Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '50 Oldsmobile Club Coupe 2'n1

What is the second version in the background? Panamerica racer or something? :blink:

Hershel McGriff's 1950 Carerra Pan American Road Race winner...so Revell is getting on the vintage race car bandwagon. The replica in the pics at the link is a 2dr sedan, though. Haven't seen any pics of the original race car (probably some grainy B&W pics out there somewhere).

http://www.conceptca...smobile-88.aspx

Edited by Rob Hall

Please don't tell me that "second version" is only a set of decals.

It's also a hubcaps, trim rings, and fender skirts delete version. :lol: Pretty weak for a second version IMHO, too, but I'm sure Revell's got another kit/version to release in a few years.

Hmmm, it appears Revell decided to mold the front bumper and grille as a single piece, too.

It's also a hubcaps, trim rings, and fender skirts delete version. :lol: Pretty weak for a second version IMHO, too, but I'm sure Revell's got another kit/version to release in a few years.

It's similar to what Moebius has done with the race versions of the Hudsons, but as a 2n1 instead of separate kits..

It's similar to what Moebius has done with the race versions of the Hudsons, but as a 2n1 instead of separate kits..

I would agree. I suppose when you think of '50 Olds Coupes, a great number of race cars don't come to mind, and I doubt more than ten people in the world were hoping for the Panamerica version. It just seems like an odd choice to me, as even a California Wheels style version with low-pro tires, larger diameter custom wheels, lowered front and rear suspension, and some flashier decals would seem to have a wider appeal.

I remember Revell trying the Panamerica race car version once before on a re-issue:

REV_2164-258x300.jpg

Hmmm, it appears Revell decided to mold the front bumper and grille as a single piece, too.

Very disappointing for a for a "2 in 1 Special Edition", but I guess it doesn't matter to me all that much since I just wanted the original anyway. 48 Ford and 49 Merc "Special Editions" were actually "2 in 1 Special Editions"; Revell could have at least added different rims and maybe bumpers...

When I lived in San Diego in the 70s I built a '49 Olds coupe with a bored 394 Olds engine and a '54 Olds Hydro that I put a B&M shift kit in to. It had a Pontiac rear (the Ford 9 inch on the 60s and 70s) with 54 inch long ladder bars (all built by me in a rented one car garage). It was the most fun 1:1 car I ever built! I will replicate that car from my past in plastic. I did it with one of the old Ertl diecast '50 Olds coupes many years ago. I will likley get 4-5 of these to build some variants.

Many years ago at the IPMS Nationals, Accurate Miniatures was asking for suggestions for new models. They had just started doing cars (the Corvett Grand Sport and McLaren). I put down the '49/50 Olds coupe,'53 Hudson, and '55 Chrysler 300. When asked why those subjects, I indicated they were all pioneers in NASCAR and would be great sellers for that reason alone.The owner said they would never see the light of day. I guess he was wrong?

I guess so, maybe that is the reason they are no longer around? Suffered from the old "head in the sand" syndrome, & "if I don't like it no one will" problem.

i find it kinda strange that revell would try to pull that off...using the wrong body style but so obvious graphics to misidentify the car like that. just strange if they thought they were going to be able to get away with it without anyone who did even a little bit of research kinda noticing the big difference in the body styles. could it be they had another car, a coupe, in the same livery? doesnt sound likely but if not then this could be seen as an extreme foot-in-the-mouth moment for revell. i mean it doesnt affect my enjoyment of the kit, but it just seems strange marketing.

i find it kinda strange that revell would try to pull that off...using the wrong body style but so obvious graphics to misidentify the car like that. just strange if they thought they were going to be able to get away with it without anyone who did even a little bit of research kinda noticing the big difference in the body styles. could it be they had another car, a coupe, in the same livery? doesnt sound likely but if not then this could be seen as an extreme foot-in-the-mouth moment for revell. i mean it doesnt affect my enjoyment of the kit, but it just seems strange marketing.

Because the two in one* kit label on the box was more important that fact checking? And a set of decals for a close enough* car was the best they could come up with on such short* notice? Lol.... sarcasm* This is what happens when Revell gets rushed to release something in the time frame they actually commit to. Kit looks awsome aside from the whatever decals.

Dunno that I've ever see Revell really commit to a due date beyond what they tell vendors. I also hardly consider this rushed. Revell had the test shots already on hand when this kit was announced and here it is coming out 11 months after that. The Ford & '62 Vette (both which also already had test shots) are going to clock in over a year after the trio were revealed. If that's rushing against a deadline, I want a job like that.

It just seems like an odd choice to me, as even a California Wheels style version with low-pro tires, larger diameter custom wheels, lowered front and rear suspension, and some flashier decals would seem to have a wider appeal.

Totally agree Casey! In fact, my first build of this kit be exactly that. I think this will be a good kit for Revell. This Olds can be built to fit so many different genres. It would take a case or more to build all of the different kinds of models this body will lend itself to. To me, a natural for a 2n1 kit would have been stock and drag. But that's just my opinion...

Glad to see this coming out along with the `57 Ford. When I was a kid my uncle lived across the street from us. He had a `50 coupe and my dad had a `50 fast back sedan. Both car were a little bit souped up. I do know both had 3 dueuces, duel exhaust and at the time I thought they idled rough ( later found out they had cams) Dads fastback was Black and my uncles car was powder bule with flames . All I remember is those things would haul tail.

I've always wondered what the difference was between a regular 2-door sedan and a club coupe. Now I can see the differences.

I wonder how hard it would be to lengthen the roof to make a correct 2-door sedan?

Either way, and as I build stock, it's not that big a deal to me about the racing stuff, I'm still really looking forward to this kit.

Charlie Larkin