Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can anyone recommend a truly "FLAT" enamel paint?

After 26 years of using testors flat enamels they no longer do it for me and come out looking semi gloss the majority of the time. Can anyone recommend a truly "flat" enamel paint? I'm talking about chalkboard surface flat. I'm thinking I should get away from Testor enamels completely and move over to model master bottles. Is there something better that I should look into? I want something that lays down thin by brush and airbrush requiring minimal coverage and leaving no brush strokes behind when hand painting.

No I can't, as most flat blacks that I used must have been flat enough to my eye. If I were looking for one I would look at a craft store line of paint for ceramics . There are a lot of newer names in the paint industry and they might have something. e.g. MIG, Valleyo etc. Interesting to note is that Tamiya in their acrylic line does not list a flat black, and offer a flat additive to use with their gloss & semi-gloss black. HTH

Alright so out of curiosity I wanted to do a test using model master flat black and testors's smaller bottle of flat black. I purchased a badger paint mixture which I have wanted for quite some time,it is an absolute must have!!!! I mixed both bottles thoroughly for the same amount of time each and found that the smaller testors bottle had a flatter sheen than the larger model master. Also, I found that the airbrushing these lays down a much flatter sheen than bristle brush. It looks like I am sticking with the paint that I had originally grown to hate. Now with a mixer and air I have no reason to not use it.

I used talc powder mixed into my paints to make them appear flat. Only takes a little, or otherwise you will have to thin more.

I second this! It's an old trick some of us older modelers used back decades ago before Testors and Pactra brought out flat black paint--good old baby powder (which Mom still had a can of in the bathroom from years before when she used it on me. It only takes a small amount of talcum powder to flatten enamel paint colors, and yes, particularly if airbrushing it, you will need to use a tad more thinner--but it does work (even smells nice too! ;) )

Art

I second this! It's an old trick some of us older modelers used back decades ago before Testors and Pactra brought out flat black paint--good old baby powder (which Mom still had a can of in the bathroom from years before when she used it on me. It only takes a small amount of talcum powder to flatten enamel paint colors, and yes, particularly if airbrushing it, you will need to use a tad more thinner--but it does work (even smells nice too! ;) )

Art

Thanks for backing me up on this Art. I purposely left out the smelling nice part, so others may find that out for themselves.