Model Cars Magazine Forum

Grey Peterbilt 379

Alright, enough lurking. Might as well post now. I started an Italeri Long Hauler 378. It's an experiment on how an Italeri kit builds up. Up to now it is going together very well and most stuff is falling into place, including the exhaust system.

(At first I was going to build it box stock, but...) I like to take inspiration off of what I see on the road and I wasn't happy with the 378 sloped hood since most of the Peterbilts I see are 379's. So I followed Tim A.'s instructions to make it a 379-119. The rear hubs were shortened, buttons for the caps, the wheels still rotate too as I like to have the mobile parts on my models to "work" as intended.

I also started to experiment with different types of aluminum finishes, the kit chrome being a bit much for realism. I "Bare Metaled" the fuel tanks and air filters, painted the weels and toll boxes with Alclad II chrome, and flattened the chrome from the bumper, grill and battery boxes with an Alclad II "light sheen" clear coat. I still kept some kit chrome for a little flash.

I decided to try my hand at resin parts also as the tool boxes are from AITM and some photo etch parts as the flap weight and some truck badges will be parts from the KFS Pterbilt photoetch tree. So here are some teaser pictures of my work in progress. More pictures as work progresses.

peterbilt1.jpg

peterbilt2.jpg

peterbilt3.jpg

peterbilt4.jpg

peterbilt5.jpg

I love the fuel tanks, are those stock or resin products? Nice work!!

The tanks are the ones from the kit. Since there is a huge joint between the two halves, I wanted to get rid of it so i sanded the joint area downa ll along the tanks. Then I took out the Bare Metal sheet and covered the ends first, then the barrel, keeping the holding straps in the original kit chrome. I will try a piece of abs tubing to make custom fuel tanks on some other project for sure though!

Thanks for the encouragement guys. At the start of this build I just didn't know where to go with this kit and then I found it... I wanted to do a Peterbilt with the Winslow type stripes for a long time and this picture is the inspiration for my model.

laidlawinspiration.jpg

My truck is nearing completion, I need to adjust the exhaust "Y" pipe and the intake pipes. I need to install the front bumper, the rear lights, the grill and rear view mirrors, then I need to find some more transparent decal material to finish the markings. It's gone pretty well up until now, the decal stripes gave me some work, but the kit went together smoothly thanks to the ideas I found in this forum and on Tim's trucks site. Overall it looks good. Pictures to come up soon.

Edited by BigBad

Great job so far. I like the changed hubs and the tool box. Surprising is the DD logo location on the mud flaps. At least I´ve never seen that. I would get rid of the tabs on the fuel tank strap. These are mounting points for the frame fairings. Since 379 doesn´t have any, the tabs should be off.

The Winslow stripes look very good. Can´t wait to see them on your build.

More teasers... Not finished but getting there.

I added cab skirts from .040 styrene sheet, added Bare Metal foil and the chicken lights from the previously mentioned photoetch tree.

cabskirt.jpg

The grill is completed, I used another page from the Tim's Trucks big book of Peterbilt building, I painted the headlight buckets black first, then coated the back of the lenses with bare metal foil for more definition.

grillt.jpg

Shot from the hood left side with the Pete logo and surround from photo etch. Excuse the clarity of the pic.

hoodside.jpg

So, now on to the last stretch. All I can say for now is that this kit is easy to put together, I was a little put off with the cab being multi part, but the castings are very precise and it goes well together, of course, most of you already knew that, but being fairly new to these kits I wasn't!

Almost finished. Some decals and aerials left to be added. I'm having some trouble opening the hood, it opens only maybe a 1/3 of the way, the bumper-grill gap is a little tight, I might have to remove the bumper for some adjustment. Took some pictures of what i have.

finishedfrontleft.jpg

finishedleftside.jpg

finishedrightrear.jpg

finishedleftside2.jpg

Anyway, it looks better in person than pictures. I'll take some pictures outside tomorrow.

Edited by BigBad

Great job so far. I like the changed hubs and the tool box. Surprising is the DD logo location on the mud flaps. At least I´ve never seen that. I would get rid of the tabs on the fuel tank strap. These are mounting points for the frame fairings. Since 379 doesn´t have any, the tabs should be off.

The Winslow stripes look very good. Can´t wait to see them on your build.

Hey Jarda, thanks for the comment. I liked the Detroit Diesel metal sign I had, since these are a little big for the hood sides... I decided to use them as mud flap weights. They are almost the right size anyway! Yes I noticed the tabs on the tank straps, I don't like them either, but since this is an exercise, I'm going to leave them alone for the time being. But the next time I build a Pete... These are going to take a hike.

More pictures outside.

compare this one to the real truck:

peteoutleftsidecompare.jpg

laidlawinspiration.jpg

I know... This is a 379-127, mine's a 379-119... Picky,picky!

One of its best pictures:

petedeck4best.jpg

petedeck5good.jpg

peteout7.jpg

peteengine1.jpg

I wasn't too sure about the exact engine color on series 60's so I just painted it something closer to Alpine Green:

peteengine1.jpg

peteengine2.jpg

petedeck7good.jpg

I got more but... You get the picture!

I will put more details on it such as the hood convex mirrors, once I figure out how to make them, then the decals and the trailer connections. Next project: 48' spread axle step deck out of two AMT Fruefauf flatbeds with 2 hole buds from KFS and tool boxes from AITM and some scratch building.

Edited by BigBad