Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 CADILLAC ELDORADO - - IMEX KIT

Ramfins59

OK, I'm correcting what I posted above. My daughter woke up as I finished posting, and the warm sun was still shining. I was able to paint the body (YEAY...!!) and it came out great. I'll give it time to gas out and then I'll probably clearcoat it tomorrow. .

Thank you David and John. John, I'm glad I can inspire you. If YOU could spend 4 or 5 hours each day at YOUR workbench, you'd probably be like a machine too..!!

David, I pulled out the T-Bird kit and I'm not thrilled with the opening doors on it. I think I'll just glue the doors shut as it's a convertible anyway. I misplaced the instructions, but I'm sure I can get the model together without them. I also must have robbed the whitewall tires for another build somewhere along the line so I'll have to search through my stash for replacements. Here I go again with another project. I think I need a vacation... LOL.

A little bit of a setback on this project. I painted the body parts and the paint came out great. However, I noticed that when I sanded off the mold lines on the body,I was a little too aggressive on the tops of the fenders just above the headlights, in front of the fender trim spears. I sanded a bit of a depression into the fenders and it is very noticeable. Both my wife and daughter noticed it, and they feel, as I do, that with all the nice detail work that I put into the interior and the engine compartment, that I should fix it. That means stripping the paint, filling in the dips, sanding it smooth, repriming and repainting... Grrrrrrr..!! U didn't notice it earlier because the plastic is white and I shot it with white primer. Once I hit it with the Gold paint, it stood out like a sore thumb. Ahhh the joys of modeling..!!

In the meantime, yesterday I added one more detail of a windshield washer reservoir and line in the engine compartment. Now there's no more room for anything else in there, yet it all still looks neat and clean. I also added Caddy crest decals to the center of the hubcaps and then covered them with clear epoxy. I also added valve stems and sanded the tire treads.

Yes David and John, I DO hate when stuff like this happens, and it REALLY blows cause I was on a great roll with this model..!! The "joys" of the hobby right..?? The Caddy is sitting in the stripper at the moment.

John, I just can't get into working on either the T-Bird or the Vette. For some odd reason neither kit does anything for me. I know they are '58 cars, but I'm just not into them at the moment. Maybe that will change when I'm fully done with the Caddy... I don't know. Maybe I just need a little break since I've been on such a building streak for the past few months. I'll be picking up a '58 Olds resin kit at the NNL East that I pre-ordered from The Modelhaus. I'm sure that will get the juices flowing again, but I won't be starting in on that until probably sometime towards the end of May. I'll be going down to NC from the NNL to visit with Tom V. and his family for a few weeks. Then on May 12th our family is taking my grandson to Disneyworld for his birthday. I'm hoping that he won't be too overwhelmed by it all since he is only turning 2. From there I'll be going back to NC for another visit and then back home to PA. I'm sure that after all that travelling and running around I'll be more than happy to get back to my nice, quiet workbench.

Thanks for the "consoling" words everyone. The paint is stripped and today I will fill in the dips with some bondo. I'll do my best not to "oversand" this time.

While the body was in the stripper I pulled out my "Nemesis" model that had given me nothing but trouble, and decided to finally "win the fight" and get it assembled. It is a '57 Chevy model that has sat, almost completed, back in its box, for the past 6 or 7 years. I'll get a thread going on it in Under Glass later today.

Anne, you cracked me up with your comment.

Edited by Ramfins59

Just a quick update note. I stripped the paint and filled in the dips in the fenders with bondo and sanded it all smooth and level. Now we're getting snow again..!! Worst case, I'll have to wait for the coming weekend to repaint it as we're supposed to be getting nice 50+ degree weather... YEAY..!!

I SO want to finish up this model...!!!