Model Cars Magazine Forum

My garage diorama

When I lived in Iowa, I resided on a farm. There had been a chicken coop there many years before, and the 40' X 30' foundation was still in evidence. I got the idea to build a garage there, and my wife suggested that I do a mock-up to see whether it would fill my needs. What was supposed to be just some walls and a base, got out of hand, and became a full fledged diorama. The base is 1/4" plywood attached to 2" X 2" boards for a sub base. The walls are Tupelo that I ran through the bandsaw so that I could get the thinness that I wanted. I used Tupelo because it's strong and has an almost unrecognizable grain. I mixed Silica sand with house paint for the stucco affect.

The models are painted trophies from the AMT Trophy Series kits. My wife did the magazines and the kitty litter bags. I'm sorry about the quality of the first few pictures, but they were taken about 12 years ago with a basic camera. The last few were shot more recently.

first set

GarageDiorama1.jpg

GarageDiorama2.jpg

GarageDiorama3.jpg

GarageDiorama4.jpg

GarageDiorama5.jpg

second set

diorama-4.jpg

diorama-3.jpg

diorama-2.jpg

Edited by Kodiak Island Modeler

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Kodiak,

Just brousing through dioramas today (thinking about building one) and came across your excellent piece of work, looks really natural, you just did a great job, I love it. Pictures are really pretty good, gave me some ideas, thanks for posting for us.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

great build it inspires me even more on my build how did you get the old tire looking effect i cant figure that out.

It was part planned and part accident. I sanded all of the tires, but then the diorama sat for a long time. When I came back it had a light coating of dust. I liked what I saw, and just took a small paint brush to areas of the diorama where the dust would have been disturbed. When I was satisfied, I sprayed a light coat of dullcoat. The dust you see is actual.

• 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...