Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8th Scale Allison V12 Buildup

Hello.

I am starting this thread to show the buildup of the first TDR Big Al model kit.

I have been doing the computer modeling on it for the past 2 months or so and I just finished it today. I will be sending the computer files off to the rapid prototype service tomorrow and should have the actual parts in hand by the end of next week.

I hope to show, in this thread, how to approach finishing these rapid prototype kits, made by TDR Innovations.

Here are some rendered computer graphic pics of Big Al just to give you an idea of where I am going to head with model.

bigal1-vi.jpg

bigal2-vi.jpg

bigal3-vi.jpg

bigal4-vi.jpg

bigal5-vi.jpg

bigal6-vi.jpg

Yes, I know it has been a long wait and I thank you guys for putting up with me. The original computer model I did, back about 3 years ago, lacked a lot of details. I was using a 3 axis CNC mill to make the parts back then and it really limited the amount of detail I could reproduce so I never put them into the computer model.

Now, using the rapid prototype method, there is no limit on the detail that can be made.

So I completely redid the Allison model from the ground up, trying to include as many of the details as I could. Believe me, this engine has a LOT of details. I guess since it was built for airborn use they really tried to keep the weight down. So instead of just casting thick flanges on every thing they made them thin and cast in bosses at almost every bolt hole. This really complicates the modeling process but it should be well worth it. This engine is going to have all kinds of surface details in it that should really POP out at you, especially if you use a dark wash on the engine. No slab sided engine parts here.

I plan on working up some different exhaust systems for this engine too. I am going to work up the 24 stub tubes that you would see on P51 or P38. I also want to work up some Zoomies that go strait up for the tractor pulling crowd and I want to work up a manifolded system that is going to be used in conjunction with a twin turbo setup for those that want to build hydroplanes or something really wild.

I also need to work up a tranny to hook up behind this thing too. Bolting up an automatic car tranny to this thing would be laughable. I will probably work something up that is loosly based on an Allison transmission, though I will keep it a lot shorter.

i was thinking about applications for this motor and something kind of unorthodox struck me: with the reintroduction of the big tub, im thinking about using the exterminator dragster frame to mount the motor inside what the "big tub" body would be and build a modular pilot area where the motor would normally be, and possibly use an aircraft sort of canopy to shield the driver. it would look like a big clear bubble for a supercharger or other high profile motor accessory and the motor would be behind the driver, back inside the tub! i havent done any drawings but it looks neat in my minds eye so far. not sure what i would do about a transmission and the linkage might be a bear but maybe fake an electronic automatic trans or something.

or maybe just adapt the big tub chassis to the motor in a similar fashion.

or even have the driver sit in the rear of the tub, and the motor stretch from the radiator, through where the firewall would be, and back into the front of the tub. i kinda like that one a lot.

so many possiblilites with a motor like this!

Sounds like you got bit by the Allison bug there William!!!! All your ideas sound interesting to me.

This engine really is the ultimate power plant for attracting attention to your model. It just stands up and scream...."LOOK AT ME!!!!"

I am thinking of making a tranny for the Allison that will bolt right up to the TDR 11 inch rear end for the trike. That would make the engine, tranny and rear one solid mechanical component. This setup should work really nice for a rear engine dragster too.

Then I can make a small tranny tail piece that can be attached to the tranny and set it up for a more conventional drive shaft output. That way the modeler can use a front engine setup if they want or the rear mount setup.

Tim

One of the most famous drag race cars of all time is the "Big Al" 34 Ford sedan that was powered by an Allison engine. There's a fascinating history if it in the November 2009 issue of Hot Rod Deluxe magazine.

Someone has to build an 8th scale 34 sedan!!!!

Here are a few Pics of the 1/12th scale Quad Al I did 2 or 3 years ago. The engines are done in resin. I made the masters for the silicone molds out of corian that was machined on a homemade 3 axis CNC mill I built.

The 3 axis mill really limited the details that I could reproduce on the Allison engines. Once we discovered rapid prototyping I knew I had to remodel the Allison engine inorder to take advantage of this higher level of detail that could be obtained.

This model is not an exact reproductions of the real Quad Al that was build, I just used it for inspiration. I tried to think of how I would build this beast .........if I had about a million dollars laying around and noting to do for a year or so.......

Anyway, here are some pics of the Quad Al. Now all we need is someone to build this thing in 1/8 scale!!! But you better have about 3 feet of shelf space available

100_1274-vi.jpg

100_1275-vi.jpg

100_1276-vi.jpg

100_1277-vi.jpg

100_1281-vi.jpg

100_1282-vi.jpg

Edited by DaytonaTim

Here are a few Pics of the 1/12th scale Quad Al I did 2 or 3 years ago. The engines are done in resin. I made the masters for the silicone molds out of corian that was machined on a homemade 3 axis CNC mill I built.

The 3 axis mill really limited the details that I could reproduce on the Allison engines. Once we discovered rapid prototyping I knew I had to remodel the Allison engine inorder to take advantage of this higher level of detail that could be obtained.

This model is not an exact reproductions of the real Quad Al that was build, I just used it for inspiration. I tried to think of how I would build this beast .........if I had about a million dollars laying around and noting to do for a year or so.......

Anyway, here are some pics of the Quad Al. Now all we need is someone to build this thing in 1/8 scale!!! But you better have about 3 feet of shelf space available

100_1274-vi.jpg

100_1275-vi.jpg

100_1276-vi.jpg

100_1277-vi.jpg

100_1281-vi.jpg

100_1282-vi.jpg

MAN THIS IS ONE BAD MACHINE!!! I GOT TO SEE IT IN TOLEDO LAST YEAR AND I WAS POSTED NEXT TO IT WITH MY "SOO-BADD" TRUCK K-5 BLAZER AND MY 1963 IMPALA I WAS WORKING ON!!! GREAT WORK ON IT BROTHER!!

Hey Santiago!

How you been? How is the Impala coming along? Did not see you at Toledo this past Oct. I guess it is hard to make all the shows though especially when they are 2000 miles away.

Thanks for the good words. This new version of the Allison is going to be much better though. Hopefully I will get it in a few days. This is always the harderst part.....standing by the mailbox....... waiting for a new creation to arrive, it seems to take forever.

I have been thinking about this trike build up.......I think I am going to try and incorporate as many P15 Mustang parts in it as I can. As if someone had a P51 setting in their barn and just decided to build a trike out of it...... Hopefully I will have it done by Oct 2010 for the Toledo show.

Good to hear from you

Tim

Well, finished up the tranny for the Allison. I designed it so it can be used in a rear engine setup or a conventional engine/tranny/driveshaft/rear end setup. The tranny is loosely designed around an Allison auto tranny.

The conventional setup uses the auto tranny with a tailpiece that includes a tranny mount if the modeler should need it.

The rear engine setup is the same as the conventional except the modeler just leaves off the tailpiece. The back of the tranny is designed to mate directly up with the TDR 11 inch rear end. So you can have a solid 1 piece mechanical system.

This rear engine setup is what I am going to use to make my Trike.

Well here are a few pictures.

tailpiece_1-vi.jpg

tailpiece_2-vi.jpg

trike_2-vi.jpg

trike_3-vi.jpg

trike_1-vi.jpg

Hey Santiago!

How you been? How is the Impala coming along? Did not see you at Toledo this past Oct. I guess it is hard to make all the shows though especially when they are 2000 miles away.

Thanks for the good words. This new version of the Allison is going to be much better though. Hopefully I will get it in a few days. This is always the harderst part.....standing by the mailbox....... waiting for a new creation to arrive, it seems to take forever.

I have been thinking about this trike build up.......I think I am going to try and incorporate as many P15 Mustang parts in it as I can. As if someone had a P51 setting in their barn and just decided to build a trike out of it...... Hopefully I will have it done by Oct 2010 for the Toledo show.

Good to hear from you

Tim

What's up Tim!!

man i remember last years show, it was one for the record books!! i've been ok and getting better and loving my new job with C-VIP CHAUFFEUR as a driver and i get to drive all over the west coast and i make 3times the amount from my former job and plus tips in cash and credit cards too so i'm getting to be well off and starting to save for the shows for 2010 :o my 63 was in front of your massive machine but it was only the frame i was still building with the body next to it.

nnltoledo2008119-vi.jpg

nnltoledo2008108-vi.jpg

and now this is what she looks like :D it was going to be a "Low Rider" full custom! but i took the first off ramp to Low Rodville and stayed their.

DSCN0626.jpg

DSCN0627.jpg

nnleast-09-_0398-1.jpg

DSCN0164.jpg

nnleast-09-_0394.jpg

now it's finished and it's been travaling from san diego to san jose but just the frame and to 98% finished to new york and to vegas and route 66 and to a IPMS here in san diego and now back to toledo next year toledo show. :D Take care of your self and i'll be seeing you again real soon brother! God Bless and hit me up some time. i'll pm you my cell number ;) Santiago

Edited by Mr.1/16th

Ok, been clicking the ole mouse some more while waiting on the delivery of the basic Allison engine.

Thought I would work up something that is completely over the top.

This is based on some pics of some hydroplanes power plants.

If this aint enough power for you.........you need some serious therepy!!!!

al_7-vi.jpg

al_8-vi.jpg

Ok, been clicking the ole mouse some more while waiting on the delivery of the basic Allison engine.

Thought I would work up something that is completely over the top.

This is based on some pics of some hydroplanes power plants.

If this aint enough power for you.........you need some serious therepy!!!!

al_7-vi.jpg

al_8-vi.jpg

All right, now I have to remember what I did wit that old Dumas flat bottom boat kit. :lol:

The TDR Allison is now finished and has been added to the TDR Innovations list of products. This engine is available in several configurations along with an optional transmission and engine stand. We've had a lot of support from many people during this project so we are offering the engine at a significant discount until the end of the year.

We're working on some photos for our web site but in the mean time, those of you who have expressed an interest in this engine can contact us at "tdr.innovations@gmail.com" and we'll answer your questions and take your orders.

You'll see the first kit photos and build tutorial here on MCM.

Edited by arick

Well the mailman finally brought the Allison today.

This baby is big.....really big......but I was able to keep the weight down, read that as cost down, by really taking some extra time to hollow out all the parts that I could. I weighed all the parts and it only tips the scale at 19 oz!!

Here are some pictures of the raw kit as delivered from the rapid prototype service.

Oh, one note. The first picture shows the intake manifold and 2 Carter AFB carburators from the TDR 426 Hemi comparted to just the carburetor of the Allison. The Allison carb is bigger than the intake and carbs of the Hemi!!!! But that is the size of carb you need when you are feeding a blown 1710 cubic inch motor!! I told you this thing was big!!

100_2181-vi.jpg

100_2174-vi.jpg

100_2176-vi.jpg

100_2177-vi.jpg

100_2178-vi.jpg

100_2179-vi.jpg

100_2180-vi.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Complimenti per la stupenda Realizzazione SIA del Motore Che delle auto.

Volevo chiedere con Quale Programma 3d E Stato Realizzato Il Motore, Chiedo QUESTO sto disegnando in 2d lo Stesso Motore rilevando le Dimensioni da ONU Motore originale, é una impresa Molto impegnativa per il tempo che occorre.

Il Tutto Sarà, Ridotto in scala 1/4 per realizzare Una Copia funzionante spero, volevo chiedere se E Possibile Potere utilizzare i Suoi 3d per confrontarli e cosi diminuire i Tempi di Lavorazione venire Disegni.

Attendo risposta

Grazie

Edited by AQUILA

Congratulations for the wonderful realization of the 3D enerin that car.

I wanted to ask which program has been deigned 3D drawings of the engine ; l ask this because l'm making drawings in 2D the engine size,it is a complicated undertaking but not impossible.

Everything will be reduced in scale 1/4 to construct a working copy of same engine l hope to make it happen.

I wanted to ask if you can use the 3D drawings to compare them and thus decrase the processing time of the drawings,the scale used her into according to my needs.

Ihope you can help me in my creation.

Thank you