Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Sunoco Ferrari 512M

Scale-Master

This has been on my “need to do” list for quite a while. It is a Fisher Pattern & Model kit. It is engineered and cast exceptionally well and the directions are very informative.

First I cleaned up the body, not very much effort required for that. A good wash in detergent and water, then a light coat of primer that I sanded before final clean up test fitting and paint prep.

DSC02275_zps23731310.jpg

DSC02276_zps1c2e1130.jpg

Woo hoo! This is one of my all time favorite cars, and IMNSHO, I don't think it ever looked better than when it ran in Sunoco livery. If i remember my history correctly, Roger Penske had more involvement with this car than Ferrari, but the Porsches still dominated at the track.

I can't wait to see all the steps Mark takes before this one's ready for the Under Glass section.

The Kirk White/Penske/Sunoco 512M. One of the Cars David Hobbs (codriver) really didn't enjoy driving - Mark Donohue liked driving with a Locked Rearend instead of a Differential and Hobbs didn't.

Hey Mark, given your skills you ought to build it as it finished the 24 hours at Daytona!

Just an FYI to show how these kits are engineered. Most of the smaller resin parts are molded on a sheet like this. Very easy to remove and almost just as easy to clean up. Notice that some extra small parts are included, just in case… (common practice in Fisher kits).

DSC02277_zpsc949c5a7.jpg

The main PE sheet is also very nice… There are also some pre-made gauges with lenses included (inside bag) and another small sheet.

DSC02278_zps894204d2.jpg

Same term I use Ed… So, how about some PE origami? The interior tub folds up from one piece into this. Just follow the instructions. I did have to do some finessing (cutting and filing) of the resin tub to get it to fit without binding. Again, even the instructions advise to do so.

DSC02288_zpsb3ce5d69.jpg

A couple more PE pieces bent and installed…

DSC02293_zps9b6a6756.jpg

• 1 month later...

The tires are resin. Mine were a little off in the tread area, not bad enough to require much if any work, but then a couple minutes on the lathe made them true, so why not…? Even the backs are cleanly cast only needing a few minutes of sanding to prep for paint. I didn’t have to do anything to the outer sidewalls.

DSC02292_zpsd0c2186f.jpg

The rims are two pieces each. A white metal outer rim:

DSC02291_zpse660e83d.jpg

And a resin center. The bottom two have been cleaned up, the top two are how they come from the box. The flash is minor and clean up only takes a few minutes.

DSC02290_zps93e8bcc6.jpg

And after a little sanding and polishing the outer rims look like this…

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Scale-Master/media/1971%20Sunoco%20Ferrari%20512M/DSC02299_zps8c36361e.jpg.html]DSC02299_zps8c36361e.jpg[/url

I painted the tires semi-gloss black and hit the tread area with some dirtied (brownish) black. The tire decals weren’t the right arc shape, they looked as though they were for smaller diameter tires, but a little coaxing with some decal solvent and I was able to correct that and stretch out the wrinkles too. After the Goodyear decals were applied I shot them with clear flat.

DSC02398_zpsf88a0f1e.jpg