Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's hear it ILLINOIS modelers

Monte's Motors

Born in Chicago and lived across from Midway Airport. Grew up mostly in Oak Lawn. Moved to California and 5 years ago to Arizona. Chicago had the best food. Pizza in California and Arizona sucks for the most part. My favorite hobby shop was called "Trost Hobby Shop " and if my memory serves it was on 63 rd. st. Any chance it is sitll there ?

Closed many years ago (2006?).

Yeah Trost was a good place and they were also a distributor for other hobby shops. I was a "Northsider" back then so I only got to Trost a couple of times. Many great hobby shops from "back in the day" which were the 60's for me have bit the dust as times have been changin' for quite awhile now.

• 2 weeks later...

LOTS of cars shows & cruise nights going on guys. So get out your cameras and get some great pics for building projects and reference photos. Enjoy the sun, cars , and girls while you can because YOU know how it's going to be come Dec.- March. Besides, life is short so enjoy it!

• 1 month later...

Any of you "old-timers" remember Skip's Fiesta Drive In on First and North Ave. back in the 60's? That was one AWESOME place where they used to take cars like rails off the trailer and drag raced them down North Avenue. Lots of "street fighters" hung out there and picked up some "stoplight drag racing" action from that place.

• 5 weeks later...

I remember Riverview, my parents took me there when I was just a little kid. My high school is right next to where Riverview was... if you were in a room on the south side of the school you could see right into Riverview... it was literally right next door.

riverview.jpg

BTW... I just got in from shoveling about half a foot of snow. All of you guys east of me... coming your way! :P

Wow ! Riverview ! Theres a blast from the past. I was born in Chicago and went to Riverview several times as a child. The one ride that scared me was called the 'Wild Mouse" if I remember correctly. That ride had a overhang in front and I swore it would never make the sharp turns. Moved to a suburb called "Oak Lawn ". It was a nice place to live. Then moved to California and then Arizona. Sure had much better food in Illinois.

Politics in Illinos/Chicago? Total crap.

Food? Well, we have "Chicago-style" pizza (mmmmmmmmmm!)... Chicago-style hot dogs (no ketchup! Ever!)... roast beef "sammiches".... and on and on. Yep, we got it goin' on food-wise, but the laughing stock of the country when it comes to political corruption, dirty deals, payoffs, bribes, and general sleaze. :(

I probably miss the food the most. The pizza, Browns Fried Chicken, Roast beef and roast beef and sausage sandwiches, hot dogs. ( sorry, I put ketchup on mine ) White Castles at 2 am, some great fish and chip places. True you can get some of this stuff elsewhere but I myself never had any better than what I had back there.

I don't think that it's possible to find pizza, hot dogs, Italian beef and also combo sandwhiches better than here in the Chicagoland area. I've been eating that stuff for many years and it sure tastes good even though it may not be good for you. Of coursr a person can eat healthy or eat junk and the bottom line is that they're still going to die eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

Politics in Illinos/Chicago? Total ######.

Food? Well, we have "Chicago-style" pizza (mmmmmmmmmm!)... Chicago-style hot dogs (no ketchup! Ever!)... roast beef "sammiches".... and on and on. Yep, we got it goin' on food-wise, but the laughing stock of the country when it comes to political corruption, dirty deals, payoffs, bribes, and general sleaze. :(

No argument here Harry! I look forward to the trips back just for the food, to heck with seeing family and friends! :D To me, a Chicago dog can only be had in Chicago, and the same can be said for a Portillo's beef sammich, Gino's East deep dish pizza, Eli's Cheesecake, the list goes on and on!

Politics?, Naw, we ain't gonna talk about that! :rolleyes: I do love the quote I saw not too long ago about Illinois' new state motto- "Illinois, where our ex-governors make our plates!"

• 2 weeks later...

Grew up in Oswego. Living in Yorkville. Great memories of our farm and working on model cars in the enclosed back patio with the windows open and WLS on the am radio. Also of going to Oswego drag strip before it closed down.

Grew up in Oswego. Living in Yorkville. Great memories of our farm and working on model cars in the enclosed back patio with the windows open and WLS on the am radio. Also of going to Oswego drag strip before it closed down.

WLS was great and I spent time at Union Grove (Great Lakes Dragaway) and also Rockford Dragway back in the 60's.