Model Cars Magazine Forum

Touchy, Touchy Terms

Chrysler markets their divisions as their own brands, so the correct term would be "Jeep Wrangler" or "Jeep Whatever," not "Chrysler Jeep Whatever." After all, you don't call a Dodge Charger a "Chrysler Dodge Charger."

I suppose that a Chrysler Jeep makes sense if you are refering to a CJ manufactured by Chrysler corp to distinguish it from other CJ series vehicles. Through out the years there were Bantum Jeeps, Overland Jeeps, Willys Jeeps and I believe AMC Jeeps or more correctly CJ series general purpose vehicles, thus a Chrysler CJ or "Jeep" may be correct. In reality only Chrysler had a trademark on the word "Jeep" though it had been in general use since WWII. I will never understand how they got a trademark for it.

Who knows? Maybe they were the only ones to actually apply for the TM?

The brand has gone through many owners, starting with Willys, which produced the first Civilian Jeep (CJ) in 1945 and who were the first granted the trademark in 1950. Willys was sold to Kaiser Motors in 1953, which became Kaiser-Jeep in 1963. American Motors Corporation (AMC) purchased Kaiser's money-losing Jeep operations in 1970. The utility vehicles complemented AMC's passenger car business by sharing components, achieving volume efficiencies, as well as capitalizing on Jeep's international and government markets.

The French automaker Renault began investing in AMC in 1979. However, by 1987, the automobile markets had changed and even Renault itself was experiencing financial troubles. At the same time, Chrysler Corporation wanted to capture the Jeep brand, as well as other assets of AMC. Chrysler bought out AMC in 1987, shortly after the Jeep CJ-7 was replaced with the AMC-designedJeep Wrangler or YJ. Chrysler merged with Daimler-Benz in 1998 to form DaimlerChrysler. DaimlerChrysler eventually sold most of their interest in Chrysler to a private equity company in 2007. Chrysler and the Jeep division now operate under the name Chrysler Group LLC.

Jeeps have been built under licence by various manufacturers around the world including Mahindra in India, EBRO in Spain, and several in South America. Mitsubishi built more than 30 different Jeep models in Japan between 1953 and 1998. Most of them were based on the CJ-3B model of the original Willys-Kaiser design.

Toledo, Ohio has been the headquarters of the Jeep marque since its inception, and the city has always been proud of this heritage. Although no longer produced in the same Toledo Complexas the World War II originals, two streets in the vicinity of the old plant are named Willys Parkway and Jeep Parkway.

American Motors set up the first automobile-manufacturing joint venture in the People's Republic of China on January 15, 1984. The result was Beijing Jeep Corporation, Ltd., in partnership with Beijing Automobile Industry Corporation, to produce the Jeep Cherokee (XJ) in Beijing. Manufacture continued after Chrysler's buyout of AMC. This joint venture is now part of DaimlerChrysler and DaimlerChrysler China Invest Corporation. The original 1984 XJ model was updated and called the "Jeep 2500" toward the end of its production that ended after 2005.

A division of Chrysler Group LLC, the most recent successor company to the Jeep brand, now holds trademark status on the name "Jeep" and the distinctive 7-slot front grille design. The original 9-slot grille associated with all World War II jeeps was designed by Ford for their GPW, and because it weighed less than the original "Slat Grille" of Willys (an arrangement of flat bars), was incorporated into the "standardized jeep" design.

Mich. Madman, you are not totally right. as I see it. Chrysler Jeep would be correct as the vehicle is made by Chrysler LLC there for Chrysler Jeep correct? And so on and so Like the car made by Ford Motor car Co.

Linclon & Mercury.

But

I do agree with Chevy GMC, it would be GM Chevy and GM GMC

And yes Nascar did race stock cars at one time, Like the Road Runners, SuperBirds, Daytona, Ford Torinos were all stock cars taken from the production line and made into stock cars by Ray Nicoles, The Pettys and Holmen & Moody were the car builders. Had to change to what we have now because the car couldn't take the crash damage and save the drivers.

Chrysler markets their divisions as their own brands, so the correct term would be "Jeep Wrangler" or "Jeep Whatever," not "Chrysler Jeep Whatever." After all, you don't call a Dodge Charger a "Chrysler Dodge Charger."

What Harry said. Next time you are at the parts store ask the counterman for a part for your 2004 Ford Lincoln and see what happens. :)

In reality only Chrysler had a trademark on the word "Jeep" though it had been in general use since WWII. I will never understand how they got a trademark for it.

Well, Apple trademarked rectangles with rounded corners, so anything's possible...

'Subtle' pronounced "sub-tul" or written "suttel". My apoplectic apologies should this be a repeat.

Also, unnecessary and semi-nonsensical alliteration drives me nut nut nuttily nuts.

------------------

EDIT: I just remembered two of my very favorites. An old self-proclaimed car-expert acquaintance of mine endlessly referred to the "torque to ground ratio". Huh? Obviously he had little actual acquaintance with physics or engineering.

Another great one was the description in one of the major sporty-car magazines of the 300ZX front suspension design as "multiple levers and rods". Impressive grasp of the technology, eh?

(This one makes 3) And the term 'wheelbase' used to mean 'track' or 'track-width'. There. So glad I got those of my chest.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Also, unnecessary and semi-nonsensical alliteration drives me nut nut nuttily nuts.

Hmmm... unnecessary alliteration? :blink: I've never noticed any of that nonsense here.

Oh well... I wouldn't get too worked up or waste any time worrying about weird word usage...

I commend your excellent use of ellipsis.

I await with anticipation your use of the tilde. B)

Not with bated breath, I hope. I believe I went out with Señorita Tilde many years ago. Alas. Quite a lass. :(

On a day (alack the day)

Love, whose month is ever May,

Spied a blossom passing fair

Playing in the wanton air. - Love's Labour's Lost - Shakespeare

Edited by Ace-Garageguy