Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP 1/16 70.5 Camaro ProMod

stump

Hey guys, this may be slow going at first, but hoping things hot up real quick. :)

I've only titled it as a "ProMod" so far, as I'm not sure yet whether to go full ADRL rules, or one which would compete and be legal down here..

Body is from Terry @ Flashpoint Motor Sports, slicks, rims, chutes as well, motor come from eBay (Paul Rowe)..

After studying Barts awesome build progress, I have (and will be) following a lot of his fabulous ground work. If you see a few ideas/concepts show up

that might look familiar to some of your own work, that will be because I'm drawing ideas from ALL the great builds I've seen right here @ MCM.

So much greatness within this group, it's just so inspiring to be able to follow and share.

This will most likely get interrupted once in a while by the 1/12 build......we can only hope so, :P

Ok, slow start.........Body first. As delivered.....

DSCF7330-vi.jpg

Initial cuts..........Man, this was tougher than I thought it'd be. :wacko:

DSCF8169-vi.jpg

DSCF8156-vi.jpg

DSCF8168-vi.jpg

I'm onto my second draft of plans, the first were a bit skewed.....guess you get that when you download free stuff. :lol:

Blocks are glued in place to help alignment this time. Lesson learned.

DSCF8167-vi.jpg

Continues......

Tyres are HUGE ! From Terry @ Flashpoint.

DSCF7336-vi.jpg

Fabricated 11inch rear housing

DSCF7337-vi.jpg

This is the awesome motor from Paul. BAE 521 "blown". They show up on eBay every so often....Keep an eye open in the 1/16 search. ;)

NOT cheap, but well worth it IMHO. Cast in "Bondo" and are almost bubble free....+ a choice of scoops.

As delivered, all packed in foam, inside a ziplock bag. Even has decals included for dash, batteries and MSD.

DSCF8163-vi.jpg

Barrel valve and oil pump are old Revell items....

DSCF8144-vi.jpg

The small stuff.....

DSCF8160-vi.jpg

And molded leads/plug tops and a belt.....

DSCF8164-vi.jpg

EDIT:

Almost forgot....have some of DirtModelers awesome parts on the way. 4-links, engine brackets, tab set and a seat. Thanks Michael.

Stay tuned.....more to follow this weekend.

Cheers and thanks for stopping by

Greg

Edited by stump

This is going to be another amazing build, I'll be following for sure. I have always liked '70 Camaro ProMod body, it looks mean and agressive from the front. Engine set looks good too. Can't wait to see more, your building skills are awesome.

OH NO YOU DIDNT JUST STEP OVER INTO 1/16TH AREA !!!! :blink: LOL! Just kidding of course. I knew you would come over to the dark side soon enough. And I know your gonna do an AWESOME job with those goodies on your bench. I cant wait to see where you go with this. Think Imgonna kick back and soak it all in. B)

Haha :D Yeah, you knew it was gonna happen sooner or later Rom. ;)

PM sent back atya buddy. :)

More bars added, plus I've started "honing" or hogging....out the body interior. :blink:

That sounds kinda weird I know, but these things are t h i c k ................ :( and I want the cage to tuck up inside nice and neat. :)

Should make it a good deal lighter as well. :lol:

I realize Terry had to make them thick to help hold their shape, but a little thinning won't hurt none. ;)

Pics tomorrow with luck......

Greg.... It's great to see you playing with a 1/16th build like the rest of us. Although I love the 1/12th scale Camaro Pro Mod. Seeing what you can do with the 1/12th scale stuff.... I can't wait to see what you do with the 1/16th. You are one heck of a builder and you do some fantastic work. The only problem I see with this is that with another 1/16th Pro Mod build it is making me want to start mine before I am even done with my funny car build....lol :lol: I will be following this one for sure!! Looking forward to more progress on this.

Cheers!!

oh yea PS... send you a PM

Edited by Mooneyzs

Many thanks Chris. :)

Hey, you know.....you, along with all the other great builders (and builds) are solely responsible for my turning to 1/16. :):P

Just watching you guys work has me sitting (drooling) in awe.......I don't wish to single anyone out, cause I think we're ALL doing fabulous work. B)

And NO !....................................You can NOT start your 1/16 ProMod just yet. :lol:

Kidding of course mate, as I don't want to distract you away from your amazing Funnycar build. B);)

Thanks Jim, Wayne, Richard and Kane. :)

Small update........weather has gone down the tube here today, so haven't been able to get out and tear into the body work. :(

So small bits of chassis and engine work have had to keep me occupied....

First off, the motor needed to be drilled right through...even the Lenco. This Bondo is tougher than I thought. :lol:

DSCF8174-vi.jpg

Found an old F/car seat which I have started to re-shape.

DSCF8178-vi.jpg

Test fitting the motor. Front motor plate is only for mock up purposes....

DSCF8184-vi.jpg

Added several more bars in place (as seen above), and started to think about mounting points....yeah, getting them in early. Thanks to Clay's

great build on his 'Stang, I have learned to plan ahead this time. ;)

Pedal assembly started.

DSCF8186-vi.jpg

DSCF8187-vi.jpg

And a shot just resting in place. I need to make and mount the end locators before I go too much farther.

DSCF8189-vi.jpg

Working on the locator points now, along with some more bar work.....

Will try another update later if I can get enough done.

Thanks for stopping by, and hope you like so far guys.

cheers

Greg

Hey, thanks Tyrone and Bart. :)

Bart, yeah, I actually have Paul's email onboard too, but finding names in this stupid Outlook is ridiculous... :angry: I think Rom is onto it. ;)

Well, this is just a refresher update related to this morning. Didn't get as much done as I'd hoped, but it's some....

Clutch linkage, pedal box to can. Small brackets are flattened 1/16 tube and an old 1/24 plug wire loom.....RBMotion fittings.

Large diameter aluminium tube is just a "dummy" for mock up

DSCF8190-vi.jpg

DSCF8191-vi.jpg

Clutch and brake assembly almost complete. I'll add some kool tabs from Dirtmodelers set when they arrive, much the same as what Clay has done. B)

Finally got to use my new iron....had it well over 6 months. :lol: Forgot how much fun soldering was. :huh:

DSCF8192-vi.jpg

DSCF8193-vi.jpg

DSCF8194-vi.jpg

That's it for today, sorry guys. Will see how much I can push through this week......

Thanks for checkin' in, and please, throw any questions or critique this way.

cheers

Greg

Dang Greg! Look at you go! I think dropping down to 1/16 is just what you needed to get motivated again. My method was to basically think inside out. I wanted to get everything from the center out done first so I could get to it. Now as I get further along, and more of the interior stuff done, i can add more bars and close things up.

You're off to a flying start!

Greg.... Nice Progress Mate.... The chassis is looking great! The clutch linkage looks awesome. I do have to ask you are you drilling out the rod end so you can slip the tub into it. I think it looks great that way. Keep up your awesome work. Cheers!