Model Cars Magazine Forum

2005-2010 Mustang

martinfan5

Stephen, good looking haul, man. If I can be of any help, just ask (well, you know that from the FOX/SN95 threads). I too have a few SNs I need to get finished.

Mike, liking the GT500 and what you are doing with it!

I confess to having several S197s going; I started a Bullitt conversion to a 2006 kit even before the 08' Bullitt was released, an 08' bullitt with a swapped GT500 drivetrain, a 2010 GT with a swapped GT500 powertrain, and now the 2010 GT500. Guess I might want to get moving on those too, huh? (along with my 40 FOXes and the 4-5 SN95s!)

LOL,you're as bad as I am,Bradley! :P I'm HORRIBLE at getting going on something,then something new and shiny (figuratively speaking) catches my eye and then.... :lol:

Question,I see on that link to Scale Dreams (I think I've bought some detail items there in the past,BTW,good place) that they have several different sizes in Pegasus tires. Is the 225/45/18" version the end-all-be-all replacements for the lot of these kits? If not,anybody have a list of which tires fits which kit's stock wheels? I'm probaly going for a series of factory stocks (or as close as my skill allows,anyways) for my first build through each (excepting the '06 GT,I've already built one back in '06 ;) ).

Also,my memory isn't good enough to recall and my stash of Scale Auto mag (as well as Model Cars) was pretty much wiped by the fire dept when they doused the house to put out the fire...I remember there being an article on the GT500KR buildup,and in it tey gave a good example on lowering these cars to a more accurate (or lower) stance. So what would be a fairly repeatable\simple technique (from the article or your own experience)?

Thanks,guys. I still have to clear the WIP of at least one before I get going,but that will happen I promise :P

Edited by Olskoolrodder

Stephen the method I use to lower these cars is pretty simple. Up front ya remove the rounded nubs the K member attaches too down to the arm that supports the motor. This raises the k member and such up closer to the engine and lowers the car. Then ya simply cut the strut to the new height and put it in. Works great since the wheels attach to the K. Out back ya simply cut the rear springs on the axle. Now is where it gets tricky. Theres a piece just above the diff that gets in the way. I grind that piece out. Then ya just gotta clearance the area around the drive shaft a bit. When i get home this evening I'll look i think i already started modding a chassis so I'll take a pic of the critical areas. Another trick i do go help these cars is on the GTs i replace the kit tires with tires from an AMT 05 Chrysler 300.

I remember reading that the tires from the (AMT) Fast and Furious Supra (all varients) fit those wheels too,food for thought (I have one set of those unmelted...I had bought 3 of those kits previously just for those tires-was going to let my son build the cars-but most of em melted,LOL!). I'll use those on the first one I build,and get Santa (ie: my wife) to spring for a few sets of those Pegasus ones for Christmas.

Rick,it would be awesome (and very much appreciated) to see pics of what you're talking about...I'm sure I'll 'get it' when it's in front of me,but it will be a week or three before I get to it. If you could get those up here,they might help someone else as well.

Let me go into my Photobucket,see if any pics are saved of my build from '06 (was my second buildafter getting 'back into' building). I had buttloads of build and WIP pics of my builds on the old PC,but (do I need to say it?) it melted in the fire,LOL!

Edited by Olskoolrodder

Ahhh yes,here they are-they ARE in the P-Bucket. It was build completely box stock,and was actually the first kit sold (of the run) when first released at my LHS from then,LOL!

06GT1.jpg

06GT2.jpg

Revell2006MustangGT4.jpg

Revell2006MustangGT5.jpg

It's still in piece,but pretty much gone never-the-less,melted jst enough to be obvious. S'alright though,I have another to build and I'll do it better ;)

Sorry for the funky sized pics,it's what's in the album apparently :P

Edited by Olskoolrodder

Stephen, the tires you have listed (225/45-18) are the ones that most guys use to replace the kit tires. Also, for a SERIOUSLY thin sidewall, I will use the 19" Ultra Low Profile tires and stretch them to fit the various rims. Nice '06 BumbleBee GT by the way.

The article showed taking 1/16th" off both the front and rear springs to lower the car an appropriate amount.

Jonathan, thanks for showing us what you did for the ride height. Rick has a good way to do it as well!

Thanks for the pics,makes mch more sense seeing it then picturing it in my head :),and thanks for the props on the Bumblebee :D

The kit that got me back into building was the Revell '49 Merc kit when first released (see my username,LOL),but the Mustang made it stick.

Flocking looks good!

I was surfing eBay a few minutes ago,and saw an old friend had been making some new resin bits since last I chatted with him,so used my ebay bucks and scored one of these hoods for like,$4.99 or so shipped,LOL!

LexMustangHood1.jpg

LexMustangHood2.jpg

LexMustangHood3.jpg

Lex's Scale Model Supplies. Sorry I no longer havethe link (was on my old PC),but I've known and bought fromhim for a few years now,he's a good cat to deal with.

I'm thinking for whenever I get around to buildig that '06 GT (not saying it will be next :P )...

Sorry I didn't get the pics last night was dead tired after fighting mean thunderstorms and OKC rush hour traffic at the same time last night. The pics above do show what I meant in the rear. Bradley simply cutting the coils won't work on these. The above pictured part is in the way out back and up front the coil spring is just there for show as the wheels actually attach to the K member piece and not the strut

] Here is how I lower my '05 and up Mustangs. I take the rotors and remove part of the mounting ring from the back where it mounts to the suspension.

GTH23.jpg

GTH24.jpg

Determine how low you want to lower your Mustang by placing a few index or business cards under the chassis. When you decide where your height will be, mount the rotors to the suspension. Then you can mount the wheels to the rotors with plastic rod or drill into the rotor center with a drill bit slightly smaller than the wheel mounting pins.

GT500KR21.jpg

If you have done everytthing correctly, your model will sit level. Keep in mind that lowering is limited to how wide a tire you use and how low you want to go.

Man this aint been my dang week got sick yesterday afternoon. Finally got a minute where I can get in my room and attack the site from my desktop instead of my Phone.

Here's the pics I promised days ago

S7302732.jpg

This is the rear only modded chassis I got at the moment but ya can see whats removed from mine by comparing it to one of your unmolested ones. I removed the arm above the diff and removed the shaft tunnel for clearance After this is done ya cut the spring to the right height and install the rear as in the instructions Kinda ugly but is all hidden on a built model. Plus I don't fuss much bout the side the shelf sees.

S7302731.jpg

Up front ya can see where my K member mounts on the frame are flat compared to the '10 frame in the background. this raises the K higher to the engine thus lowering the stance after this mod ya just gotta cut ya struts to the right height. If done right ya should actually still be able to mount the K as intended cause all the locating holes stay in the frame even where ya shave it down. Do these mods only after ya have selected wheels and tires because as said before they do limit how low the car can sit without major surgery to the wheel wells. Also do the front first so ya can use it to align the rear to the corect height ..... the front can only go so low while the rear can go as low as ya want .... one wrong cut and the car has a taildragger stance

Sorry to hear you're sick,old friend. "I see" said the sight challenged man to his hearing impaired friend! Yeah,I can do that. I've right clicked and saved all these pics (Mike,yours too) on the how to to a folder for quick and easy referance,so I can look at it when I get to it. I appreciate the help on that,guys,really :)

Edited by Olskoolrodder

Hey guys, I made some progress, and I picked up another stang kit today, ( used a HL coupon) I picked up the GT500 KR, my plan for it, and the reason why I bought is to make KITT from remake of Knight Rider.

10gta.jpg

So here is what the new stance looks like, I still have a little work to do up front, and the body has been cleared now too

10gt.jpg

Edited by martinfan5