Model Cars Magazine Forum

Should I prime all the pieces to my model kit?

It's been a while since I've made a car model, decided to pick up a Tamiya model kit. (A Skyline R32 to be specific)

I plan to spray the body with Tamiya primer and probably color it with spray enamel.

But my question is more along the lines of all of the other small pieces; I plan to handbrush them with enamels, is it recommended to prime all of these pieces before painting? All of the pieces are molded in flat black, if that makes any difference.)

Edited by Lightsunglasses

If all the pieces are flat black then yes, priming all the pieces will make it easier to paint other colors on them. Priming will help with paint adhesion, plastic flash cleanup, and mold imperfections, so as a rule of thumb it probably should always be done at the outset, no matter what color it's molded in. The reasons most people DON'T prime their parts...

1: don't want to waste money on good primer unless it's for the main body or interior...

2: don't want to waste the time priming parts, just wanting to build the model quickly/simply...

3: too lazy to do it (usually MY excuse...)

Hope this helps.

I don't normally prime parts I'm going to brush paint but since in this case they're molded in black I can see why it would be a good idea. For that purpose I would use something cheap like Walmart flat gray, there's no sense in using an expensive primer when you're brushing over it.

on small detail parts ive started using rustoleum 2x, its a paint and a primer, the finish isnt 100% but aslong as you give the car a light weathering it looks great, and you get to be lazy with only one coat of paint

Thanks, I think I will go ahead and spray a light layer of prime on all the pieces while they are still attached to the sprues.

I have also noticed that this came with a clear hood; I have never seen this before. Is this for those that wish to be able to see the engine while displayed?

Yes, so they look like something other than the plastic they are made of. Also primer gives you a guide to what the cleanup and any work done to the part look like I am amazed how many times I found defects only after priming.

• 2 weeks later...

On the other hand, no brush painting will ever look as good as something spray painted. Save the brushes for detailing and just get some inexpensive sprays at Walmart.

Amen. I brush paint very little. Mainly to add a second color to a small part or to touch up a part previously sprayed.

I don't paint any parts still on trees. Every part has mold lines that should be cleaned up, as well as the point where it was separated from the tree. I go over each part, take care of those small imperfections prior to painting.

I spray everything. As Jantrix said, there are cheap paints available. I've also used the Walmart flat black for small parts. In fact I buy every cheap brand flat black, gray primer etc since they all have different tones to them that will add interest to my model. I think I have at least a dozen grays that I use for detailing, interiors etc.

To paint these loose parts you can tape them to styrofoam blocks, the ones you get as packing material in electronics etc. Just spread a piece of masking tape, face up across a styro block and fold over the edges like a loop to tape it to the block. Then just place your parts across the tape. Once dry, you may need to do the same for the other side. Easy.

I also mount small parts on tooth picks and then stick them in to the styrofoam blocks. I have even drilled small holes into my parts where they won't be seen on final assembly, then stick that on a tooth pick for painting.

Spray painting these small parts will make your model look much nicer. Brush painting puts on a much thicker coat of paint, with brush marks.

Unless you have had to do some body work, why prime? I have models that are 20 years old and have great looking paint jobs and I never primed them. If the paint is made to work on plastic, all priming does is "fill in" part details.