Model Cars Magazine Forum

Barrett Jackson Auction Begin Today!

The 43rd Annual BJ Auction begins today with an amazing array of vehicles, vendor displays and opportunities to test out new vehicles at the polo grounds. Purchased an event pass for the week and have enjoyed the past two preview days. Some of the picks for me are the 63 Shelby Cooper Monaco King Cobra, Sox & Martin Barracuda, the Hotwheels drag team of Prudhomme Snake FC and McEwen Mongoose FC complete with the restored ramp trucks, the 63 Vette "Asteroid" custom with an amazing metal flake gold finish, 69 Vette Rebel from the Daytona and Sebring races; the list just goes on!!! It is also interesting to see how tastes change. For the more mainstream vehicles there are a lot of Toyota Landcruisers (the first gen), Jeeps from all the years including recent SEMA display ones, plus a lot of small European makes like the BMW Issettas and their like. Seems like fewer Muscle cars overall.

Gotta run now, have a full day ahead!

Cheers Misha

Looking forward to the show..an artist friend of mine is set up w/ his automotive art in the pavillion. I'm probably going to go Friday and Saturday, may try and cram in the Gooding & Company auction on Friday and Russo & Steele over the weekend...always a lot of fun.

Is Barrett Jackson televised now that there is no speed channel? I haven't seen any advertisements for it on tv in quite a while. Then again, I could be missing them because my wife watches junk like The Bachelor and Dance Moms constantly. <_<

Fox and Fox Sports 1, I believe...

Let the bashing of the More Money than Brains Filthy Rich begin!!! :D

I'm planning on Sunday (1/2 price tickets) :wub::)

Mike I have a 2 for one voucher from Cox Communications for Sunday. I wish I could use it on Saturday....lol I was thinking of going since Don Prudhomme was going to have 2 of his funny cars that have been restored going up on the block. Was hoping to be able to get some good reference pics If I make it...lol

Don't forget to check the Automobilia section of the website:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/currentautomobilialist.aspx?aid=525&sd=01/12/2014&ed=01/21/2014

Some of the items really stretch the definition of automobilia (3-foot-tall statue of Bugs Bunny???) but there are many items that would look good copied in scale for dioramas. In past years they've had some collections of promo models (got my red '63 Ford convertible and dark aqua '66 Chrysler 300 hardtop there) but this year there are only two. Lot 5420 is an AMF Mustang with box:

163020_Auto_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

And lot 5424 is probably a Holy Grail to some of us here:

162945_Auto_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Anyone know how this thing works?

One amusing thing about the automobilia list is the B-J copywriter's constant tossing-in of random adjectives in front of the listings (Iconic, Neat, Stellar, Fabulous, etc., etc.). The Mustang's listing is the highpoint:

Barrett-Jackson Lot #5420 - WORTHY OF BRAGGING RIGHTS 1967 FORD MUSTANG FASTBACK 2+2 MOTORIZED DEALER PROMOTIONAL BY AMF.

Brian Griffin couldn't have written it better. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by ChrisBcritter

If you have "DISH" TV, starting today, look at channel 397 (6 pm central time) and channel 206 (8 pm central)

I don't know if they are the same or not, so, I will DVR both.

397 is not HD, 206 is HD. Both are FOX stations.

I searched "Barrett Jackson" and it did not come up.

You have to search "Car Auction" to find all the listings.

Again, this for "DISH" customers only. Don't know about "DIRECT" or cable.

Now, to talk my wife out of taping her shows...LOL.

Let the bashing of the More Money than Brains Filthy Rich begin!!! :D

Recently a lot of the auctions have seen a lot of dealers buying from other dealers who put their purchases in their own showrooms at a huge markup. Barrett Jackson and the other high profile auctions have priced the little guy out of buying anything restored, Hot Rods and Muscle Cars long ago. It's a shame too, for the most part collector cars (as in American Iron) have been a "Working Man's" hobby from the beginning.

Then again it's made the B-J guys a whole lot of money too, that's half the reason for the inflated prices in the first place, Auction Commission. For many it's entertainment, for a lot it was the beginning of the end of their lifelong hobby. It's fun to see the cars but I don't like it when you see restorations that look ten times better than they left the factory.

Not a big B-J fan as you could already tell, I might watch a few minutes if there's nothing else to do.

Barrett Jackson and the other high profile auctions have priced the little guy out of buying anything restored, Hot Rods and Muscle Cars long ago. It's a shame too, for the most part collector cars (as in American Iron) have been a "Working Man's" hobby from the beginning.

On the other side of the coin, it inflates the "perceived value" for owners of, not so restored cars. A guy watches Barrett Jackson Auctions & sees a, no expense spared, all NOS parts, fully restored, 100 point, fully documented, 70 Hemi Cuda sell for, say, $300,000 (sold at a loss, btw). Now he thinks his, rusty, slant 6, plain Jane, 70 Cuda must be worth at least $30,000. I actually overheard a guy, in a restaurant, saying he watched a Hemi Challenger go for stupid money, at B J, & if he put a Hemi in his, it would be worth the same. It was all I could do, to not go "school" him, about the difference. He seemed like the kind of guy, that would have argued his point, ad infinitum.

You should live here. It's always amazing. Year 'round there are car things going on and there are car guys everywhere.

But when the auctions come to town, every old car or truck known to mankind gets rolled out of the sheds and lean-tos, the unfound 'barn finds' get drug out, and average daily drivers suddenly become rare special-interest can't-live-without bargains. At least according to their sellers.

Nearly every street corner in and around Scottsdale is festooned with 'for sale by owner' four-wheeled road apples.

You gotta wonder where all these "gems" are hidden the other 11 months of the year.

Spent most of this evening in the main hall at B-J..they've expanded the indoor exhibit space since last year. Going back tomorrow to see the cars outside. The Gooding & Company auction (also in Scottsdale) this afternoon was really incredible as far as the classic European cars--vintage Ferraris, Fiats, Mercedes, Lancias, a Facel Vega, BMW M1, etc...

In the Ford exhibit at the entrance I saw a '15 Mustang GT, looked very sharp in person..also saw the new '14 CTS, Camaro Z-28, Corvette Stingray and Silverado in the GM exhibit.