Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rally Car CBP

Dingo5162

And...you've guessed a few more pics.....

The steering and photo-etch pedals

17-pedals-gearchange-steeringcolumn-co-driversfootplate.jpg

The first couple of coats of white..

21-4.jpg

The sides of the rollcage before the seats go in......

34-4.jpg

A plasticard section glued in place to stop the rear axle dropping off!

39-4.jpg

And a few more to come...

right here we are again..

55-2.jpg

That was a front view of both seats in.

Decals on t'other side.....

62-2.jpg

As all the interior is done, we'll pop in the last piece of the rollcage...

60.jpg

That's it so far. As I work in a cabin in the garden I may have to wait a few days to do some more as my son has ordered a replacement alloy wheel for his Golf. So it looks like I'm stuck in doors for a day or so!

A few more pics....Firstly the Michelin tyre decals, perhaps a bit close to the rims!

66-3.jpg

Next the brake calipers are painted red and fixed to the drilled discs...

68-1.jpg

The decals are finished on the rear of the body....

70-1.jpg

and ...the floor/chassis is shaved down (sorry a bit out of focus) to allow the pe grill to sit correctly....

69-1.jpg

The next thing is the fix the discs to the back of the wheels and onto the axles, remembering the larger discs are at the front.

I know I should be fitting those brake discs to the back of the wheels, but as I felt brave today I thought I would put the windows in instead. Well I can tell you now that the way these are to fit into the windscreen surrounds from the outside (like a real car)is the best I've seen in a kit. They come in a thin plastic dome like most screens do but with these you cut them out, around the black surround with a new sharp blade. You then drop them into place using your chosen form of adhesive. I had to fit the rear wing over the rear opening before I could fit the screen from below.

72-1.jpg

73.jpg

74.jpg

75.jpg

Now tomorrow I may well fit the dashboard into the bodyshell and get round the fixing those brake discs into the back of those wheels!

Yes dingo that would look good but the light pod covers up a lot of the bonnet! But I might do it all the same. Some more pics of todays work, more decalling this time on the windows....

77.jpg

79-1.jpg

80-1.jpg

I hope to do some more over the weekend but we have the first of the F1 races in Australia, with the televised practice tomorrow, the qualifying on Saturday and the race on Sunday all on Sky Sports F1 Channel this year. (with a few on live on the BBC 1 channel Freeview) I suppose my local team Red Bull will be there up front somewhere, I also hope that McLaren make a better go of it this year and my other local team Sahara Force India with Hulkenberg and David Coulthard's cousin Paul DiResta have a fighting chance.

Edited by PatW

Patami, there's no harm in dreaming my friend a few years ago I would have luved to seen little known Aussie (gee that;s how little know he is I can't remember his name) win even a round of the WRC but it never happened anyway I think Kimi will get there one day after he's part of the Scandinavian (not meant as an insult either) pack who turn out great rally drivers. I have folowed many a Fins, Swedes and Norwigans driving carreer in rallying when I was younger and a rally driver here in Australia and it was a Swedish driver who taught me the Scandinavian flick all thoughs years ago. Hope U'r going to be part of this thread my friend I'd luv to see another rally fan up here and running how about it Patrik.

Dingo B)

• 2 weeks later...

Here we are again, I've been away due to problems fitting the wheels to too larger metal axles supplied. I scooped out and enlarged the holes in the back of the wheels but left the wheel centres weak. Resulting in finally fitting the wheels and axles to the chassis and having the centres of the two rear wheels pulling out! So I ordered an aftermarket set of white metal rims and tyres with the MIchelin logo already laid up. Although slightly different I don't think they will detract from the build.(well no choice really as the resin wheels are not available) here are the two old wheels..........

82.jpg

And two of the new ones...........

81.jpg

So I've mounted both the front and rear light lenses and the door mirrors, with just the exhaust, wipers and tow hooks to go to finish.

PS 22.23pm I've just looked at Autosport my weekly motorsport comic and it shows the Skoda's that are due on the IRC Rally of Ireland this weekend and they are using identical wheels to my new aftermarket wheels shown above!

Edited by PatW

Here are the last three pics on this build...........

The headlight lenses, wipers, hood pins and towing eye (below the red arrow)......

90.jpg

91.jpg

And the rear of the car with tailgate pins, towing eye and new alloy exhaust tail pipe...

93.jpg

And of course the car is shown on it's new rims.

And now to get on with my next build, a Meyers Manx!

Patrick the Skoda looks pretty good to me my friend, my Falcon is not doing so good as I am having a hard time trying to get hold of the dash for the thing it's not that I'm find it hard to actually buy it it's just finding the time to travel 40km to where I have to get it. In the mean time I'm planning to put up a few cardstock cars even though they don't have interiors they have pretty good exteriors to build and R in 1/24th scale and 1/18th scale so should look OK.

Dingo B)

• 3 weeks later...

Wow PatW U're putting us all to shame with ya building of the rally cars well done on another one, R we going to see anymore. I have just printed off a few cardstock models all I have to do now is get the getup and go to build 'em .

Dingo B)

Hi Dingo5162, Well I'm into Meyers Manx buggies at present, having just posted one on 'kit reviews'. My next will possibly be just covered in carbon fibre decal and fit a Corvair motor! I've got a Nissan Touring Car and a resin Holden Clubsport to convert to a V8 Supercar with Valvoline decals from the Partsbox.

• 5 weeks later...

Patrick, wow ya going to convert a Clubsport to a V8 supercar good luck with that and I will look forward to seeing that on another part of the forum. Again sorry that I have been slow no so slow in posting on my thread here it's just that I been very busy lately with our gun club you see Patrick it's coming up to our AGM in July and as well its also the tme when we do our trophy presentation and ofcourse me being the club scorer I have had to along with another member get all the trophies p to scratch, it has been no mean feat with so many winners both as club champions for the month of March when we have our club champ matches and the yearly trophies for thoe who have done well and won with big scores during the year, anyway hopefully by the end of July I should get back to doing something on this thread and getting moore of my cardstock cars on here for U to see, as for the plastic ones well I'm sorry tsay they have come to an end as I can no ,onger afford to buy any with the Aussie dollar dropping in value like it has now at 96cents to the U.S dollar it makes a model here around $45 a kit now and I just can't afford that anymore so it's cardstock from now on FREE of the net.

Dingo B)