Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stripping Old Paint Off of Resin??

I have acquired a resin '60 Chevy ( Biscayne? ) four door sedan that appears to be a combination of a resin model and a promo. The chassis is definitely not resin with it's remaining thick old style axle that is holding the front wheels on and it is not warped. The body and interior bucket are really rough on the undersides suggesting that they were cast in resin and not styrene and the model feels heavy. The windows are formed acetate and the wheel covers are flat discs with the proper engraving but I am thinking that they are also promo parts. The front seat is definitely a full bench four door seat. The car is almost devoid of side trim except for the "airplanes" that are attached to the rear doors so I am thinking that it is a Biscayne model although the tail light and rear panel trim suggests Impala. The rear bumper is dated 1960 but the front bumper does not have a license plate and from where the chrome has chipped off on some of the edges, it appears that it could be a resin grille thata has been chrome plated as the colour of the material used to cast it is a yellowish colour.

Now this leads me to my questions - does anyone have any ideas as to who may have made this model? It seems fairly accurate proportionatly but it does seem odd that it does not have the Impala side trim - unless it may have been removed. The interior bucket detailing is poor so it's difficult to tell until I get the paint stripped off of it as to what ( if any ) interior trim level the model has.

Next question is how can I safely remove paint from a resin kit? Will Easy Off work or Purple Power? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

And lastly, would any casters out there be interested in using this to make a mold to perhaps cast a few of these four doors? This would make a really cool police cruiser or taxi??? Or is there someone out there who has a four door sedan on the market that isn't a make over from the Monogram hardtop? The windshield height seems pretty much right for a sedan on this car and I am thinking that it may be an old obsolete casting. I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks. :mellow::blink::)

MVC-001S.jpg

MVC-002S.jpg

MVC-003S-1.jpg

MVC-005S.jpg

From the looks of it Gary, it is a TOTALLY resin cast model. And to be honest with you, it looks as bad as a R&R kit. It DOES look like you can rescue it without TOO much trouble. It MIGHT be just a 4 dr Biscayne with the Impala spear. It it has 3 tailights it has to be an Impala though. That's why I THINK it COULD be an R&R kit. Ray sometimes doesn't bother to change things on some bodies he casts, an it can confuse things. As far as takein paint off, I've been told regular of laquer thinner won't hurt resin, BUT I'VE NEVER tried it, so don't take me word as the norm!:blink::mellow::)

:)Thanks for the input guys - I appreciate it. The actual exterrior of the body is no worse than some other resins that I have seen and in fact, it seems better than some. I am just happy to find a four door sedan for a change. I never clued in about the chassis - you are right - it should be an X frame. This thing seems to be something that someone cobbled together from a resin body and interior as the chassis is not resin - I know that for sure now. I have a proper promo style chassis from an old '59 Impala convertible Craftsman kit that I can put under the '60 even though the trunk floor will not be right because of the spare tire well being on the side of the trunk on a '59. Oh well, I am happy to have it and I'll give the laquer thinners a try today and post my results tonight. Thanks again.. B):blink:;)

:)Thanks for the input guys - I appreciate it. The actual exterrior of the body is no worse than some other resins that I have seen and in fact, it seems better than some. I am just happy to find a four door sedan for a change. I never clued in about the chassis - you are right - it should be an X frame. This thing seems to be something that someone cobbled together from a resin body and interior as the chassis is not resin - I know that for sure now. I have a proper promo style chassis from an old '59 Impala convertible Craftsman kit that I can put under the '60 even though the trunk floor will not be right because of the spare tire well being on the side of the trunk on a '59. Oh well, I am happy to have it and I'll give the laquer thinners a try today and post my results tonight. Thanks again.. :lol:;);)

I hope that you read this before you use Lacquer Thionner . It will ill effect older resins . These weren't as well distrubited , resin & catalist , as todays Plastics . It will cause you a real haedache . I have always used 409 . It takea a little longer . Easy off will soften and cause to sag resins . I could use that Ford Chassis you have there . Please PM me for swap or trade . Thanx ..

B) Thanks for the tip on the thinners, John. The paint on the car is really fairly decent v- I'll just go with a scuff coat and some cleaning up and spray it. I looked at it closely today and while yes, the inside of the shell is sort of crude and a bit scabby looking, the actual exterior of the car is really pretty decent. So what do I do with it? What do you guys think? Give me some feedback.. some ideas.. Vintage RCMP police cruiser ( we used a lot of four doors ) or a small town police cruiser - taxi - a family driver? I want it basically stock and I sure wish that I could get my hands on several more of these four doors.. It doesn't look like any moldings have been sanded off - it is almost certainly a base line Biscayne. That makes it pretty cool in my books! Is there any way to get a resin casting of the roof of this car to convert a '59 into a four door sedan?

BTW, you have email, John. B):):)

Is there any way to get a resin casting of the roof of this car to convert a '59 into a four door sedan?

Sure there is. Just like the discussion regarding the AAM 1959 Biscayne, purchase about 5 pounds of RTV silicone, a few pounds of the right type of clay, and some resin and make a mold of the body. $150 or so in raw materials and yours or someone elses time (and more $$$) and you can have all the roofs you can use.