Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Tinkered a little bit tonight with making new flanges for the Radius Rods to attach to the frame. Going to cut and sand off the existing mounts next, the tabs that stand vertical on the chassis. I know these pics don't show much work done but I am making progress little by little :lol:

DPArmyVega0441-vi.jpg

Once I get the tabs glued on to the frame I will be modifiying the mounts for the radius rod onto the front axle

DPArmyVega0481-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

few more pics....

Removed the Tabs from the chassis:

DPArmyVega0521-vi.jpg

My make shift jig...using my drill bit box to hold the parts up... :lol:what can I say it with the right height :lol:

DPArmyVega0571-vi.jpg

Glued:

DPArmyVega0631-vi.jpg

Going to leave like this over night so the glue will cure, then will remove the Radius Rods and add some more glue and supports to the inside of the tabs for a little more strength:

DPArmyVega0651-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Thanks for the props guys. I am having a blast putting this kit together.

Charlie I am working on the rear end mod that I mentioned to you.

Derrick....Glad you understand the work that goes in to this. It feels like it isn't much progress but in the end it is making good progess. But you are right Lots of hours go into this. I will have to add the hours up and see what my total is so far since I started this build. I am kind of funny for keeping a time card on this build, I wanted to see how many hours I will have into it once its completed.

you know I thought about posting this in big boyz and wasnt sure which to go with and thought there was more traffic in the drag racing section :lol: . If the mods need to move it there, they are more than welcome too. :D

Ben... thanks man. you know I have been debating on going a few different routes for the engine. Now with this aurora Donovan engine you are talking about is it the same as the Competition resins 417 Donovan Kit? I have been wanting to pick one of them up. Actutally just took a look at it again and its got the valve covers I am wanting for this build.

Caine... Thanks man.... I am planning on working on it this weekend and hopefully have more pics to share with everyone. I have been finishing up decaling a Super Comp Altered build tonight and should be squirting some paint on my 1/16th FED project.

Chris, I don't think you will be disappointed, it's a nice engine. I've had mine for a few years now, (haven't put it together yet, but I will!), if you ever get a 1/16 Ford F/C (you can get a Mustang from Competition Resins, I got one from Greg Fox awhile back)there's a real nice 427 SOHC from a resin company ( I think it's Alterd States but I'm not sure), you can get it with either a blower or injected.

Just checked my sources & Alterd States is the company that makes the Ford 427 Cammer I mentioned above. Part #'s AS03-001 is the blown motor & AS02-002 is the injected, both list for $38.00 + shipping (I'm sure). This is also a excellent motor.

Thanks for the information Richard. I really appreciate it and I will check those companies out. Just noticed that you are in Tuscon. will you be making it up for the Desert Scale Classic on April 16th in Phoenix??. I picked up a more modern engine from Flashpoint which was going to be for another build and I have some parts from Competition Resin. They are really nicely done resin kits.

wish I could, but I'm unemployed at the moment, little money, & no way to get there. Have never been to a model car show, been to a few 1:1 car shows back when I lived in Fl. (got to see the '58 Plymouth Fury Christine at one show, really nice car!). Hope to be able to make it to some shows soon but we'll have to see how things work out.

wish I could, but I'm unemployed at the moment, little money, & no way to get there. Have never been to a model car show, been to a few 1:1 car shows back when I lived in Fl. (got to see the '58 Plymouth Fury Christine at one show, really nice car!). Hope to be able to make it to some shows soon but we'll have to see how things work out.

Mark Johnson makes a 426 resin engine that is the same size(more correct) as the Aurora stuff. You can contact him at mjaafd@msn.com

Mike Garland

Richard, I am sorry hear that about the job. I feel your pain about being umemployed. I myself got laid off the beginning of january this year and just started some contract work 2 weeks ago. I am really keeping my fingers crossed that this rolls into a full time position with this company. I went thru this same thing in December of 2009 being let go the 5th round of layoffs after I was with an aerospace company for 5 years. Its definitely tuff out there with the job market.

Mike. Thanks man I will have to email Mark Johnson to see if he can send me pics of the engine and cost for them.

ok I haven't done a whole lot on this kit since my focus has been on decaling my super comp altered and getting my 1/16 FED painted this past week. anyway I decided to add a little more detail to the kits rear end from a pic that I found that the aurora kits were based from.

DPArmyVega0731-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, Did a little work tonight on the front end. Things have been a little crazy with work the past few weeks and haven't had much time to work on any builds. Felt good to put a few hours in tonight on this project. Here are some pics of what I accomplished tonight. Thanks for looking....

I drew some designs on my CAD program, printed out on paper, cut and glued part of the drawing to the styrene using white glue. Then I cut and sanded to the shape I drew and when done took the template off that I made:

DPArmyVega0761-vi.jpg

All the parts once I had them cut out:

DPArmyVega0851-vi.jpg

Gluing plastic inbetween the parts that I made:

DPArmyVega0881-vi.jpg

As far as I got tonight with them, Tomorrow I will go back and sand the middle portion of these brackets down. Once I am done with that I will remove the existing mounting points for the radius rod and then will glue the new ones I made to the front axle:

DPArmyVega0911-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Mark Johnson makes a 426 resin engine that is the same size(more correct) as the Aurora stuff. You can contact him at mjaafd@msn.com

Mike Garland

Hey Mike.... do you know if Mark Johnson has changed his email address?? I have tried sending two emails to him and they keep getting bounced back. Is he on the Message board here, if so what is his screen name and I will contact him here. Thanks

Edited by Mooneyzs