesn't fly in this CBP. Now if you want to use this CBP and the song as your inspiration to build something for your own entertainment, well, I'm glad I gave you the seeds of the idea. But as for entering it in the CBP, sorry, no go.

No worries matey. I'll post it elsewhere. Good news though is that both are coming along quite well.

I'm considerring orderring some parts from the parts box... hmm ideas!

I saw an episode of "Monster Garage" several years ago where Jese James got together a "Dream Team" of big name Old-School customizers, all of whom were at least in their 70's by that time, and they did a complete chop/channel/section/shave job on an early 50's Chevy 2-door sedan in just one week! I picked up a lot of pointers as to how it's supposed to be done from that show but I haven't tried to do it again since then.

Yes, that was one of the best Monster Garage episodes ever, the finished product was looking very good too. Once they also built one HD Chopper with "Dream Team" on motorbike builders, that was very good episode too. Here is a link to a picture of '54 Chevy, cool! I had that episode recorded to a digibox, but that one got broken and I lost that episode. :)

But anyway, here is a little update to my Mercury- build. I'm going to use Flathead V8 for this one, and I was unhappy about the manifolds, I found. They all were for one carburetor, and I wanted two carbs to this engine. Well, I took two normal manifolds and "bit" of sawing, shortening and gluing, now I have one intake manifold for two carburetors... Some test fitting to the engine, fits nicely. Engine is right now gloss black, but I will spray some white primer on it and then some red paint, otherwise, if I paint red right now, on the black, it will not look good. For the tires, I'm going to use Firestone whitewalls for this one.

P5250386.jpg

P5250387.jpg

P5250391.jpg

P5250393.jpg

Some putty to the manifold, and oil pan...

P5250394.jpg

P5250395.jpg

P5250396.jpg

P5250397.jpg

The sun was out today, so I painted some primer on the engine and intake manifold, what I modified for two carburetors. Those parts are looking pretty good now, and I'll be able to paint some red to them, maybe tomorrow. Let's see.

Moottoripohjamaalissa.jpg

Imusarjapohjamaalattu.jpg

"Holy jigsaw puzzle, Batman", er, Nico! I can tell you're into the theme of this thing, building what you see in your mind, and you just aren't satisfied with "Close Enough"! I don't know if I would have gone to that length just to add a carb, but if it means that much to you and you're willing to put the effort into your art, I applaud your effort. (Of course, I'm the guy who's completely rearranging the cooling fan system for a Yenko Stinger Corvair in the Vintage Racing CBP, and building a 6-71 blown Corvair engine for a different model, a Corvair Gasser, in that same CBP... :D )

Thank you, Jim! I painted the engine now with red. Cylinder heads and intake manifold are painted too, they are looking alright for me. Now, I must strip the paint off from chassis plate, then I can start building the chassis also. Interior is going to be painted with light colors.

P5270483.jpg

P5270484.jpg

P5270485.jpg

P5270486.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my progress so far:

SAM_0380.jpg

Shes an '80 Bronco with a Chevrolet 427 Blown Big Block and Tom Daniels Intake. Tyres and wheels are from a kids toy. I like how it's turning out so far. Not much in the way of painting as yet as it's winter over here at the moment :(